Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

Hey there!

New to the forum but I lurked it top to bottom in the last few months. I wanted to go back to festivals after a hiatus the last year and I always have been to Sziget (3 years in a row). I kept an eye on the Werchter and this year I am motivated to go in for this (also because Mad Cool went sold out...). 

So, I got few questions for you experts:

- Is it hard to get to the site from Bruxelles' airports? Can I carry a tent on the flight? How does that work? Is that safe (I love my tent)?

- How is camping there? Weather, people, security, distance from the stages, etc.? Is it better to pick the Hive? Do I have some extra costs apart from the separate ticket in the camping life (shower, charging phones and stuff)?

- How much does living in the festival costs usually, like beers and food?

- What is the atmosphere? I'm used to Sziget's one and I love it as it's 24/7 partying. Even if I'm not a party animal I dont want to run the risk to be among people who don't care to have a good time and fun. In other words: is Werchter worth to be attended even if going alone?

As I said, I'm used only to Sziget, so if anybody could compare those, it would make my day!

Thanks a lot people, read you on the site! :wub:

Edited by Yelo, the Parmiggiana

11 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Hey there!

New to the forum but I lurked it top to bottom in the last few months. I wanted to go back to festivals after a hiatus the last year and I always have been to Sziget (3 years in a row). I kept an eye on the Werchter and this year I am motivated to go in for this (also because Mad Cool went sold out...). 

- Is it hard to get to the site from Bruxelles' airports? Can I carry a tent on the flight? How does that work? Is that safe (I love my tent)?

- How is camping there? Weather, people, security, distance from the stages, etc.? Is it better to pick the Hive? Do I have some extra costs apart from the separate ticket in the camping life (shower, charging phones and stuff)?

- What is the atmosphere? I'm used to Sziget's one and I love it as it's 24/7 partying. Even if I'm not a party animal I dont want to run the risk to be among people who don't care to have a good time and fun. In other words: is Werchter worth to be attended even if going alone?

As I said, I'm used only to Sziget, so if anybody could compare those, it would make my day!

Welcome !

1) From Brussels, you have to take a train to Leuven (20 min more or less). The train ticket is free with your festival ticket. You'll have to print it before you leave. At Leuven station, there are some free shuttles that will bring you to the Festival site. You can bring your tent of course. Can you take it on your flight, I have no idea how it works, you'll have to check with your airline company.

2) The weather can be either pretty hot or rainy. It depends of the years. It's usually quite good but, never forget it can rain. The atmosphere in the camping is great (The Hive). The camping is at 15/20 walking distance from the festival area and it's really great. Charging phones is free. You have to pay for showers but I can't remember how much it is.

3) It's like 3€ for a beer. Tickets are at 1€50 and it's two tickets for a beer. It can go to 3,4 or 5 tickets for food wich is totally fine.

4) It's much more about music but the atmosphere is really chill, people friendly so you'll have a great time.

So yes, it's worth it going there :)

Edited by eratiti007

32 minutes ago, Yelo, the Parmiggiana said:

Hey there!

Just to add to what @eratiti007 said, RW is far from having Sziget entertainment. You can still party in the arena (usually there's music until 01:00-02:00) and in the campsite (party until 04:00) but the festival is about music with not much going on besides it. 

Going alone is a piece of cake. I did it once and Ill probably do it again this year. Everybody super friendly and you won't feel alone. 

Distance between stages is short, not more than 5 minutes from the mainstage to the tents, which are 1-2 minutes  walk from each other. 

You can buy food and drinks coupons in advance and it would be cheaper (2.5 euro for ticket).  You can also buy food&drinks with cash just outside the festival arena. 

Just to add: price for food/drink tokens is € 2,50 a piece when you buy in advance, € 2,75 when you buy with bank card on-site and € 3 when you buy with cash on-site. 

(Small) beers and soft drinks are 1 token, food ranges from 2-6 tokens, depending if you want fries or oysters :)

Atmosphere is really chill, people are super friendly and you’ll not have a problem finding a few drinks until about 4AM (outside the festival arena though). But don’t expect 24/7 parties...

8 minutes ago, eratiti007 said:

Probably but not sure. I remember I saw Rodrigo y Gabriela and The National at the end of May/beginning of June at the AB and the Cirque Royal and then, one month later at Werchter.

The National were a late addition back then IIRC, probably their show was sold out already when they were announced. In Beck's case there's a pretty good chance too, I think he'll play in a Belgian festival because the AB is too small for him and will instantly sell out so RW or another festival can announce him shortly after. 

1 hour ago, Apocalyptica said:

Guys what about 'the kooks' and 'yo la tengo'? 

They both seem pretty likely. Yo La Tengo are playing NOS Alive and MadCool the next week and The Kooks are playing NOS Alive (maybe Madcool too, but not yet announced). Anyway, they seem available for now. Would love to see them announced!

• Like 1

I'm hoping to get At least 15/25 names right! . Let's see :)

1.wolf Alice 

2. Yo la tengo 

3. The kooks 

4. The killers 

5 kasabian 

6 Oscar and the wolf 

7. Bon iver 

8.father John misty 

9.the war on drugs 

10. George ezra

11 grizzly bear 

12. Haim

13. Perfume genius 

14. Alice in chains

15. The national 

16. Goo goo dolls 

17. Bear's Dean 

18. At the drive - in

19. Vance joy

20. Lord Huron 

21. Biffy clyro 

22. Jack Johnson 

23. Liam Gallagher 

24. Gojira 

25. Portugal. The man

• Like 1

Two door cinema club announced for finsbury park july 1st. Also the vaccines and marmozets (amongst others). 

and the killers announced at a fest in the us at the end of july, which means they can yet announce more dates (hopefully werchter). We'll see tomorrow... 

i'm going with two door, mgmt, alice in chains, marmozets, jack johnson and biffy for tomorrow's announcement 

Edited by GerryL