battleborn

Arctic Monkeys 2019

14 hours ago, Dave_c said:

Hoping for this too, one of the bands I have yet to see. Wish I had of been there in 2013 as watching their set is what made me try for tickets in 2014 and then subsequently fall in love with Glastonbury.

Same. Although I couldn't bring myself to watch any of Glasto on the telly that year having missed out on tickets, was far too overwhelming. Knew I HAD to be there in 2014 (first time) and thankfully was.

Not sure why Humbug is getting all the bad press on here though. Crying Lightening, Pretty Visitors, My Propeller. All excellent songs live.

I really enjoyed 2013 for the unexpectedness of hearing some of the older stuff they'd generally stopped playing (plus is was the first time I'd seen them since a 2007 academy tour before the second album). Unfortunately I didn't like AM one bit, so for me that's the ultimate arctic monkeys set that I'm likely to get post 2007ish. I was still bored for half the set. It's fair to say I'm not a big fan really  

I also didn't like the atmosphere, had an edge even by the sound desk where people were packed in but not really singing or moving, just looking really moody and like they were after a fight. I moved further back by one of the speaker stacks just in time for fluorescent adolescent and that last half an hour is still one of my favourite half hours of music, especially when they did a certain romance, everyone was happily dancing and singing around where I was. 

So mixed feelings about them headlining again but I wouldn't be surprised and it'd probably go down well with the masses after the success of AM. 

I'm pretty certain it wont be both them and the killers though, repeating two headliners from a the same previous year would be a bit much. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

18 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I really enjoyed 2013 for the unexpectedness of hearing some of the older stuff they'd generally stopped playing (plus is was the first time I'd seen them since a 2007 academy tour before the second album). Unfortunately I didn't like AM one bit, so for me that's the ultimate arctic monkeys set that I'm likely to get post 2007ish. I was still bored for half the set. It's fair to say I'm not a big fan really  

I also didn't like the atmosphere, had an edge even by the sound desk where people were packed in but not really singing or moving, just looking really moody and like they were after a fight. I moved further back by one of the speaker stacks just in time for fluorescent adolescent and that last half an hour is still one of my favourite half hours of music, especially when they did a certain romance, everyone was happily dancing and singing around where I was. 

So mixed feelings about them headlining again but I wouldn't be surprised and it'd probably go down well with the masses after the success of AM. 

I'm pretty certain it wont be both them and the killers though, repeating two headliners from a the same previous year would be a bit much. 

It would have been 12 years since they last headlined together though. And they'd both have released a number of new albums since they last were on. It's only really by nature of luck with bands such as Oasis splitting up that headline slots haven't repeated themselves in the last ten years 

Just rewatched that 2013 set, anyone else think he should have finished that Coldplay cover, the crowd were well on board for it. 

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

Same. Although I couldn't bring myself to watch any of Glasto on the telly that year having missed out on tickets, was far too overwhelming. Knew I HAD to be there in 2014 (first time) and thankfully was.

Not sure why Humbug is getting all the bad press on here though. Crying Lightening, Pretty Visitors, My Propeller. All excellent songs live.

The transition they started doing from Knee Socks into My Propeller during the AM tour was a beauty.

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

I love all their albums to be honest, I'm a bit of a fanboy

I take on board all your Humbug comments...

... but they should play it in full for its 10th anniversary so I can enjoy it this time when I'm not pilled up post prodigy. If not hope they leave it till 2022, they're honestly one of my favourite bands but I'm sick of bands coming back after 6 or 7 years, I've spent years flagging download off for repeated headliners I don't want glasto to give my download friends ammo.

5 hours ago, battleborn said:

It would have been 12 years since they last headlined together though. And they'd both have released a number of new albums since they last were on. It's only really by nature of luck with bands such as Oasis splitting up that headline slots haven't repeated themselves in the last ten years 

I don't mean repeat in general, but two who both headlined in the exact same year, so making 2007 and 2019 pretty much the same, doesn't sound great to me, especially for two very divisive bands like that

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I don't mean repeat in general, but two who both headlined in the exact same year, so making 2007 and 2019 pretty much the same, doesn't sound great to me, especially for two very divisive bands like that

Killers and Arctic Monkeys are only divisive on these forums I think. They'd attract a content if not rapturous crowd on the Pyramid for their sets. 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Are they that divisive, The Killer's maybe, but I don't think Arctic Monkeys are.

A more stripped back acoustic sound could really work for the new album, something in the region of Alex's solo cover (it's marked as Arctic Monkeys in the vid but it's just Alex) Feels Like We Only Go Backwards by Tame Impala.  

A lot of people think Turner is an arse to the extent they refuse to ever voluntarily encounter his musical endeavours, but there was never a band universally loved. Even The Fab Four had their detractors.

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

A lot of people think Turner is an arse to the extent they refuse to ever voluntarily encounter his musical endeavours, but there was never a band universally loved. Even The Fab Four had their detractors.

If you refused to see acts due to band members being arses you'd never see anyone except the Foo Fighters over and over again.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If you refused to see acts due to band members being arses you'd never see anyone except the Foo Fighters over and over again.

quote-reiterating-the-belief-that-hiv-is

On 30/06/2017 at 10:59 PM, Zac Quinn said:

Think they could probably get away with more or less ignoring Humbug and SIAS now. Four or five from each of their three most popular albums would be enough for them to be seen as having 'nailed it', regardless of how the upcoming record goes down 

Yeah, I agree.

Though they should prob keep Crying Lightning, always seems to go down well live

21 hours ago, priest17 said:

I take on board all your Humbug comments...

... but they should play it in full for its 10th anniversary so I can enjoy it this time when I'm not pilled up post prodigy. If not hope they leave it till 2022, they're honestly one of my favourite bands but I'm sick of bands coming back after 6 or 7 years, I've spent years flagging download off for repeated headliners I don't want glasto to give my download friends ammo.

once in 6 years is a bit different to Download which has a history of twice in 3,4 and 5 on some occasions. Even Coldplay wouldn't do it in 2015 because it was seen as too early and Arctics waited 6 years. I don't know if there is anyone else you can refer to there but they are the only Pyramid act to be a headliner again I think can think of since I've been going in 2008 that's been repeated.

I think some users on this board underestimate the grip arctic monkeys has on the youth

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

once in 6 years is a bit different to Download which has a history of twice in 3,4 and 5 on some occasions. Even Coldplay wouldn't do it in 2015 because it was seen as too early and Arctics waited 6 years. I don't know if there is anyone else you can refer to there but they are the only Pyramid act to be a headliner again I think can think of since I've been going in 2008 that's been repeated.

I get that and its fair enough, I keep the opinion that it'd be better with more time between headline sets though. For instance, I think Skunk Anansie have waited long enough and are finally fit to return.

On 01/07/2017 at 11:37 AM, arcade fireman said:

I do always get the niggling feeling they'll never pull off a truly great Glastonbury set though, certainly not one that justifies how much good material they have. Much of their best stuff isn't designed for big fields and open spaces. 

They already have, 2013 ! 

39 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Nah, 2013 was pretty decent but certainly not truly great.

It was in my opinion, smashed through the back catalogue, didn't make the mistake of playing stuff off AM that people didn't know and one of the greatest encores I've seen at Glastonbury, the strings were a touch of genius. I watched most of the set in the field, went for a cold one during certain romance and watched the encore near the Mandela bar, something about seeing the encore so close made it an all time great set for me personally 

4 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

I think some users on this board overstate the grip arctic monkeys has on the youth. 

They're popular but not like S Club 7 in 2001 or Take That in 1994.

Jamster in 2005.