Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

Expecting NIN to close the Barn, since he said himself to be more demanding about festival slots (night time slots, for instance) and the Barn would suit his demands perfectly. And NIN in a late night Main Stage slot would be the most poorly visited closing act ever at RW, unfortunately.

The Sunday anyway needs another big name closing after Nick Cave. Something with more substance than Oscar & The Wolf.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, thetime said:

I would say 2 headliners to come, can’t see nick cave headlining. AM headlining the Friday I would imagine.

Some people thought something went wrong with one of the headliners for RW, possibly moving up Nick Cave to sole headliner. Metallica was rumoured but might have dropped out at a late stage. Not sure though if this could be true; I am not as informed about RW as some others. 

Indeed Nick Cave headlines some European fests, but I would say these aren't as big as RW or 'indie' as APE. A handful of great names on the Sunday would work for me. 

Edit: Also because a big December announcement was expected by people with some good info, which never happened in the end.

Edited by StupidDream

7 minutes ago, Tijn said:

Well informed source at a Dutch forum (correctly predicted Radiohead at Best Kept Secret last year) is saying that Arctic Monkeys will be closing the festival instead of headlining the friday. 

I would cry if I had to chose between Arctic Monkeys and NIN. Also I guess The Killers would pair better with London Grammar and Snow Patrol

6 minutes ago, McCallion said:

I would cry if I had to chose between Arctic Monkeys and NIN. Also I guess The Killers would pair better with London Grammar and Snow Patrol

I'd cry too.....but they would be happy tears as I would be running towards the Barn :P 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, McCallion said:

If AM closing the festival on Sunday with a regular 90 minutes set, They'll clash with KluB C headliner. Assuming NIN will headline the Barn he'll start his set before Nick Cave ends his set on the main (something like RW16 Sunday )

3 minutes ago, Tuggster said:

Yeah that makes sense, I was not endeavoured by Imagine Dragons last year, but everyone has there own tase.

Yeah, I thought they were pretty naff too. I think when they played in 2015 they were 3rd from the top before Muse and Kasabian and I don't think they've gotten much bigger (correct me if I'm wrong)

2 hours ago, McCallion said:

I can't see NIN not playing the main stage, really. Could they play after Arctic Monkeys? I know they're not a "party" act like Werchter usually has as after-headliner acts but they do really heavily on their light show and threw a paddy when they found out they couldn't use their full stage show at R&L in 2013.

Apparently they're playing after Depeche Mode at Mad Cool, but Mad Cool has quite a lot of acts on after the headliners. I'm expecting them to be playing main after Arctic Monkeys at NOS Alive, too.

10 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I can't see NIN not playing the main stage, really. Could they play after Arctic Monkeys? I know they're not a "party" act like Werchter usually has as after-headliner acts but they do really heavily on their light show and threw a paddy when they found out they couldn't use their full stage show at R&L in 2013.

Apparently they're playing after Depeche Mode at Mad Cool, but Mad Cool has quite a lot of acts on after the headliners. I'm expecting them to be playing main after Arctic Monkeys at NOS Alive, too.

Yeah I think they'll almost definitely be after AM. It would be an odd decision to hide them away in the Barn 

1 hour ago, Tuggster said:

when does everyone think The Script are going to fit in? Friday pre headliner?

In the Lorde spot of last year, their show in Forest National isn't selling well and I don't think they'll play 4th down on the main + I think RW are going to provide a rock-ish act to sub for QOTSA..

Edited by arcuse

10 hours ago, lighthouse said:

If both Cave and Arctic Monkeys get 1.5h playtime on Sunday (which they probably will), I might just be able to do the following:

David Byrne (Barn) - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (main) - Nine Inch Nails (Barn) - Arctic Monkeys (main and festival closers)

I'll let that sink in for a while. 

But I can totally see RW put NiN op the main stage right before Cave too. 

The Barn usually overlaps with the Main. Plus, Werchter already clashed Pixies and Pearl Jam (in full overlap) so don't make any premature assumptions just to be let down in April.

There is a chance that more acts will be added, but the NIN and AM clash seems inevitable to me.

5 minutes ago, Orens said:

Hell no, wait a couple of days before comparing it.

Thursday and Sunday especially just screams Prima. Take Jack White out and I'm done and even him, I've seen him twice as solo now. It was good but he does just get fucked and I am waiting more for the stripes etc covers as his own solo stuff isn't that great tbh.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, lighthouse said:

If both Cave and Arctic Monkeys get 1.5h playtime on Sunday (which they probably will), I might just be able to do the following:

David Byrne (Barn) - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (main) - Nine Inch Nails (Barn) - Arctic Monkeys (main and festival closers)

I'll let that sink in for a while. 

But I can totally see RW put NiN op the main stage right before Cave too. 

You're forgetting Eels in the equation. Assuming the Barn will end like David Byrne - Eels - NIN.

2 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Thursday and Sunday especially just screams Prima. Take Jack White out and I'm done and even him, I've seen him twice as solo now. It was good but he does just get fucked and I am waiting more for the stripes etc covers as his own solo stuff isn't that great tbh.

Thursday doesn't scream Prima in any way. Neither QOTSA nor Gorillaz will play there anytime soon (the festival director was disappointed by the former's 2014 performance and the latter's latest album), and let's not talk about the other two acts. There will be a couple of shared acts in the poster, just like every year, but the festivals' target audience and layout is incomparably different IMO.

13 minutes ago, Orens said:

Thursday doesn't scream Prima in any way. Neither QOTSA nor Gorillaz will play there anytime soon (the festival director was disappointed by the former's 2014 performance and the latter's latest album), and let's not talk about the other two acts. There will be a couple of shared acts in the poster, just like every year, but the festivals' target audience and layout is incomparably different IMO.

That's a bit contradictory, you say it doesn't scream it while if QOTSA had performed well then and Gorillaz last output was decent they would probably be there again. I've seen much stronger looking Werchters....I don't expect much from Prima anyway, the Postal Service, Grizzly Bear and Blur was nice a few years back.

I would be completely shocked if Cave and Reznor clashed. Their fanbases are so intertwined it would just be weird. I can imagine Trent coming onstage and saying "What are you all doing here, didn't you hear Nick Cave is playing right now?" 

I've never been to a Euro festival, and RW and Mad Cool are making me so happy I can take time off in the summer!

• Upvote 1

Just now, SonicSleuth said:

I would be completely shocked if Cave and Reznor clashed. Their fanbases are so intertwined it would just be weird. I can imagine Trent coming onstage and saying "What are you all doing here, didn't you hear Nick Cave is playing right now?" 

I've never been to a Euro festival, and RW and Mad Cool are making me so happy I can take time off in the summer!

You choosed two of the best music festivals! Best lineups at least! 

22 minutes ago, SonicSleuth said:

In 2014 I had to deal with Franz Ferdinand/Foals and Pearl Jam/Pixies clashes. The outrage on social media over the latter was incredible.