What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2019?

Jne___

28 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I continued my tent research (my usual tent it on the cusp of failing), and discovered I have been sleeping in my tent the wrong way round my whole life! All the pictures illustrating the number of people who are meant to fit in the tent, show the persons head goes near the entrance, where as I always assumed that if you're on a slight slope, you ensure the entrance is at the bottom of the slope (so rain/puddles/streams wouldn't flow into the tent when you open the door, and then you sleep with your head at the top of the slope, and meaning your feet are then at the the tent entrance.

I refuse to believe I am wrong on this!

Sleeping with your head by the entrance?? What madness is this?

34 minutes ago, Charm said:

I’ve been looking for some decent boots, my old pair failed me last time when the sole came off and I ended up with a very hurty ankle, thinking that Dr Martens might be a good choice as proper walking boots would be a waste as I would only use them for Glastonbury.  

Charm x

DMs are sexy as hell but make sure you give them plenty of time to break in. Mine still savage my feet after two winters :( I've given up and bought some (supposedly completely) waterproof timberlands which arrived yesterday. Also quite sexy and look like they'll go with everything. 

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en/tbl-uk/women-footwear-boots/nellie-chukka-for-women-in-black-23398001

They've only had one outing so far, and I would be lying if I said my feet weren't a tiny bit blistered today....but I walked about 2 miles in them, and had them on for a good 8 hours and my feet weren't actually bleeding like they were after the DMs first outing, so I chalk that up as a big win! 

I suppose they could actually work for Glastonbury too....but I'd be a bit too scared of wearing them incase I wrecked them I think. 

3 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

I typed 'sack truck' into eBay ?

After 10+ visits I took a sack truck for the first time in 2014.

Never, ever, EVER again.

I shoulda known better.

Lugging that effing thing across the fields was horrific.

Give me a brisk, early morning, hangover clearing walk back to the car - breakfast on route - to stock up on beer any day.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Sleeping with your head by the entrance?? What madness is this?

Well, thats what I thought! But now I'm worried everyones been watching me climb in my tent all these years, laughing at me thinking "oh look, it's a backward tenter!".

Here is the type of picture thats making me doubt myself- they all have the sleeping bags that way round (with the head by the entrance!)

vango-alpha-250-floor-plan.png

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

DMs are sexy as hell but make sure you give them plenty of time to break in. Mine still savage my feet after two winters :( I've given up and bought some (supposedly completely) waterproof timberlands which arrived yesterday. Also quite sexy and look like they'll go with everything. 

https://www.timberland.co.uk/shop/en/tbl-uk/women-footwear-boots/nellie-chukka-for-women-in-black-23398001

They've only had one outing so far, and I would be lying if I said my feet weren't a tiny bit blistered today....but I walked about 2 miles in them, and had them on for a good 8 hours and my feet weren't actually bleeding like they were after the DMs first outing, so I chalk that up as a big win! 

I suppose they could actually work for Glastonbury too....but I'd be a bit too scared of wearing them incase I wrecked them I think. 

I always take my Timbaland (PPE) work boots to G.

Broken in at work and super comfy.

(I hate wellies; the rubbery, flappy, rubby bastards).

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Well, thats what I thought! But now I'm worried everyones been watching me climb in my tent all these years, laughing at me thinking "oh look, it's a backward tenter!".

Here is the type of picture thats making me doubt myself- they all have the sleeping bags that way round (with the head by the entrance!)

vango-alpha-250-floor-plan.png

Why would anyone put their head near the entrance??? That's insane.

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

After 10+ visits I took a sack truck for the first time in 2014.

Never, ever, EVER again.

I shoulda known better.

Lugging that effing thing across the fields was horrific.

Give me a brisk, early morning, hangover clearing walk back to the car - breakfast on route - to stock up on beer any day.

When I camped down in the thick of it I used to take a Wheel barrow and that in my mind was better than a sack truck.

Get one with a pump up tyre and you're laughing.

However make sure you don't have friends like mine who one year decided to let the tyre down.

Pushing that back up the hill by Ped gate C was difficult to say the least.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

When I camped down in the thick of it I used to take a Wheel barrow and that in my mind was better than a sack truck.

However make sure you don't have friends like mine who one year decided to let the tyre down.

We'll be taking a 3 year old this time, so:

1. Camped much nearer to Gate B in Cockmill.

2. Significantly less booze to take / carry.

3. Looking into the whole new realm of Glasto-proof pushchairs!

I lugged the sodding sack truck straight back up the Hill of Death on the Wednesday I think. I was sick of the sight of the bloody thing.

Edited by Woffy

1 hour ago, Charm said:

I’ve been looking for some decent boots, my old pair failed me last time when the sole came off and I ended up with a very hurty ankle, thinking that Dr Martens might be a good choice as proper walking boots would be a waste as I would only use them for Glastonbury.  

Charm x

I echo the 'wear them in' concerns. I'm debating whether or not I go with my old ones (v old) and risk maybe a break / snap and water / mud getting in, or splashing on some new ones and then wearing them everyday to ease them in. Problems.

