Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

8 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Haven’t seen one either. Guess they didn’t publish one yet. 

Yeah I've checked their social media channels, I'm interested to see the placings! 

An optimist might say they haven't published one because it's changing again early next week... :rolleyes:

I wonder if they intend to increase the daily capacity. A bigger Barn and a new,  small but open air stage means that they can theoretically expand the capacity. If not, signing more bands due to the extra stage might decrease the funds dedicated to the undercard (same amount of money gain from tickets and alcohol goes to more bands, even if they're small). Otherwise why do so?  I dont remember being in a stacked Barn in 2016 (tbf that edition didnt sell out) and in 2015 the only acts that filled the Barn were Elbow (no one played on the mainstage opposite to them because FF full set was replaced by 1-hour of FNM), alt-j (opposite to no one on mainstage) and maybe Damien Rice. I didnt go last year so I dont know but in my opinion last year the Barn was pretty weak.

1 hour ago, alexlloyd said:

Yeah I've checked their social media channels, I'm interested to see the placings! 

An optimist might say they haven't published one because it's changing again early next week... :rolleyes:

You could easily be right. Next week is ‘Week van de eigen kweek’ (Google translate is your friend) on Belgian radio station and RW media partner Studio Brussel. Last year they announced a Belgian act every day that week, so let’s see what they’ll do this year...

11 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Your trolling has become quite obvious. Try better. This lineup consists of almost every big act touring that weekend. Only Mad Cool does better in that manner. 

Thursday, Saturday and sunday (!) are already stacked. I do have to say friday still feels slightly light, but the headliners are clearly missing there.

Once it is finished, this lineup (literally) will be huge. 

Trolling?, dear god!, where are you getting that from?...I'm not making up bands playing to then just laugh. I'm actually disappointed and it's one I looked at giving a go. Mad Cool does beat it yes but largely due to Depeche Mode and Underworld.

I didn't say anyone else had to share the view but for me the headliner on Friday would have to be really good for it to be considered. Compare to last year which also was heavily aided by LP, Blink and SOAD....not this year doesn't have clowe to that, there was 13 acts I would see. 2016 was about 15 I'd give ago.

15 minutes ago, Gossard said:

In 2016 we had a very weak Thursday and got Paul McCartney announced late (February 15th). Now we have a very weak Friday and are missing a headliner....am I reading too much into this? :) 

I'e been thinking the same thing:) Just curious who it could be then. Probably won't be a band that contrast too much with rest of the Friday line up, for ex Pantera playing after Snow Patrol;)

1 minute ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I'e been thinking the same thing:) Just curious who it could be then. Probably won't be a band that contrast too much with rest of the Friday line up, for ex Pantera playing after Snow Patrol;)

In 2010 Pink played before Rammstein so who knows :P 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

Linkin Park and Blink were awful (SOAD was great though), but this years Saturday already bowls over that day. Pearl Jam and Jack White is a much stronger combination than 2 nu metal bands from the 00s. (And most definitely more expensive too) C'mon. 

It all comes down to taste of course. 

Blink-182 is not a nu-metal band!

I'm no Linkin Park fan but I thought they were amazing last year. I agree with you on SOAD, imo best act last year. Having said that, a line-up featuring Pearl Jam is always better then a line-up without Pearl Jam on it! ;) 

2 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I was talking about the 2 headliners. ;-)

And while SOAD was excellent, I dare to say Radiohead was even better. 

System of a Down is not a nu-metal band either.....

And I can't agree with you on Radiohead. That concert is topping my list of worst bands I've seen at RW.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Linkin Park and Blink were awful (SOAD was great though), but this years Saturday already bowls over that day. Pearl Jam and Jack White is a much stronger combination than 2 nu metal bands from the 00s. (And most definitely more expensive too) C'mon. 

Amen to that.

