Rock Werchter 2018

Red Day

14 minutes ago, lightsnowpatrol said:

So glad i picked NOS ALIVE over werchter this year

And why is that? Because announcements are coming late this year?

I'm sure next summer when we're all at RW who will have a lot better line up then NOS Alivem, we'll all be pretty devastated how late the announcements came....!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gossard said:

I'm sure next summer when we're all at RW who will have a lot better line up then NOS Alivem, we'll all be pretty devastated how late the announcements came....!

I'm actually glad as well.  Not overly keen on a few things  announced by RW so far, although I know there's a lot more.  I've been to last 3 RW's and fancy a change.  Lisbon should be almost guaranteed warm weather.  Never visited Lisbon before and timings mean I can probably combine festival and a good look round the city, and mostly because I was absolutely knackered come day 4 at RW.

Loved my 3 visits to RW but need a change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Loved my 3 visits to RW but need a change. 

I can highly recommend sziget in the future if you’re looking for something different, lineups not up there but everything else is shit hot. 

Best festival I’ve been to, beer and food cheap and guaranteed hot weather. Budapest is a beautiful beautiful city as well. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Nothing bad Gossard , I was just going to wait til today to decide between the two, luckily booked nos before it sold out 

RW's first announcement wasn't one of a headliner (Nick Cave). If several acts are booked and cleared to announce, there's no reason to wait for the Friday/Sunday headliners (The Killers/Arctic Monkeys/whatever). Just fill the damn poster.

By December 9 2016, those acts already were on the RW bill:

• Thursday - Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Imagine Dragons
  • Friday - Radiohead
  • Saturday - System Of A Down, Linkin Park. Blink 182
  • Sunday - Foo FIghters, Alt-J

13 minutes ago, Orens said:

RW's first announcement wasn't one of a headliner (Nick Cave). If several acts are booked and cleared to announce, there's no reason to wait for the Friday/Sunday headliners (The Killers/Arctic Monkeys/whatever). Just fill the damn poster.

By December 9 2016, those acts already were on the RW bill:

• Thursday - Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Imagine Dragons
  • Friday - Radiohead
  • Saturday - System Of A Down, Linkin Park. Blink 182
  • Sunday - Foo FIghters, Alt-J

They uploaded a poster with those nine names as well, because it was that poster that made me and my friends decide to go!

Looking back they were consistent once they started last year, and made announcements every Friday (and the odd Wednesday) for a few weeks, until those nine were out. It then went quiet for over a month until W/C 16th January and the weekly announcements continued until the line up was complete. I'm hoping the fact they've missed a week now doesn't mean we'll be waiting until the New Year for more names! I'm 95% sure I'm going, but my friends won't commit to going without a couple more names and I don't want to risk being the only one to get a ticket.

Edited by alexlloyd

1 hour ago, AndrewSmith said:

Maybe similarly to the Pearl Jam announcement a lot of festivals have booked Arcitc Monkeys too and will all announce same day in January?

I'm guessing that Rock Werchter, Mad Cool, NOS, Reading and TRNSMT will all announce AM w/c 8th January

Doubt they'll play R&L but agreed on the rest. Looks like they're all waiting for someone.

39 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Doubt they'll play R&L but agreed on the rest. Looks like they're all waiting for someone.

My thinking behind R&L is that they're a little bit late already on announcing their first headliner compared to a few previous years:

2014 - 04/12
2015 - 25/11
2016 - 04/12
2017 - 01/12

and no teasers from their social media to say anything is coming soon.

12 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

My thinking behind R&L is that they're a little bit late already on announcing their first headliner compared to a few previous years:

2014 - 04/12
2015 - 25/11
2016 - 04/12
2017 - 01/12

and no teasers from their social media to say anything is coming soon.

Neil said he'd heard they'd had a delay in their announcement. Even if they had Arctic Monkeys they still have at least two other headliners they can announce first instead (almost certainly including Foo Fighters who they have no reason to hold back). They'd have known from the off that Arctic Monkeys can't be announced before January so they'd have planned to have them in either the second or third announcement (as they did in 2014 when they announced Blink first).

15 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Why do you think that? Of course Nick is a headliner. He's a headliner on every 2018 festival he's playing. But they'll add a similar sized headliner on the same day, for sure. 

Last 3 times Nick Cave played RW:

2009:  2ManyDJs -- Kings of Leon -- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2011:  The Black Eyed Peas -- A-Trak -- Iron Maiden - Grinderman
2013:  Rammstein -- Volbeat -- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

....If he was 3rd down twice and fourth down once the last 3 times he played, why should he headline now?

Edited by Gossard
  • Upvote 1

On the Dutch version of their website, in the Pearl Jam news announcement, they write that four headliners have now been announced. 

Also, a lot has happened since 2013. Cave is hotter than ever, definitely so in Holland and Belgium, selling out the largest venues out there. 

Edited by visdave34

7 minutes ago, Gossard said:

Last 3 times Nick Cave played RW:

2009:  2ManyDJs -- Kings of Leon -- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2011:  The Black Eyed Peas -- A-Trak -- Iron Maiden - Grinderman
2013:  Rammstein -- Volbeat -- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

....If he was 3rd down twice and fourth down once in the last 3 times he played, why should he headline now?

Because the press release of the PJ announcement states 4 headliners have been announced.

But we all know Nick Cave is the smaller one in a coheadliner structure, so it shouldn't matter all that much what name you put on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gossard said:

In the English version it says "four massive names...." not four headliners. Does it say four headliners in the Dutch version?

Yep. 

D447DE74-F841-4E76-AD4D-EB303524CCF0.jpeg

Also, in 2009 they were sub to KoL, as 2manydjs were a closing dance act, not a headliner. And in 2013, they swapped Volbeat and Nick Cave, as not to squeeze him in between Volbeat and Rammstein, to prevent him from playing for a crowd of metal fans camping out for the next act. 

Edited by visdave34

17 hours ago, thetime said:

I can highly recommend sziget in the future if you’re looking for something different, lineups not up there but everything else is shit hot. 

Best festival I’ve been to, beer and food cheap and guaranteed hot weather. Budapest is a beautiful beautiful city as well. 

My son went there and loved it. Last thing he would have wanted was to bump into his old man. I’ll maybe give it a bash 

42 minutes ago, Red Day said:

My son went there and loved it. Last thing he would have wanted was to bump into his old man. I’ll maybe give it a bash 

My daughter will come with me to Rock Werchter next summer....as she did this summer and in 2016 :)

I think we are, along with thetime, are the old farts on this forum :P 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gossard said:

My daughter will come with me to Rock Werchter next summer....as she did this summer and in 2016 :)

I think we are, along with thetime, are the old farts on this forum :P 

I think there's no doubt about that.  Might describe ourselves as "Experienced" as opposed to old farts though ;)

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, gunther Mickey said:

RIP Johnny Hallyday 

I've never seen a so huge funeral ceremony here in France. He was the most important French person alive til this week. And a good man, humble, funny, and very kind with people he met. He struggled like a Lion with his health during whole career and played the gig with strength even if he was sick and weak. RIP

• Upvote 1