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Charm x

DMs - once broken in, they're fine in sticky mud, but NOT in standing water. We all know that a properly w*t Glastonbury will present a combo of these obstacles. Stepped-into water will find your socks and feet as DM boot tongues are not sewn into the side of the boot. They'll leak through the eyelet holes too...

Aesthetics aside, the only genuinely effective options for a 2016-er (yes and 2007 et al, veterans!) are wellies (for five days? Mental) or properly waterproof boots. I'll stay in shorts in the shittiest festival weather, but if I'm dancing 'til the morning, I want my feet dry...

:)

Ben

13 minutes ago, Woffy said:

We'll be taking a 3 year old this time, so:

1. Camped much nearer to Gate B in Cockmill.

2. Significantly less booze to take / carry.

3. Looking into the whole new realm of Glasto-proof pushchairs!

I lugged the sodding sack truck straight back up the Hill of Death on the Wednesday I think. I was sick of the sight of the bloody thing.

My friends take their kids and get by using a running pushchair with pump up tyres.

Much like this picture. I don't think the one they have is a double but it does fit one child + any excess kit you don't want to carry on your back.

pushchair.JPG

34 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

So wheelbarrow not sack truck ?

1 minute ago, fuzzy_logic said:

So wheelbarrow not sack truck ?

In my experience yes but pump up tyres are essential over fields and track. Otherwise you'll feel every bump and stone there is.

Wheelbarrows also double up as seats which is handy around camp...

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Charm x

Nice idea but I've had my beloved gold docs for over a year now and still can't wear them for days on end without blisters and as the other doc rightly says you'll be stuffed in a wet year. 

Good walking boots will last you years and your feet will thank you. Or wellies. I've gotten away with wearing mine in 2016 but they can be a bit sticky and squelchy. 

Just now, jyoung said:

Speaking of wet feet. Anyone got any experience with waterproof socks that aren't gonna cost me 30 quid? Do they even work? Talk to me!

seal skinz are incredible I even dance in puddles with those ... unfortunately dont have experience of cheaper ones but they have lasted me many festivals 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

seal skinz are incredible I even dance in puddles with those ... unfortunately dont have experience of cheaper ones but they have lasted me many festivals 

Hmmm. I wore docs in 2016 and my feet got wet, wore boots last year and it was great. Just worry about mid height walking boots in big wet mud and could do with some long waterproof socks underneath just incase it goes over the top!

So you reckon they're worth the investment? I don't mind spending if they actually work / last but don't really fancy wearing the same pair for five days ha. 

1 minute ago, jyoung said:

Hmmm. I wore docs in 2016 and my feet got wet, wore boots last year and it was great. Just worry about mid height walking boots in big wet mud and could do with some long waterproof socks underneath just incase it goes over the top!

So you reckon they're worth the investment? I don't mind spending if they actually work / last but don't really fancy wearing the same pair for five days ha. 

they worked well for me ... a decent investment, maybe wear another thin pair underneath that I believe is often recommended to help with blisters ... I wear them with semi waterproof walking shoes unless really liquid mud ..then I resort to wellies 

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Just bring some gaiters in case it gets really bad?  Not that it's going to, of course.

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Just bring some gaiters in case it gets really bad?  Not that it's going to, of course.

I'm an absolute novice. Just had to Google 'gaiters'. Can safely say if they didn't look like that, they would be game changer for me!

Fingers crossed for bare feet in the sun!

10 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Yeh this is what I always worry about - I know that boots are obvs waaaay more comfy than wellies (not including my DMs), but I dont fancy getting water/mud/rain/whatever over the top of them! 

18 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Nice idea but I've had my beloved gold docs for over a year now and still can't wear them for days on end without blisters and as the other doc rightly says you'll be stuffed in a wet year. 

I can't even wear mine across the road to Tesco express without the left one ruining me :( Unless I'm drunk. I have observed that somehow if I'm pissed enough, it's kind of ok. But I'm mostly just scared to put the bastards on anymore. 

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

I always take my Timbaland (PPE) work boots to G.

Broken in at work and super comfy.

(I hate wellies; the rubbery, flappy, rubby bastards).

How long did yours take to break in? I'm remaining optimistic so far. They're a reasonably snug fit but they feel like they're gonna give at least a little bit. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

My friends take their kids and get by using a running pushchair with pump up tyres.

Much like this picture. I don't think the one they have is a double but it does fit one child + any excess kit you don't want to carry on your back.

pushchair.JPG

Phwoar. I'm liking that, Joey. Gonna search online for Thule. The ones I've seen (weekid?) are effing expensive. Cheers.

55 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

How long did yours take to break in? I'm remaining optimistic so far. They're a reasonably snug fit but they feel like they're gonna give at least a little bit. 

About 2 weeks on and off at work (alternating between smart work shoes). The fact that they're steel toes caps (but don't look it) mean you've got plenty of room and the toes don't rub at all. But, yeah, a couple of weeks to break the heel area in.

Good luck.