What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2019?

Jne___

Just had a week in Poland with work and bought back a couple of bottles of this , already in plastic bottles, not sure they will both last until June, other than that I’m researching tents , back in uk again next weekend for a gig and a camping show near Gatwick on the Sunday ... hoping to pick up a tent ? 

18 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Feedback, this is perfectly quoffable wine. Pack it into a chiller and it will see you right. Light and inoffensive. 

This is the wine we have taken with us for the last 3 or 4 Glastonbury’s. Easy to drink and asyou have said light and inoffensive. We take a cooler full of ice and it stays cold for the whole festival. 

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

Bought myself a nice new big rucksack. Cheap previous one was a nightmare in the three-hour queue to get in last time. And then one of the straps snapped!

Heading off to look at rucksacks tomorrow. Queuing with 4 big holdalls and a back pack at ped gate A for hours in the baking sun was not easy. 

@duke88, @Ayrshire Chris I have started the search for a new rucksack.

I would be interested to know what you went for / decide on.  Also if anyone else has any suggestions....

Particularly any ladies that have a female fit rucksack, are they worth going for?

I would like one with a zip in the front.

My old rucksack was 75l I could/should probably go slightly smaller so I don't take as much stuff.

8 minutes ago, Miesh said:

I would be interested to know what you went for / decide on.  Also if anyone else has any suggestions....

Particularly any ladies that have a female fit rucksack, are they worth going for?

My old rucksack was 75l I could/should probably go slightly smaller so I don't take as much stuff.

I'm 5'3 and have narrow shoulders, so a female fit backpack is a no-brainer for me. If you're particularly tall you might be better off with a unisex one. Best if you can try it on in a shop to get a good fit.

11 hours ago, Simsy said:

I'm 5'3 and have narrow shoulders, so a female fit backpack is a no-brainer for me. If you're particularly tall you might be better off with a unisex one. Best if you can try it on in a shop to get a good fit.

Thank you. I'm 5'5 so not particularly tall.  I would prefer to try it on first but I don't think that the local places carry much of a range, particularly female fit ones.  I will look.  All part of the fun/preparation though :)

4 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

That doesn't really narrow it down Gnommy. Pretty sure you park your arse in Avalon for the 5 days. ;)

Fair comment but this effects the short cut to Avalon from West Holts! Bloody tent full of people doing the Salsa in the way. 

On 3/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, Jay89 said:

I got couple of vouchers from work and decided to look at must have’s for festival.

Anyone used this before? Looks incredibly handy to carry, not too sure about quality.

2A797903-812C-432A-B665-F27362F302F8.png

I’ve had one in the past. They’re fine. If you’re rough with the fabric it will tear and the zip is quite capable of getting stuck but they’re comfy enough and will keep you sufficiently warm and supported. 

Make sure you get a pump too, though

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, annax said:

I’ve had one in the past. They’re fine. If you’re rough with the fabric it will tear and the zip is quite capable of getting stuck but they’re comfy enough and will keep you sufficiently warm and supported. 

Make sure you get a pump too, though

It’s this vs some simple camp bed and thick sleeping bag. For now this wins, as it seems it’ll be lighter/more compact for carrying.

6 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

It’s this vs some simple camp bed and thick sleeping bag. For now this wins, as it seems it’ll be lighter/more compact for carrying.

Comes in a square shape that will fit into your backpack. I used to pack the inflatable bit and the fabric bit separately just to balance things out in the pack. 

47 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

I reckon there are three weight v. comfort choices:

1. Camping mat v. bed
  2. Sleeping bag v. duvet
  3. Pillows: diet v. full-fat

I use expensive lightweight expedition kit when I need to, but for festivals, I go for bulky luxury every time.  You can't beat a duvet and pillows, and even mountaineers etc. have cottoned on to this as you can now buy lightweight packable down duvets. I just use a normal one, compressed with luggage straps and carry it, with the pillows, in a bag tied to my rucksack.

This extravagance evolved from a double ReadyBed I had many years ago.  These are okay, but the washing machine will eventually eat the cover and the mattress will pop.  You can get a few years out of air-beds if you (1) buy decent quality (2) buy/make a tougher tent groundsheet (3) bring a puncture repair kit - a roll of gaffer tape will work if the puncture isn't on a seam.

Whatever you get, test it out in foreseeable Glastonbury conditions: i.e. cold and on a slope.  That way, if you and your sleeping bag slide down your camping mat to the foot of your tent, you'll have a chance to sort it out so you can make the most of the limited sleeping time before your tent becomes an oven.

I've been enviously eyeing up this thread for weeks now but didn't want to contribute until I had anything.

This is a big week for me. On Tuesday I'll be booking my flights from Melbourne. Today, I've looked again at my budget to make doubly sure this isn't a suicide mission, financially. Turns out I'll just suffer some severe head wounds so that's OK.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Miesh said:

I went for this one:

https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-sherpa-65-rucksack-p149978

Tried it on in store (it was billed out with something), and it felt nice and comfy and sturdy. Nice straps, adjustable at the back. Hopefully will do the job!

22 minutes ago, duke88 said:

I went for this one:

Tried it on in store (it was billed out with something), and it felt nice and comfy and sturdy. Nice straps, adjustable at the back. Hopefully will do the job!

Nice! Thank you.

I like how rucksacks are described as being compatible with ice axes. Good to know I guess but thankfully not required for Glastonbury ?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Miesh said:

Nice! Thank you.

I like how rucksacks are described as being compatible with ice axes. Good to know I guess but thankfully not required for Glastonbury ?

well with climate change you never know :) ... I never thought dinghies or canoes would be required 

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

I went for this one:

That’s the one we saw, tried it and yes it was comfy. Got a mate who can lend me two, one for me and one for my wife, he’s a DOE leader. Will check them out before I decide if I need to buy. Seeing the tents, sleeping bags etc in Go Outdoors does get the adrenaline pumping for the festival !

• Upvote 1