battleborn

Arctic Monkeys 2019

I remember that in 2013, my first Glastonbury, I arrived late to Arctic Monkeys because of watching Foals at the Other Stage. I had to watch from far away, and couldn't see anything because they split the big screens up in four. The memories of that came flooding back after all the complaints of the big screens during Radiohead. 

So yea, would love to watch them h eadline the Pyramid again, as long as they don't to the same big screen-mistake again.

1 minute ago, rpfranks said:

I saw them do this at Leeds 09, went down like a sack of shit. 

To be fair they didn't have SIAS or AM to pick from back then, but definitely could have done with a few more WPSIATWIAN (this must be one the longest album titles, or at least album title acronyms, in history for an album title, no?) tracks in it looking at the set list.

Interested to see where they take their sound with AM6. I love the AM sound but something like that might be a bit boring and they don't really stick to one sound over 2 albums.

I'd love some kind of mix from Humbug, AM and Everything You've Come To Expect.

The first few tracks in particular on Everything You've Come To Expect sound like they could have been AM rejects that have had a bit of work, the second half of the album not so much. 

But as you've said they don't tend to keep a similar sound; and they'll most likely want to freshen things up a bit. 

I really hope they don't take another hiatus after this album though, as much as I like last show puppets, Arctic Monkeys albums ate normally better. 

Surely on their next tour they've got to take a chance and do a 2+ hour slot? I know they love to play for 90 minutes but they've got so much material now.

Yeah my guess, single early 2018, album Summer 2018. Headline Glastonbury 2019.

wont be surprised if they do a big run of shows next year though.

7 hours ago, battleborn said:

WPSIATWIAN (this must be one the longest album titles, or at least album title acronyms, in history for an album title, no?) 

I Like It When You Sleep For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It 

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

There Is a Hell, Believe Me I've Seen It. There Is a Heaven, Let's Keep It a Secret

TIAHBMISITIAHLKIAS

They need to do something to revitalise the live shows. I saw them twice on the AM tour and they were a bit dull both times. The songs are good but they played the same setlist both times and it really seemed like they were just going through the motions, they looked bored on stage. I think they need to do a Radiohead on it and have around 50 or 60 songs rehearsed and ready to go so they can vary the setlists hugely from gig to gig. It would make it more interesting for the band and for everyone else.

2 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

I am the only one who finds that one ever so slightly creepy?

3 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I wish they played more from Suck It and See on the last tour. That album and the title track are really underrated. 

That's Where You're Wrong is one of the best songs they've written for me.

5 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeh it's superb, a lot of my fellow AM fan mates adore that track. I love Black Treacle off that album, and I saw their first SIAS tour the day I graduated - was absolutely blown away that they played that early on in the set. It was arguably the greatest gig I've ever been to. They were technically fucking outrageous and the atmosphere was beyond belief.

They barely play That's Where You're Wrong, for some reason.

Another off that album, Love is a Lazer quest - not particularly special live, but there's a superb acoustic live version on YouTube  (KMX or something similar? US Radio show?) and it is superb. Another example of how he's basically one of the most talented lyricists in music history.

Edited by Stokesy10

Humbug

Favourite Worst Nightmare

Suck It & See

Whatever People...

AM

Pablo Honey

Edited by Hugh Jass

Arctic Monkeys can turn up and play however many songs they want from whatever record they want for me and I'll be thoroughly entertained. No guitar band of their/my era comes anywhere near to them, completely in a league of their own.

I do always get the niggling feeling they'll never pull off a truly great Glastonbury set though, certainly not one that justifies how much good material they have. Much of their best stuff isn't designed for big fields and open spaces. 

Edited by arcade fireman

Aye obviously gonna be album next year with either an R&L headline slot or stadium shows, followed by Saturday night at Glasto 18. Need to play more Humbug and SIAS.

Humbug > SIAS > AM > WPSIATWIN > FWN

Dance Little Liar is their best song.

What else?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, battleborn said:

Full set list is here. Only played 3 songs from Suck It and See, Humbug and AM. So between the 9 other songs and AM and whatever comes from the new album(s) they'd have plenty of material to switch in and could easily play a set without playing a song they played last time (although that'd be controversial as they'd have to leave quite a few fan favourites out).

AM Do I Wanna Know, R U Mind, Mad Sounds,  (3)

Suck It And See Don't Sit Down Cos I Moved Your Chair, Brick By Brick, She Thunderstorms,(3)

Humbug Crying Lightening, Pretty Visitors, Cornerstone, (3)

FWN Teddy Picker, Brianstorm, Old Yellow Bricks, Flourescent Adolescent, Do Me a Favour, 505 (6)

WPSIAMTWIAN Dancing Shoes, Fake Tales of San Franscisco. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, A Certain Romance, Mardy Bum, When the Sun Goes Down,  (6)

At T in the Park next year, after AM had been replaced they played this for a set the same length:

AM Do I Wanna Know, Snap Out of It, Arabella, Knee Socks, Fireside, No 1 Party Anthem, One for Road, I Wanna Be Yours, R U Mine? hy Do You Only Call Me When I'm High?  (11)

Suck It and See Don't Sit Down Cos I Moved Your Chair, Library Pictures, She Thunderstorms, W (3)

Humbug Crying Lightening, My Propeller, (2)

FWN Brianstorm, Flourescent Adolescent, 505, (3) 

WPSIAMTWIAN Dancing Shoes, I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, A Certain Romance, (4)

That's here.

Personally think there's far too much AM in that second one on paper, but don't remember thinking that on the night. 

how long did it take you to write this post?

Strange one the AM, they are always epic when I've seen them indoors, but every time I see them outdoors (including Glasto 13) they have fallen very flat. Earls Court and The O2 gigs in London have both been phenomenal over the last 2 tours, but Glasto and Finsbury have left me very disappointed. They're up there with the worst headliners I've seen in my 6 Glastonburys unfortunately. 

A band I love a lot and pretty much my soundtrack of my childhood and teens, don't listen to them as often but they do mean a great deal to me, would be ace to see them on the Pyramid, 2019 still feels not long since 2013 so not sure myself. If they did do it surely they'd be Saturday or Sunday having done Friday twice. Last time I saw them was Finsbury Park 2014 which was great. 

Humbug 

AM

WPSIATWIN

SIAS 

FWN 

13 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Strange one the AM, they are always epic when I've seen them indoors, but every time I see them outdoors (including Glasto 13) they have fallen very flat. Earls Court and The O2 gigs in London have both been phenomenal over the last 2 tours, but Glasto and Finsbury have left me very disappointed. They're up there with the worst headliners I've seen in my 6 Glastonburys unfortunately. 

They're a fantastic band but don't have that many soar away singalong songs that straight up rock bands generally need for a classic headline set outdoors. Even Bends/OKC Radiohead have more of those. 

Edited by arcade fireman

8 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

They're a fantastic band but don't have that many soar away singalong songs that straight up rock bands generally need for a classic headline set outdoors. Even Bends/OKC Radiohead have more of those. 

Yeah, they've a lot of crowd-pleasers but have never lowered themselves to naff out-and-out easy singalong choruses like Oasis and that. A good thing in many ways but will undoubtedly be holding them back at Glastonbury etc.

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Agreed, one of there best ever songs, wish they played it more live.