What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2019?

Jne___

4 hours ago, Charm said:

I’ve been looking for some decent boots, my old pair failed me last time when the sole came off and I ended up with a very hurty ankle, thinking that Dr Martens might be a good choice as proper walking boots would be a waste as I would only use them for Glastonbury.  

Charm x 

As a kind of middle ground, I've come to the conclusion that for my festival needs Magnum (police) boots are the best option. Don't need much if any breaking in, some of them go higher than most normal walking boots for if there's deep m*d, they look reasonably smart so can be used outside festival land, and can get them fully waterproof and with other options like zip fastening.

However they can be expensive (for my tastes) so you might find that like walking boots, if you're not using them much in the real world they're not worth it.

Maybe not as cool but fur lined rigger boots always look pretty comfy. Waterproof versions too. Probably could spray them with some gold spray?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dickies-Premium-Quality-Protection-Resistant/dp/B00N37FKA2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_309_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=WEDWNBB61KHQQ1R04B4F

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Wow, those are beautiful!! Are they DMs..? If so, are they the slightly less solid leather ones?

No they're not leather they're man-made and from a company called yes we vibe in America. Didn't need breaking in at all - comfy from day 1 and wore them all day at bearded theory.  They don't look as bright now though after a few wears! 

11 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

No they're not leather they're man-made and from a company called yes we vibe in America. Didn't need breaking in at all - comfy from day 1 and wore them all day at bearded theory.  They don't look as bright now though after a few wears! 

Wow - just checked out the website. So many cool designs! If they're man-made, do you think/know they're waterproof?

Bit the bullet and ordered these - https://www.trespass.com/barkley-mens-walking-boots

Reduced from £115 to £34.99 which is frankly obscene. Waterproof, mudguard, ankle supportive cushioned collar and tongue, arch stabilising and supportive shank, cushioned and moulded footbed... Can't go wrong. 

I've got trips to Norway and Estonia planned as well as Glasto so plenty of opportunities to get used to wearing them.  Only annoying thing is I really wanted black but they were sold out in my size so I went for the grey. Can't turn down an offer like that!

20 hours ago, incident said:

As a kind of middle ground, I've come to the conclusion that for my festival needs Magnum (police) boots are the best option. Don't need much if any breaking in, some of them go higher than most normal walking boots for if there's deep m*d, they look reasonably smart so can be used outside festival land, and can get them fully waterproof and with other options like zip fastening.

However they can be expensive (for my tastes) so you might find that like walking boots, if you're not using them much in the real world they're not worth it.

A rozzer friend recommended these a few years ago,absolutely brilliant,nice mid way between full on walking boots and "just" boots. Personally favour the higher leg boots and especially so in wet/muddy conditions. Banged a pair of gel insoles ones(don't buy scholl at 15,you can get exactly same on eBay for about 3quid) and felt like walking on air

9 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I'm a welly girl through and through. Pay a bit more for comfy wellies and no amount of mud and water will ruin your fest. I've got Le Chemeau wellies. They may be poncey and expensive but by god they're comfortable.

I had a cheap pair of £20 wellies from a horsey shop, so they had the thicker heels designed for stirrups (don't ride but Mrs Q does and there was a chance I might). By all the laws of earth and the heavens they should have been dreadful.

Lasted nearly 10 years and saw me through 6 festivals including the shitfests of both Glastonbury and Download in 2016. Nary a blister or rubbed heel to be seen. Go figure.

22 hours ago, incident said:

jumping in to say my husband swears by magnums... wears them every time to glasto and they always perform.  They are his every day boots too

I find DMs too heavy in the mud - I have a well worn in pair of walking boots that, even when 'over-topped' by liquid mud in 2007, still left me with dry feet

2 hours ago, Skoo said:

I'm a welly girl through and through. Pay a bit more for comfy wellies and no amount of mud and water will ruin your fest. I've got Le Chemeau wellies. They may be poncey and expensive but by god they're comfortable.

