Jump to content
battleborn

Arctic Monkeys 2019

Recommended Posts

I'm up for this if I get a ticket (or any legit way of being on site). Saw them at T in 2014 and they nailed it, would have been the best night of my life if not for Biffy Clyro two days earlier so would love to see them at an even bigger arena. 

Hopefully the Friday night.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoping for this too, one of the bands I have yet to see. Wish I had of been there in 2013 as watching their set is what made me try for tickets in 2014 and then subsequently fall in love with Glastonbury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They seem an obvious headliner, but they won't have an awful lot new to offer from 2013. Having said that, they could change over half of the set they done, and still do the business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

They seem an obvious headliner, but they won't have an awful lot new to offer from 2013. Having said that, they could change over half of the set they done, and still do the business. 

They're currently in the studio making their 6th album,  unknown when it'll be out.

The 2013 set was arguably the greatest musical moment of my life, even though it was the 8th or so time I'd seen them. Nothing quite like watching one of your favourite ever bands at Glastonbury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

They seem an obvious headliner, but they won't have an awful lot new to offer from 2013. Having said that, they could change over half of the set they done, and still do the business. 

Depends massively on the new album. If they've been really productive they could even have a second album out or in the pipleline by 2019 (WPSIATWIN came out in 2006, with FWN in 2007 and Humbug in 2009, Suck It and See in 2011 and AM in 2013). Four years since the last album is a long break for them and includes a hiatus between 2014 and the back of end of 2016. Going by that we should expect an album late this year/early next year and potentially another album late 2019/early 2020 so they could have an awful lot more (two albums worth) to offer than there last set in that scenario; and that's before you even begin to consider the fact they could easily have played eight to ten different songs in their 2013 set and still not had a single complaint. 

I'm really interested to see what direction they go in with this next album, whether they play to their newfound AM fans or harp back to the earlier albums. 

I'd also love them to play some of their B sides in their next Glasto set, but I'm not sure how well 100,000 people would take to No Buses, The Bakery, The Afternoon's Hat, Catapult or Bigger Boys and Stolen Sweethearts being played. Who the Fuck are Arctic Monkeys? would be good in a sort of ironic way. (we're still fucking here, it wasn't who fuck the are arctic monkeys?)

Edited by battleborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

They seem an obvious headliner, but they won't have an awful lot new to offer from 2013. Having said that, they could change over half of the set they done, and still do the business. 

2013 setlist included barely anything from AM, they'd be fineeeee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

2013 setlist included barely anything from AM, they'd be fineeeee

Full set list is here. Only played 3 songs from Suck It and See, Humbug and AM. So between the 9 other songs and AM and whatever comes from the new album(s) they'd have plenty of material to switch in and could easily play a set without playing a song they played last time (although that'd be controversial as they'd have to leave quite a few fan favourites out).

AM Do I Wanna Know, R U Mind, Mad Sounds,  (3)

Suck It And See Don't Sit Down Cos I Moved Your Chair, Brick By Brick, She Thunderstorms,(3)

Humbug Crying Lightening, Pretty Visitors, Cornerstone, (3)

FWN Teddy Picker, Brianstorm, Old Yellow Bricks, Flourescent Adolescent, Do Me a Favour, 505 (6)

WPSIAMTWIAN Dancing Shoes, Fake Tales of San Franscisco. I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, A Certain Romance, Mardy Bum, When the Sun Goes Down,  (6)

At T in the Park next year, after AM had been replaced they played this for a set the same length:

AM Do I Wanna Know, Snap Out of It, Arabella, Knee Socks, Fireside, No 1 Party Anthem, One for Road, I Wanna Be Yours, R U Mine? hy Do You Only Call Me When I'm High?  (11)

Suck It and See Don't Sit Down Cos I Moved Your Chair, Library Pictures, She Thunderstorms, W (3)

Humbug Crying Lightening, My Propeller, (2)

FWN Brianstorm, Flourescent Adolescent, 505, (3) 

WPSIAMTWIAN Dancing Shoes, I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor, A Certain Romance, (4)

That's here.

 

Personally think there's far too much AM in that second one on paper, but don't remember thinking that on the night. 

Edited by battleborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

 they probably will, won't they?

