battleborn

Arctic Monkeys 2019

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Jamster in 2005.

Yes exactly, 2005 ought to be regarded as the year of the Crazy Frog, not the year of wagering that people look good on the dancefloor.

On 01/07/2017 at 0:42 PM, D-Low said:

Same. Although I couldn't bring myself to watch any of Glasto on the telly that year having missed out on tickets, was far too overwhelming. Knew I HAD to be there in 2014 (first time) and thankfully was.

Not sure why Humbug is getting all the bad press on here though. Crying Lightening, Pretty Visitors, My Propeller. All excellent songs live.

It's cos they dared to reinvent themselves mate unlike 90% of other British bands of the last few decades. It still went to number 1 and contains some of the greatest lyrics ever written in history. It's not their best, consistently, but it's still superb for the most part.  Dance Little Liar is a masterpiece of wordplay. As is Secret Door. I don't actually understand how someone can be that creative when explaining a situation through lyrics, such as something simple like lying to a girl or missing someone. 

Edited by Stokesy10

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Humbug is their best album by some distance.

A bold statement, some distance. They're very hard albums to pick between due to how diverse they are. I fucking adore Humbug and it contains some of my top 5 tracks of their history, but I think FWN edges it for me. I've had this debate for years and I always wonder which one my favourite is, then I stick FWN on in the car loud as possible and remember why it's that. Sickeningly good.

The fact Humbug ends with Jewellers Hands (shocking choice, should have been Cornerstone) and has Fire and the Thud in there (listenable, decent), drops it below FWN for me.

The Jewellers Hand is their only track I don't like. I don't think I've ever full listened to it.

Thats Where You're Wrong would be a brilliant closer too but they've only played it a handful of times.

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

A bold statement, some distance. They're very hard albums to pick between due to how diverse they are. I fucking adore Humbug and it contains some of my top 5 tracks of their history, but I think FWN edges it for me. I've had this debate for years and I always wonder which one my favourite is, then I stick FWN on in the car loud as possible and remember why it's that. Sickeningly good.

The fact Humbug ends with Jewellers Hands (shocking choice, should have been Cornerstone) and has Fire and the Thud in there (listenable, decent), drops it below FWN for me.

It's Beneath the Boardwalk. 

Inb4 some smart ass say it's not an album....

Edited by battleborn

20 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've stuck the Humbug vinyl on to check this.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I've stuck the Humbug vinyl on to check this.

Dance Little Liar lyrics. All of them. If you've ever been caught out lying to a girl and you're trying to cover it up...

It's a fucking joke.

Potion Approaching is the only non-brilliant track on Humbug. Far and away their best release. Hope they surprise us by coming back a little bit weirder again, they've gone about as pop as they can reasonably go on that last one and it's only diminishing returns further in that direction. Though of course the worst case scenario would be them coming back with a proper rock n roll for the lads LP.

8 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Dance Little Liar lyrics. All of them. If you've ever been caught out lying to a girl and you're trying to cover it up...

It's a fucking joke.

Any album containing the lyric "what came first, the chicken or the dickhead?" deserves to be top of its field.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mash011 said:

Potion Approaching is the only non-brilliant track on Humbug. Far and away their best release. Hope they surprise us by coming back a little bit weirder again, they've gone about as pop as they can reasonably go on that last one and it's only diminishing returns further in that direction. Though of course the worst case scenario would be them coming back with a proper rock n roll for the lads LP.

If it's being recorded right now then it's unlikely that Mr Homme will have had any input unfortunately.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

If it's being recorded right now then it's unlikely that Mr Homme will have had any input unfortunately.

Oh, I'd much prefer to get a whole new direction than Humbug pt. 2, been there done that and all.  I really loved the psych-pop influences on the title track off that last TLSP record, and I know they've been hanging out with Kevin P and the lads (Tame Impala supported them a bit on the AM tour, Alex did a cover of 'Feels Like We Only Go Backwards' and I believe their guitarist came out to play with TLSP at Glasto tho I may have imagined that), so something headed a little in that direction would do me well. Dunno how optimistic I am about it though.

20 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

In fairness it's a song partly about jizzing on someone, fairly low bar there.

another one for the ''Humbug is their best'' camp, used to like them a lot when i was 12-16 but never listen to them anymore, Humbug is only one I'd see myself returning to now. Saw them at Alexandra Palace when a while back and thought they were very boring.

Also, Alex Turner is a right knobhead. The man is a prime example of what happens when you indulge in too much coke.

Edited by rhg_99

10 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I tried ranking the albums last night but then I realised it depends on what mood I'm in and what time of year it is.

Favourite Worst Nightmare

AM

Whatever People Say I Am That's What I Am Not

Suck It and See

Humbug

8 minutes ago, battleborn said:

AM

Whatever People Say I Am That's What I Am Not

Suck It and See

Humbug

At this moment in time...

Suck It and See

AM

Humbug

WPSIATWIN

45 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Any album containing the lyric "what came first, the chicken or the dickhead?" deserves to be top of its field.

Hahah!!

6 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

At this moment in time...

Suck It and See

AM

Humbug

WPSIATWIN

Right this second:

FWN 

WPSIATWIN

HUMBUG

AM

SIAS

57 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Get out. The break down in 'Potion Approaching' bangs.

Honestly can't pick a favourite as they all suit different moods for me and are all brilliant. The first album holds a special place for me as it was the soundtrack to my early 20's along with The Libertines. I had a bootleg cd of most of the album tracks that I would play religiously in my now wife's 1st car, a battered Ford Fiesta. 

Humbug is the album that gave them the confidence to do whatever the fuck they want, it's a bridge in some ways, weird as fuck in places but I love it. 

Love how the sound has evolved over the albums, the backing vocals and harmonies on AM being the latest evolution, very excited to see where they go on the next album. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

"If I could be someone else for a week, I'd spend it chasing after you"

One of my favourite Turner lyrics.

It was also my alarm tone for fucking ages.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

The breakdown saves it. Brilliant groove.