I'm also a welly girl. These look good! I've never heard of them - will deffo consider them for my next purchase. I'm still wearing my hunters from 2009 and they've been fine, although granted I didn't need them in 2017 so the last time I wore them properly was 2015 (I swerved 2016 - I probably would have enjoyed it regardless of the rain but if there was one to miss...).

I don't think you can spend too much on your footwear really, especially if you are a Glasto regular. There's no point in ruining the festival for yourself because your feet are in agony.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

There's no point in ruining the festival for yourself because your feet are in agony.

This. My lovely but very disorganised husband needs size 13/14 shoes which are hard to get in the shops. In the run up to 2016 festival I kept reminding (nagging) him daily to get wellies sorted online and he kept putting it off.

In the end, he buys a pair of size 12s from the local outdoor shop the DAY BEFORE the festival, because of course, he's left it too late to order some good ones online and it has become very clear that it is going to be a complete mud bath.

The end result is that his feet were completely fucked by the end of Thursday, we missed loads of stuff we wanted to see because he was moaning about his sore feet, and his big toe nail actually fell off a couple of weeks after the fest from being so squeezed into an ill-fitting welly for days on end.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed lording this story over him ever since and he now concedes that I am always right, which I think is worth all the moaning and missed bands.

There's a moral here somewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I had a cheap pair of £20 wellies from a horsey shop, so they had the thicker heels designed for stirrups (don't ride but Mrs Q does and there was a chance I might). By all the laws of earth and the heavens they should have been dreadful.

Lasted nearly 10 years and saw me through 6 festivals including the shitfests of both Glastonbury and Download in 2016. Nary a blister or rubbed heel to be seen. Go figure.

You found the foot equivalent of the holy grail.

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

This. My lovely but very disorganised husband needs size 13/14 shoes which are hard to get in the shops. In the run up to 2016 festival I kept reminding (nagging) him daily to get wellies sorted online and he kept putting it off.

In the end, he buys a pair of size 12s from the local outdoor shop the DAY BEFORE the festival, because of course, he's left it too late to order some good ones online and it has become very clear that it is going to be a complete mud bath.

The end result is that his feet were completely fucked by the end of Thursday, we missed loads of stuff we wanted to see because he was moaning about his sore feet, and his big toe nail actually fell off a couple of weeks after the fest from being so squeezed into an ill-fitting welly for days on end.

On the plus side, I've enjoyed lording this story over him ever since and he now concedes that I am always right, which I think is worth all the moaning and missed bands.

There's a moral here somewhere.

I would be cross. However, you are winning there.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:00 AM, MetaKate said:

I second this... surely other bags exist. 

I walked 10km today while celebrating Canadas legalalization... felt like the only way a person could really "train" to do glasto

Extremely jealous of this. Always considered moving to Canada, this may just sway it! 

On 10/18/2018 at 12:21 PM, Charm said:

Thanks for all the great advice wonderful people, I have my heart set on these as they are so pretty and I’m hoping they might be easier to break in than regular lace up ones. 

Charm x

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p/22133001

Hi Charm a friend told me years ago to tape the bits on my feet that are likely to blister with zinc oxide tape to wear in new docs. Ive never had a blister and they dont take more than a week or so to wear in. Julie x

1 hour ago, Babylon sister said:

Hi Charm a friend told me years ago to tape the bits on my feet that are likely to blister with zinc oxide tape to wear in new docs. Ive never had a blister and they dont take more than a week or so to wear in. Julie x

Thanks for the tip, blisters suck, my boots are arriving tomorrow and surprisingly I have some zinc tape, you may of just saved my feet.

Charm x

I am in the research room of my department at uni on a SATURDAY and telling myself that working now will make it more likely that I will have thesis submitted before Glastonbury. The belief that this counts as "Glastonbury preparation" in some way makes me feel slightly better....which is good, because today is also an open day and the building is full of 17 year olds, who are not my favourite demographic.