100% whether in 2019 or 20 album release dependent. If they announce a new single etc and album coming by late next year then I think it's pretty nailed on along with other own shows, they would probably have a big chance of being a headline R&L take from Glasto for the following year too which happens quite often....this also leads to it as a Glasto show is way more likely before another fest show, probably didn't matter with Muse last time due to it being a less mainstream fest in Download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think they could probably get away with more or less ignoring Humbug and SIAS now. Four or five from each of their three most popular albums would be enough for them to be seen as having 'nailed it', regardless of how the upcoming record goes down 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

Think they could probably get away with more or less ignoring Humbug and SIAS now. Four or five from each of their three most popular albums would be enough for them to be seen as having 'nailed it', regardless of how the upcoming record goes down 

I agree with this, keep Crying Lightning and Cornerstone, they just don't have the intensity for Pretty Visitors anymore. As for Suck it & See they could pretty much def out the whole record and no-one would care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

100% whether in 2019 or 20 album release dependent. If they announce a new single etc and album coming by late next year then I think it's pretty nailed on along with other own shows, they would probably have a big chance of being a headline R&L take from Glasto for the following year too which happens quite often....this also leads to it as a Glasto show is way more likely before another fest show, probably didn't matter with Muse last time due to it being a less mainstream fest in Download.

Historically they've played Glasto at the beginning of an album release cycle and the other festivals after it, wonder if they see it as good testing ground for the live show before the album comes out. Whether they headline before or after the realise date is the question. In 2007 they headlined the month after FWN came out, which gave them a chance do Glasto and T in the Park after the album came out and launch into their tour, in 2013 they did Glasto at the beginning of their tour, before AM had been released. The likelihood is if they do headline it's going to be before the album comes out or the beginning of the tour after it comes out.

Going by that a festival in 2018 (when we expect Album Six to drop) would have been ideal for them.

In addition there's no tour dates for Last Shadow Puppets, which is even better indication that Alex is busy working on an AM album in the latter stages. 

21 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Think they could probably get away with more or less ignoring Humbug and SIAS now. Four or five from each of their three most popular albums would be enough for them to be seen as having 'nailed it', regardless of how the upcoming record goes down 

Crying Lightening and Cornerstone aside probably. 

Edited by battleborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

As for Suck it & See they could pretty much def out the whole record and no-one would care.

Best album. They do play the wrong songs off it though.

IMO instead of ignoring Humbug and SIAS, they wanna shrink the first two albums down to essentials and try and move on from it. I know loadsa peeps have nostalgia for those days but the band has moved far from it now and it's weird seeing them revert to teenage Sheffielders in three minute bursts. Particularly at Glasto where they've hammered those two records twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Humbug and Suck It and See are their best albums for me but I do agree with others that we'll probably only get 3-4 max from those two combined on the next tour. To be honest that combined with them being very patchy live means I don't have too much interest in them as a live act these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Best album. They do play the wrong songs off it though.

IMO instead of ignoring Humbug and SIAS, they wanna shrink the first two albums down to essentials and try and move on from it. I know loadsa peeps have nostalgia for those days but the band has moved far from it now and it's weird seeing them revert to teenage Sheffielders in three minute bursts. Particularly at Glasto where they've hammered those two records twice.

Look at some of the more recent set-lists; they already are and did so for most of the AM tour. With limits to what they can fit in a set it really feels like this album is a watershed moment, if they keep the AM vibe going, you could see them cutting loads of stuff from the first four albums down to absolute bare bones. From The Last Shadow Puppets album "Everything That You've Come to Expect" it feels like Turner is definitely more for the AM vibe going on, whether that's him getting it all out of his system before going for something a bit of more FWN or WPSIATWIAN vibe with the entire band or a signal that they want to make another AM with the next album, I suppose will find out. I'm guessing the latter, as it sold bloody well and they seemed to have bought themselves a new lease of life from it. But they could go yet another direction with A6 you just don't know.

I'm half tempted to bet on the album being called PM if they do keep the AM vibe but that seems a bit lazy by their standards. 

Also think a guest appearance from Miles Kane to do a few Last Shadow Puppets Songs would be good, but might be seen as over-the-top and a bit of a time-waste with so much Arctic Monkeys gold to play. 

They've got 49 album tracks (soon to be 59-64) and 39 B-Sides (and more than likely a few more from the next album) to pick from in chosing a set list. Narrowing that down to 21 must be a nightmare, although to be fair they rarely play the B-sides. 

Edited by battleborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2009-2011 Arctic Monkeys is one of my favourite bands of all time. The first album is great and FWN has great moments, but like they have kind of dated. Not in a bad way but like they're of their time if you get me. Humbug though could be from any era and is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Second half especially of SIAS is sensational, Love Is A Lazerquest blows me away every time.

