battleborn

Workers Rights at Glasto under Question

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

They're based within the idea that all employers are dripping with spare money.

No they're not based around that. They're based around the things i said in that post, none of which were that....  

Even if that's the case (and I do hope it's not) then I'd have expected them to come out with something, even if it's damage limitation about how they'll handle it in future.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Even if that's the case (and I do hope it's not) then I'd have expected them to come out with something, even if it's damage limitation about how they'll handle it in future.

yeah im surprised as well.

Maybe they want to get the companies side of the story first?

It's a bit awkward for them to reply to though - it's clearly all being used to smear the festival as much as possible in the typical right winger "they must be as bad as i think everyone is to excuse my own behaviour" way.

They're going to have to be very careful how they reply so it doesn't get twisted and used against them. The trouble is the litter pick is always going to be a casual labour situation, that's never going to change - so they're stuck in a horrible place of having to be the person who explains why there's a place for zero hours contracts and the difference between practical and abusive ones

11 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

It's a bit awkward for them to reply to though - it's clearly all being used to smear the festival as much as possible in the typical right winger "they must be as bad as i think everyone is to excuse my own behaviour" way.

Eh?

How does the fact of ZHCs being involved become "a smear"?

If all ZHCs are wrong as Labour say they are, then Glasto has been involved in wrong (even if only via the contractors they give contracts to), and it's no smear.

The problem around this issue - more than any other problem (without us having access to further facts) - is that ZHCs are appropriate for the work but Labour wants to ban all ZHCs whether appropriate or not.

Which puts Labour in the place that's 'wrong' and not Glasto.

(if people have been misled about how much work there'd be, that's a completely separate issue to the ZHCs).

Edited by eFestivals

What about the thousands of people who work without pay, for a ticket. Are they being exploited? Well no, because they do it to gain entry to the festival and are more than happy to do so, but I'm sure that could easily be spun as exploitation.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The problem around this issue - more than any other problem (without us having access to further facts) - is that ZHCs are appropriate for the work but Labour wants to ban all ZHCs whether appropriate or not.

Which puts Labour in the place that's 'wrong' and not Glasto.

Yes. So you agree that pointing the finger at Glasto is wrong? Good. That's what I said so I'm not sure why you're having issue with it.... It is a hot and bothered kind of day though

2 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

What about the thousands of people who work without pay, for a ticket. Are they being exploited? Well no, because they do it to gain entry to the festival and are more than happy to do so, but I'm sure that could easily be spun as exploitation.

In many (all?) cases those "working just for a ticket" people have 'wages' paid to the good cause/charity they're volunteering via - so definitely not exploitation, it's voluntary work for the benefit of charity.

Edited by eFestivals

Just now, frostypaw said:

Yes. So you agree that pointing the finger at Glasto is wrong? Good. That's what I said so I'm not sure why you're having issue with it.... It is a hot and bothered kind of day though

I'm having an issue with nothing at all. 

I certainly don't think there's a finger to be pointed at Glasto or the contractor for the use of ZHCs. ZHCs seem to be highly appropriate for the work.

However, in what's allowed this to be cooked up within the media I think there's still a wrong to be identified and called as wrong. And that's Labour's wrong policy.

So they had temporary worker contracts, so presumably they had the choice of agreeing to them or not? And the associated guarantee of at least 8 hours work? So people are complaining that they got more work than was guaranteed, but presumably agreed to the contract in the first place?

Another day, another politician spouts something baseless, another paper misinformed the public to sell papers. Nothing to see here. 

Some of the views on here astound me and are akin to the victorian mill owners of old. Capitalism fucks workers if it is unregulated. 

In this so called enlightened  age we should not be seeing people trek half way across Europe for only 8hrs of guaranteed work!

Are you happy to be part of this? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think there are still questions unanswered though. Did people apply based on what they had heard about previous years' work, or had they been told that they could expect 2 weeks with a minimum of 8 hours? And if the supervisors were talking about ZHCs are they GFL employees or contractors? The whole thing with meals and attitude does still seem a bit off.

I suspect that none of this is illegal or even particularly exploitative, but if you put yourself on a moral high ground about this sort of thing then you have to be able to back it all up.

6 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Some of the views on here astound me and are akin to the victorian mill owners of old. Capitalism fucks workers if it is unregulated. 

In this so called enlightened  age we should not be seeing people trek half way across Europe for only 8hrs of guaranteed work!

You are quite right there is absolutely no need for people to be traveling from other countries to do this type of work, there are thousands out of work in Bristol who could have been doing it. The fact that they have come here in the hope of getting the same amount of work they got last year is unfortunate, the 'litter harvest' failed so there were no 'crops' to pick, it's an act of god (weather) and maybe a sign that the punters are becoming more responsible, protesting because they didn't get the work they were expecting is futile, it simply was bad luck for them. This situation has nothing in common with Zero Hour Contracts where your 'victorian' comment is spot on - the cherished EU workers rights people were afraid of losing via brexit are worked around or ignored by many employers, this is where Labour should be concentrating their attentions.

12 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Awww - but how can we turn that into a Labour bashing device? Anyone? Anyone?

"there are shades of grey between "he's the devil" and "he does no wrong"

PMSL - is your name waterfalls, and all brain gets suspended if the discussion is about the perfect-and-beyond-all-criticism?

:rolleyes:

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

who had those workers trek to somerset?

And does the problem of no jobs where they came from originate in somerset or where they came from?

I'm happy to be part of it because (as far as we know) it was the free choice of those workers to go to specifically Glastonbury Festival to seek work, and Glastonbury Festival is not responsible for providing jobs in all places in the world.

Capitalism might fuck workers if it's unregulated (tho it depends on the capitalist, not every employer is a c**t), but a workers movement can also fuck workers by implementing poorly considered policy.

I remember someone round here telling me "there are shades of grey between "he's the devil" and "he does no wrong"", and how "you gotta find some of those shades of grey or it's only going to be upsetting", and perhaps the grey should be the continuation of ZHCs in appropriate places, or perhaps the banning of them is just a fucking stupid (literally!) counter-productive idea.

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

No one made these people come across Europe - everyone was told they were only guaranteed eight hours of work. I wouldn't travel to Romania on that premise. If people had been promised two weeks' work and only got a few days, that's a different story, but they weren't. Would have thought they way the festival has behaved is no different to how every other similar event works - it's casual work with no guarantee of length of service. I know it was like that when I worked at Knebworth after the Oasis gigs years ago.