The XX

The Red Telephone

2 minutes ago, Ducky89 said:

Amazing, so much so I over indulged on the vino and passed out ahead of Radiohead..

Only grumble was no sign of replica which I was looking forward to, although I think it was hit and miss on the tour.

Sadly wasn't on any of the setlists I looked at, so I was prepared. A real album highlight that they barely play live. Have they ever played it?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sadly wasn't on any of the setlists I looked at, so I was prepared. A real album highlight that they barely play live. Have they ever played it?

they played it on a few dates at the very start of the tour early in the year, then dropped it, but played it all throughout May and at Primavera in June.

42 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Before they played it at Primavera they introduced it as one that they'd been having trouble playing live. Probably one they won't go back to much in the future.

I thought they were brilliant. I'm a fan but I had concerns going into it. Tough spot on the Pyramid for a band that probably, on paper, looked like they'd struggle in that environment. But they smashed it. Great performances, great chemistry on stage, good interaction with the crowd, they looked like they were loving every moment and it was infectious.

Romy's voice was unbelievable, delivery on Permformance was spine tingling. Jamie's production makes a huge difference to their live performance, even songs like Angels you could almost dance to. Only minor complaint would be that I'd have liked to have heard A Violent Noise as it's my favourite song on the new album, but aside from that the set list ticked most of the boxes.

As a quick aside on the latest album: I've been listening to it again after having a break for a few months and I absolutely love it. Brave For You is about the only track I can't get on board with. As a record it's streets ahead of Coexist and I'm increasingly of a mind that it's up there with their debut. 

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I thought they were brilliant. I'm a fan but I had concerns going into it. Tough spot on the Pyramid for a band that probably, on paper, looked like they'd struggle in that environment. But they smashed it. Great performances, great chemistry on stage, good interaction with the crowd, they looked like they were loving every moment and it was infectious.

Romy's voice was unbelievable, delivery on Permformance was spine tingling. Jamie's production makes a huge difference to their live performance, even songs like Angels you could almost dance to. Only minor complaint would be that I'd have liked to have heard A Violent Noise as it's my favourite song on the new album, but aside from that the set list ticked most of the boxes.

As a quick aside on the latest album: I've been listening to it again after having a break for a few months and I absolutely love it. Brave For You is about the only track I can't get on board with. As a record it's streets ahead of Coexist and I'm increasingly of a mind that it's up there with their debut. 

Now it's had time to sink in, and I've seen them live, I think it's better than the debut.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Now it's had time to sink in, and I've seen them live, I think it's better than the debut.

I'm not quite there yet, but I could see myself coming to that conclusion too. Listened to it on vinyl last night for the first time and the whole Side A is pretty much perfect 

I'm a fan and was actually quite disappointed by them at Brixton. Thought they paced the setlist terribly. Having said that, thought they absolutely nailed the Pyramid. I was sure they would flop but their setlist was perfect and I thought they smashed it. Future headliners for sure

Performance was stunning. Romy's vulnerability shone through, making it an extremely intense rendition of the song. One of my stand out moments of the festival for sure. 

In fact, I'm going to watch it on iplayer right now. 

Edited by nikkic

Just watched the whole set back. Majestic performance, it really was so much fun. 

The set just built perfectly, from intimate moments to the more ravey stuff. Performance and Loud Places as amazing as I remembered. Infinity sounded epic as well. 

Can we take a second to appreciate the full arc that we all have been on from where we first played Say Something Loving and really didn't get it, to quite liked it in I See You on the first play to loved it after a few plays to absolute tingles at Glasto. Magical.

22 hours ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Thst slither of Belfast before On Hold was a moment 

Wasn't it just?!

The first time I heard Gosh, i felt it shared a lot of DNA with Belfast, without ripping it off. Fitting that Jamie teased it in before On Hold.

As a group, there's no doubting they're maturing nicely, however I think Jamie has had a sensational few years and is now the driving force behind what they do. And long may it continue!

13 hours ago, Eyebrow said:

Wasn't it just?!

The first time I heard Gosh, i felt it shared a lot of DNA with Belfast, without ripping it off. Fitting that Jamie teased it in before On Hold.

As a group, there's no doubting they're maturing nicely, however I think Jamie has had a sensational few years and is now the driving force behind what they do. And long may it continue!

Amen to this, wonderfully put!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kingcrawler said:

What was the capacity like? I passed the stage on the train yesterday afternoon and the space didn't look that big. 

Glad it went down well, I'd considered going but saw them at Primavera and Glastonbury so thought I'd give these gigs a miss. 

Its a great space for a concert, loads of room and a real intimate feel, I was surprised how big the stage was! Sound was incredible!!

bit of a queue for the bar, soon went down once they were on

really cracking night

Edited by blue6field

Went to Glasgow last night - really liked the venue, it produced a real event feel, the bars and food outlets seemed to be coping (though could have done with zig zag queuing in the inside bar) and the sound and lights worked really well in the space. Hope it becomes a more regular summer gig venue, it's a good addition to the range of venues in Glasgow.

Was always going to enjoy The XX and knew what to expect after seeing them in Manchester in March, though noticed the set was shorter overall (than they did in Manchester) and Jamie XX's party piece in particular was shorter.  But no complaints, great evening and us long distance gig commuters always love a pre 10pm finish!