Agree with dental that they need to play the bare minimum from 06-07 now. That music just doesn't suit them anymore imo as good as a lot of it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked Suck It and See. Thought it was a very solid album from start to finish. I would like to think they would play Library Pictures, since they didn't last time. 

Would also be well up for them playing From the Ritz to the Rubble from the debut, since they've ignored it for years.

Edited by Alan_C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I really liked Suck It and See. Thought it was a very solid album from start to finish. I would like to think they would play Library Pictures, since they didn't last time. 

Doesn't this massively depend on A6? - if A6 has a lot of tracks like AM on it you'd expect them to basically stick to those two albums, with a few of the classics with a similar sound peppered in for good measure. They're never going to not be able to play I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor though, but that might well end up being the only non-negotiable from those albums if A6 is basically AM2 and A7 (if they stick together that long - but there is no indication they won't - an the hiatus for Alex to go and work and TLSP seemed to have been a godsend in that regard) is AM3 - as it will hold the "AM fanbase". If A6 goes in a completely new direction again then you could have some set that traverses the entire six albums flawlessly. That's why I said further up this thread a see this as their watershed moment where they decide if - in terms of sound - they are "those sheffield lads" (as someone else put it) or if they are AM. 

I mean if they just wanted to have some fun they could just come out and do a tenth anniversary celebration of Humbug. Then play some stuff from the new album and AM in the encore. The fact they've been so able to evolve is why they've stuck around so long at the top of the game, but it also must present a massive headache when it comes to live performances in trying to please their diverse fan base. If someone who got it into them during AM went to that Glastonbury set being played a year later they might feel disappointed, meanwhile some people who got into them during the Suck It And See period would probably come away from that T in the Park set a bit disappointed. 

Edited by battleborn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Doesn't this massively depend on A6? - if A6 has a lot of tracks like AM on it you'd expect them to basically stick to those two albums, with a few of the classics with a similar sound peppered in for good measure. They're never going to not be able to play I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor though, but that might well end up being the only non-negotiable from those albums if A6 is basically AM2 and A7 (if they stick together that long - but there is no indication they won't - an the hiatus for Alex to go and work and TLSP seemed to have been a godsend in that regard) is AM3 - as it will hold the "AM fanbase". If A6 goes in a completely new direction again then you could have some set that traverses the entire six albums flawlessly. That's why I said further up this thread a see this as their watershed moment where they decide if - in terms of sound - they are "those sheffield lads" (as someone else put it) or if they are AM. 

I mean if they just wanted to have some fun they could just come out and do a tenth anniversary celebration of Humbug. Then play some stuff from the new album and AM in the encore. The fact they've been so able to evolve is why they've stuck around so long at the top of the game, but it also must present a massive headache when it comes to live performances in trying to please their diverse fan base. If someone who got it into them during AM went to that Glastonbury set being played a year later they might feel disappointed, meanwhile some people who got into them during the Suck It And See period would probably come away from that T in the Park set a bit disappointed. 

A Humbug filled set would go down like a bag of hammers in general mind. It's not a 'festival friendly' album at all, for the casual listener. They could definitely get away with only playing a few from the first two, then spreading the rest of the set out though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alan_C said:

A Humbug filled set would go down like a bag of hammers in general mind. It's not a 'festival friendly' album at all, for the casual listener. They could definitely get away with only playing a few from the first two, then spreading the rest of the set out though.

That was a rather tongue in cheek suggestion. You could imagine the guardian review the next day "provided with one of the greatest stages in the world to throw a party, Arctic Monkeys decided to bore the festival faithful to death with a homage to an album that many casual fans aren't particularly fond of in a self-indulgent active of vandalism on the world's biggest stage. A homily of classic hits in the encore somewhat made up for it, unfortunately only those few hundred soles who hadn't left or died of boredom were there to enjoy it"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love if Arctic Monkeys headlined again, seen them twice, but not on the hallowed Pyramid Stage. But as part of the deal, Eavis should get Alex Turner to drop the faux - Elvis moves. Really, Really grates on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

A Humbug filled set would go down like a bag of hammers in general mind. It's not a 'festival friendly' album at all, for the casual listener. They could definitely get away with only playing a few from the first two, then spreading the rest of the set out though.

I saw them do this at Leeds 09, went down like a sack of shit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×