What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2019?

Jne___

It looks so quiet in this pic!

Once a fence goes in on the other side (people were queuing there in 2016? Crew maybe?), you quickly forget that you're in a field.

I have some pics but none appropriate - my eyes are like Puss in Boots's!

1oyaiw.jpg

Still getting familiar with the van we bought last year. Testing the new awning and a cosy wild camp in February's better than expected weather. 

We've lots of stuff planned before Glastonbury, including Bearded Theory, but that week will be our longest trip yet and we'll have pals camping with us in CV East 

_20190216_161244.JPG

DSC_0828.JPG

13 hours ago, incident said:

For a first timer, I'm impressed you knew to find the dragon, let alone managed it - we often get posts on here along the lines "I've been 5 times and never knew it existed."

Though the lay of the land will seem massively different when all the stalls, stages, etc are in place.

I had just googled a walk around the site and saw someone else’s photos of various bits and then actually just stumbled across the dragon. 

Took delivery of a lovely new tent, would set it up as it’s such a nice day but as one of my neighbours uses our shared garden as an ashtray and the other as a compost heap I will just have to wait til I can get over to my nans place, shame as I want to see it up. 

Charm x

I got a new job (yay!) which is going to start probably sometime in June. The only trouble is, it's in Glasgow, which is in exactly the wrong direction and absolutely nowhere near Glastonbury. I normally get a bus from Sheffield, but what am I supposed to do now? Presumably I'll have to travel down the night before....and probably stay somewhere close on the Monday night too because I think I might die if I tried getting the train or bus all that way on the Monday. Suicide Tuesday prospects also just got a whole lot grimmer....

Any travel suggestions from any Scottish e-festers very welcome!

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I got a new job (yay!) which is going to start probably sometime in June. The only trouble is, it's in Glasgow, which is in exactly the wrong direction and absolutely nowhere near Glastonbury. I normally get a bus from Sheffield, but what am I supposed to do now? Presumably I'll have to travel down the night before....and probably stay somewhere close on the Monday night too because I think I might die if I tried getting the train or bus all that way on the Monday. Suicide Tuesday prospects also just got a whole lot grimmer....

Depending on your luggage what about flying to Bristol or Exeter.  Also check national express coaches from Glasgow or whatever they call themselves now

4 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I think someone on here organises a bus from Glasgow and often has spaces  ....hopefully they will spot this 

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

found it ... just look on the lift share thread :) 

I'm not Scottish, and am not travelling nearly as far as that, but have long been an advocate of stopping in Bristol overnight on the Tuesday..

Leisurely train or slightly less leisurely coach down to Bristol on the Tuesday afternoon. Get a nice meal and a few drinks in a Bristol Pub and then sleep in a proper bed. Premier Inn have 2 hotels literally next door to Bristol Coach Station, so you can get up at a sane time and within half an hour be on an early doors National Express coach to the site. Arrive around or even before gates open, nice and fresh unlike the crazy folk who've been parked up since the previous evening.

Adds a small bit of cost overall, but for me it's worth it. Can also do it on the way back if you really want to break things up.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, incident said:

I'm not Scottish, and am not travelling nearly as far as that, but have long been an advocate of stopping in Bristol overnight on the Tuesday..

Leisurely train or slightly less leisurely coach down to Bristol on the Tuesday afternoon. Get a nice meal and a few drinks in a Bristol Pub and then sleep in a proper bed. Premier Inn have 2 hotels literally next door to Bristol Coach Station, so you can get up at a sane time and within half an hour be on an early doors National Express coach to the site. Arrive around or even before gates open, nice and fresh unlike the crazy folk who've been parked up since the previous evening.

Adds a small bit of cost overall, but for me it's worth it. Can also do it on the way back if you really want to break things up.

I do think this sounds like a good option tbh. Could do some bonkers scenario whereby I get on a bus from Glasgow at 11pm and arrive at 9am, but I don't really wanna start Glastonbury feeling like death. Have a few friends in Bristol too so maybe one of them would like the amusement of the before and after Glastonbury experience delivered direct to their door. 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

found it ... just look on the lift share thread :) 

Aaaah cool, thanks! Will do :) Might be nice to have some like-minded companions for the journey!

On 2/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, incident said:

I'm seriously considering this as hadn't thoughy of it before - do you have any recommendations on the best time to catch the bus to site, i.e. if looking to have a decent pick of field options? I assume the buses have their own entrance, is it better than driving in for example? Easy to get off site again on the Monday?

In terms of getting to site - whatever timing makes sense for you is the right answer. I'm getting a 7am coach, so should get to the site by about half 8, at which point the gates will have been open an hour or two and the queue to get in should be minimal, but I'll be camped somewhere that won't fill up until much later than that so have no pressure arriving. There's much earlier options than that if you're desperate to get a prime spot - the 4am coach from Bristol should put you near the front of the queue and through the gate before the majority of the people who've been parked up since some point on Tuesday.

The Coach Station is at Gate A, and historically they've tried to clear the queue from the bus station as quickly as possible, sometimes prioritising it ahead of the queues from the car parks, so I've never experienced any significant delays - the biggest was in 2017 with the "increased security", arrived about half 9 and had about a 45 minute queue to get in.

Thanks @incident, that's super helpful. I usually go for Big Ground or Kidney Mead and was thinking around 7am might work. Don't want to start the Wednesday too early with all the fun that will follow! I guess it's a longer walk to there from Gate A, although I know the drive in (admittedly last time I did it was in 2016 when we ended up playing cricket / keepy uppies on the A37 the traffic was that standstill) can often be hectic. I'm not sure if the traffic is generally any better approaching the G from the North and then entering West? Either way, definitely worth a consideration and will put this to my mate and gauge his interest. Thanks again!

I bought one of those £2.49 Quecha back packs from Decathlon, in black (the black one I used to have I lost on the way to Glastonbury in 2017. It was empty and somehow slipped out of my ruck sack!). They are sturdy little things, surprisingly roomy and are a great non obtrusive day bag. A real bargain!

• Upvote 1

I found out a provisional (and definitely subject to change) date for my new job and thus a move to Glasgow - starting on the 3rd June. As a result I spent three hours this morning making a spreadsheet of all the weird and wonderful mixture of ways I could get to Glasto. Flying obvs quicker but much more expensive when factor in two hold bags (a bag and a tent) plus the transfer to the festival on national express. Fortunately, I do very much enjoy making a Glastonbury related spreadsheet.....any excuse will do :lol: