Liver damage

The other Bellboy

On 7/1/2017 at 7:51 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'm sure everything will be fine, It's funny you mention this though as literally minutes before I said to my wife I was going to pop to the shop and get a few beers for the evening, she told me not to as we should rest our livers, which she's never said before, then I saw this post so I'm taking it as a sign. We've more less been a 2 week bender with Stone Roses, Glastonbury in the middle and BST yesterday. Going to leave the beers in the shop!

Thanks, i'm sure it will be too.

Was due to be at BST on Saturday as well and a party on Sunday night so without this random blood check i would have had quite a bit more to drink before i had given myself proper time to recover.

On 7/1/2017 at 10:59 PM, Aragorn said:

My liver count has been raised before. Nothing to worry about just calm down for a bit.

My mate at work has a count of 1980 or something on his ALT AST readings hes an alco. To put it in perspective mine was less than 100 but was still advised to take it easy

I wish i had managed to see the actual value on the results, all i could make our was the orange numbers whereas th eother results were in black. Your values do put things in perspective though!

On 7/1/2017 at 11:01 PM, Swine_Glasto2014 said:

Not Liver related but I've been feeling massively ropey since I got home on Tuesday. Something is not right me atall and can't seem to shake it off

I didn't really notice any particular symptoms, i was just knackered all week as we got home at 1845 then i started nights at 2100hrs, i get very little sleep during the day when on nights so getting over the previous week was always going to be difficult. Its easy to get a blood check / a general check up and it sounds like it could be a good idea for you. 

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Thanks for this thread. Been really fatigued after this festival, so I've decided to abstain from booze for a few days at least.

i think it's something that we should all try and do after such a bender, we ate loads, drank loads of water and even had a dry day on Thursday but after the really hot start to the week it must have taken its toll on all parts of our bodies, feeling OK now. Hope you are too 

1 hour ago, The other Bellboy said:

i think it's something that we should all try and do after such a bender, we ate loads, drank loads of water and even had a dry day on Thursday but after the really hot start to the week it must have taken its toll on all parts of our bodies, feeling OK now. Hope you are too 

Still tired, but getting there. Your reply has just prompted me to down another pint of water, so thanks again :)

3 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I didn't really notice any particular symptoms, i was just knackered all week as we got home at 1845 then i started nights at 2100hrs, i get very little sleep during the day when on nights so getting over the previous week was always going to be difficult. Its easy to get a blood check / a general check up and it sounds like it could be a good idea for you. 

Cheers bud, think I will

On 7/2/2017 at 9:48 PM, verrymerry said:

"Overheard funnies" 

This was a very real issue in our camp in 2014.

We had a large tent with multiple occupants in various compartments and we brought whisky in unmarked plastic bottles.

Some prick(s) decided it would be a great idea to piss in the empty bottles that formerly held the whisky.

Obviously, I decided to have some of my 'whisky' on the Sunday. Luckily I smelled it first but I was sick in our tent from the stench of disgusting, warm and stale piss.

As a result of that year, it is now forbidden to piss in the tent under any circumstance.

Edited by alpmilton

4 minutes ago, alpmilton said:

This was a very real issue in our camp in 2014.

We had a large tent with multiple occupants in various compartments and we brought whisky in unmarked plastic bottles.

Some prick(s) decided it would be a great idea to piss in the empty bottles that formerly held the whisky.

Obviously, I decided to have some of my 'whisky' on the Sunday. Luckily I smelled it first but I was sick in our tent from the stench of disgusting, warm and stale piss.

As a result of that year, it is now forbidden to piss in the tent under any circumstance.

Your tent sounds fun.

Wow! Hope the liver is ok

Heard a story, possibly a myth, of an old man who was a serious drinker for years and years, consuming shocking amounts of alcohol daily to a point where he went to the doctor for a check up and after numerous tests and proding etc the results were that the man's liver was in absolutely perfect condition as if he'd never had a drop in his life! Also, the doctor advised him to not stop drinking as lack of alcohol might cause his liver to fail. That was what was told to me and I don't know if that story is 100% true but crazy nonetheless!

1 hour ago, pentura said:

Wow! Hope the liver is ok

Heard a story, possibly a myth, of an old man who was a serious drinker for years and years, consuming shocking amounts of alcohol daily to a point where he went to the doctor for a check up and after numerous tests and proding etc the results were that the man's liver was in absolutely perfect condition as if he'd never had a drop in his life! Also, the doctor advised him to not stop drinking as lack of alcohol might cause his liver to fail. That was what was told to me and I don't know if that story is 100% true but crazy nonetheless!

I've heard that too, I just had a liver and kidney function test and was dreading it especially living with someone who can't drink alcohol anymore due to a health condition (not alcohol related ) I always notice my own habits more .  I usually abstain 3 times a week but very rarely drink any more than a bottle of wine and it's habitual with me as I enjoy it when I'm cooking which I love... I have a glass of red at the min as I'm busy in the kitchen .

