Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

6 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

The largest problem that Werchter have this year is that many people are looking for that "ONE" European festival to go to. I know its not always the case and many people travel to lots of festivals but Mad Cool has sold out, at the same time Werchter have announced 5 bands. 

I wanted to go to Werchter,  I love the festival, i love the people and i love the set up but i can only afford to do one festival and all of my mates decided to go to Mad Cool, i had a choice, go with them or go on my own to Werchter. I had no option but to choose my friends. 

I know Werchter is a great festival but to only have announced 5 bands whilst other festivals have sold out might not exactly be commercial suicide, it's not the brightest move I've seen.

It will still be a great festival and i wish everyone the best who goes, stay cool and have fun :rofl:

Festivals are getting earlier and earlier with announcements. I remember no festival announcing before hatch never mind Christmas, now it’s the norm. 

Personally pretty much always book festivals pretty early on, getting time of work and all that jazz. Booked sziget last year with no announcement, same with Kendall Calling and victorious this year. 

Saying that I think announcements are more important at a festival like werchter, as it is very much a lineup based festival. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Festivals are getting earlier and earlier with announcements. I remember no festival announcing before hatch never mind Christmas, now it’s the norm. 

Personally pretty much always book festivals pretty early on, getting time of work and all that jazz. Booked sziget last year with no announcement, same with Kendall Calling and victorious this year. 

Saying that I think announcements are more important at a festival like werchter, as it is very much a lineup based festival. 

Agreed, I would have no hesitation booking Glastonbury, Bestival, Secret garden Party (if it was still going) and many other festivals without seeing the line up. It is true that most (especially first time buyers) would look to Werchter because of the line up. 

Anyone who has been can say how well organised it is, how lovely the people are but without a line up there are other festivals i'd choose. 

a guy that i wad with last year was pretty impressed with JB's show (he walked with no expectations though), the rest of the camp hated him. i like his music and liked his show a lot too, but i think we all agree he is not a big enough name to be a solid sub, not even on a smaller festival than werchter.

8 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

a guy that i wad with last year was pretty impressed with JB's show (he walked with no expectations though), the rest of the camp hated him. i like his music and liked his show a lot too, but i think we all agree he is not a big enough name to be a solid sub, not even on a smaller festival than werchter.

One of the few problems i've had with Werchter (and other festivals as well tbf) is they book artists that are technically brilliant and then put them on a stage that is totally unsuited to them. I remember thinking the same about Slowdive, great set that would have been even better in the barn.

I think it's not a werchter problem, but just a problem with supply and demand for festival acts at the moment. I never thought I'd ever see Alt-J opening for the Foo Fighters, but I guess thats just how the cards fell

49 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

Me and Jess were two people who hated James Blake haha 

3 minutes ago, Gossard said:

So....Jack White announced in the morning? :D  

Was just thinking the same! Especially as he's 99% being announced for Mad Cool tomorrow as well. He's playing the same day as Pearl Jam at NOS so would be interesting to see what slot he got at RW, before PJ again would be a great night!

9 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

don't get why him being at mad cool or nos alive makes him more likely to be at werchter as well...

His tour conveniently has a one month gap from July 4th (which is a date in France so he's in Europe), so I'd think that months to be filled with festivals before his tour starts again in August. By no means does that confirm him, but it would also be another name RW have not been able to announce until now because he only announced his new album/tour this week.

I thought Werchter only announced Wednesday and Fridays last year, so maybe we won't hear anything tomorrow anyway if they keep up that routine.

Edited by alexlloyd

yea, but i think it was very likely that he will not be in europe only for a couple of weeks. roskilde, opener, pohoda and other festivals in that week also still need headliners. 

he is a good shout and fits all the conditions, but him being in europe the week after werchter was pretty much expected.