Totally agreed with @Gossard , not a fan of Linkin Park, nor SOAD, and I love listening to Radiohead. I was behind the pit every time; Big disappointment with Radiohead, bad starting of the set, so that we left at the wrong moment, cause apparently they started to play their good songs at that moment, but we already debated it on this topic. And on the contrary, and to my surprise, I found that SOAD and Linkin Park both were excellent, and clearly two of the best acts of last year. Youtube can confirm (and it was as loud as this far from the stage). 

Anyway, Jack White - Pearl Jam is indeed probably a better combination, than any combination of last year. I'm more and more believing in a very strong and unexpected headliners combination on Friday. Did we rule out a Europe tour by Bruce Springsteen there ? Broadway shows end on 30th June. And he's a friend of The Killers, I'm sure they would be stoked to open for him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tremousse said:

Totally agreed with @Gossard , not a fan of Linkin Park, nor SOAD, and I love listening to Radiohead. I was behind the pit every time; Big disappointment with Radiohead, bad starting of the set, so that we left at the wrong moment, cause apparently they started to play their good songs at that moment, but we already debated it on this topic. And on the contrary, and to my surprise, I found that SOAD and Linkin Park both were excellent, and clearly two of the best acts of last year. Youtube can confirm (and it was as loud as this far from the stage). 

Anyway, Jack White - Pearl Jam is indeed probably a better combination, than any combination of last year. I'm more and more believing in a very strong and unexpected headliners combination on Friday. Did we rule out a Europe tour by Bruce Springsteen there ? Broadway shows end on 30th June. And he's a friend of The Killers, I'm sure they would be stoked to open for him.

This video is insane....!

15 hours ago, e2p2 said:

I wonder if they intend to increase the daily capacity. A bigger Barn and a new,  small but open air stage means that they can theoretically expand the capacity. If not, signing more bands due to the extra stage might decrease the funds dedicated to the undercard (same amount of money gain from tickets and alcohol goes to more bands, even if they're small). Otherwise why do so?  I dont remember being in a stacked Barn in 2016 (tbf that edition didnt sell out) and in 2015 the only acts that filled the Barn were Elbow (no one played on the mainstage opposite to them because FF full set was replaced by 1-hour of FNM), alt-j (opposite to no one on mainstage) and maybe Damien Rice. I didnt go last year so I dont know but in my opinion last year the Barn was pretty weak.

the Barn was stacked for some of the shows last year. I recall rag'n'bone man and soulwax playing with the gates closed, but i think it happened for other acts as well.

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

It all comes down to taste of course. 

Name wise...performance aside....LP, Blink and SOAD for records shit over PJ and Jack for me, I'm not PJ fan at all though bar not minding 1/2 songs maybe. Jack White I like but it's more so for the alternate projects, his 1st album was okay. He would restart The White Stripes tomorrow if Meg was game.

With Blink I'm on the side that it's not Blink without Tom as he was just as much a singer as Mark.....but they don't sound good live I admit. 

1 hour ago, Tremousse said:

I'm a bit biased with LP but even I got to the stage where I didn't like enough of the material that dawn on their shows or that output now enough. The YouTube video is great but Chester and fairplay can't shout like he did. HT is full at Download was a great show for my last....shame about the venue and event it was hosted at but hey.....I pretty much owe my about 8-10 years of my life for the band though, not just Chester.

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

the Barn was stacked for some of the shows last year. I recall rag'n'bone man and soulwax playing with the gates closed, but i think it happened for other acts as well.

Were you inside? They close the gates often due to people that stays near the entrances instead of getting inside. Since they replace the yellow tent with the hangar tent I recall multiple times that I got to the Barn a few minutes after the show started and I couldnt enter though my friends told me its far from being full inside. 

3 hours ago, Gossard said:

System of a Down is not a nu-metal band either.....

And I can't agree with you on Radiohead. That concert is topping my list of worst bands I've seen at RW.....

SOAD where quality last year, Radio sucked almost as bad as Linkin Park did