My tests come back fine and I think it's because I don't go on  benders. Sundays it takes about 4 hours to drink a bottle so I graze at it . 

I leave off Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays . I still consume far more than the recommended weekly amount but I've got this far so can't see me giving it up now 

I binge thursdsy to Sunday every week. Prolly get through 25 pints minimum. Don't do shorts and although my liver has been raised a few times it's always gone back to normal if I calm down a bit. Am 42. Everyone's different though. My dad canes it royally and he's 64 nothing wrong with him at all and he'll drink 10 plus pints in an afternoon  evening sesh regularly. Has done for 40 years. Weird. Some of it must be genetic as to how well you fare?

1 hour ago, Aragorn said:

I binge thursdsy to Sunday every week. Prolly get through 25 pints minimum. Don't do shorts and although my liver has been raised a few times it's always gone back to normal if I calm down a bit. Am 42. Everyone's different though. My dad canes it royally and he's 64 nothing wrong with him at all and he'll drink 10 plus pints in an afternoon  evening sesh regularly. Has done for 40 years. Weird. Some of it must be genetic as to how well you fare?

I'd also say that it possibly depends what you drink? I'd assume that drinking pints isn't anywhere near as bad for your liver as somebody who puts a way a bottle of vodka every day. There isn't anything scientific behind that but the hard stuff must be much worse for your liver. Of course conversely I'd imagine drinking pints is worse for you in other ways. 

59 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I'd also say that it possibly depends what you drink? I'd assume that drinking pints isn't anywhere near as bad for your liver as somebody who puts a way a bottle of vodka every day. There isn't anything scientific behind that but the hard stuff must be much worse for your liver. Of course conversely I'd imagine drinking pints is worse for you in other ways. 

Mine was where I was drinking depended on what I was drinking, couldn't drink beer at home unless it was really hot, but would never drink wine when I was out unless having dinner somewhere.  Now as I haven't been to the pub for about 3 years can only drink wine.  Tried to do a few pints couple of weeks ago and it gave me the hangover from hell.  I don't drink spirits never have and never will ..I think it's a lot to do with diluting them with pop , mind you a nice gin and tonic on an occasion is nice but haven't done that for many a year 

A Nurse once explained that the best thing when over 40 is to abstain for 3 consecutive days each week to allow the liver to recover. 

I've been dry for 21 months now and public about it for about 15. 

Its amazing how many people I meet at the festival each year that are "almost" at giving up stage but looking for a starting point.  Also, the amount of people in recovery like me that I met at the festival is outstanding.  We share the same feeling and there is often a lingering look between us when we discover we're both doing it. Some are open, some are private  

One private guy asked in my bar where he could buy zero alcohol beers on site. I took great delight in informing him that I knew exactly what he was going through and that he'd better get used to drinking water, lemonade or mock-tails.  I hate all sugary mixers which is such a bummer when you're out. He couldn't believe his luck that he'd found the only non drinking barman in town!

Obviously I'm not anti drinking, far from it, it's great getting drunk.... just putting my story out there once again to hopefully inspire the next person that is having an negative relationship with alcohol that it really is ok to admit your addiction and give up. 

Happy as always to connect in confidence  via PM. 

xx

14 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

A Nurse once explained that the best thing when over 40 is to abstain for 3 consecutive days each week to allow the liver to recover. 

I've been dry for 21 months now and public about it for about 15. 

Its amazing how many people I meet at the festival each year that are "almost" at giving up stage but looking for a starting point.  Also, the amount of people in recovery like me that I met at the festival is outstanding.  We share the same feeling and there is often a lingering look between us when we discover we're both doing it. Some are open, some are private  

One private guy asked in my bar where he could buy zero alcohol beers on site. I took great delight in informing him that I knew exactly what he was going through and that he'd better get used to drinking water, lemonade or mock-tails.  I hate all sugary mixers which is such a bummer when you're out. He couldn't believe his luck that he'd found the only non drinking barman in town!

Obviously I'm not anti drinking, far from it, it's great getting drunk.... just putting my story out there once again to hopefully inspire the next person that is having an negative relationship with alcohol that it really is ok to admit your addiction and give up. 

Happy as always to connect in confidence  via PM. 

xx

great post, my OH had to stop drinking about 10 years ago , he had a massive heart attack at 24 and his heart function deteriorated so bad that he knew that alcohol was not helping.  He has 33 percent heart function now at nearly 47 (yes he's a lot younger than me ) he has an internal defibrillator fitted , on the second one now which is checked via wifi. He also had a bad relationship to drink .. vodka based and he wasn't pretty on it. best thing he ever did, far happier. Hasn't helped his heart so much but helped him deal with the condition in a more positive mind . Alcohol as a depressant makes life unbearable sometimes