What have you done today to get ready for Glastonbury 2019?

Jne___

2 hours ago, battleborn said:

Drafted the annual protest let to Somerset Council to ensure that your 5 days of crap music are thwarted for obvious public order and safety reasons, as well as for environmental protections. If public action can force Wireless to be nice and middle class I'm sure it can get Glastonbury abandoned.

Haters gonna hate.

8 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Just found out the Mrs is pregnant with our first child. Obviously that's great.

We won't know the exact due date for another 12 weeks or so.

We've tried to work it out, and depending on the length of the pregnancy, it could be anything between 24th June - 15th July.

If the due date is before the start of July, obviously I can't go to GF (I have a ticket).

It's my brother and best mates 1st one, and will/would be my 5th.

Pretty fucking numb with a range of emotions if I'm honest. My mrs is amazing and understands how much GF means to me, and fully wants me to still go if the due date is July.

I can picture it right now. I'm in the queue, and I get the phone call. 

Congratulations, that’s great news, really happy for ya.

Don’t bank on the due date being accurate though. 

3 hours ago, Woffy said:

Congrats to you and the missus Stokesy!

As someone with loads of kids and who has been to Glastonbury loads of times (both with and without the children) I should probably have some sort of meaningful and useful advice for you.

Alas, I’m fucking useless and have none.

But best of luck dude. X

Thanks Woffage. I knew I could count on you for the sound advice ?

All the best.

3 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Congratulations Stokesy! The deal breaker for me if I was a pregnant/new mum would be how far do you have to travel to get to me/hospital?  Who else is there to support me? Realistically the baby could come anywhere between 36 and 42 weeks and you’ll both be on pins. Please (especially as it’s your first) don’t underestimate the physical/emotional impact on both of you. This baby is a big deal and a unique experience. As much as I adore it, Glastonbury is just a festival. How would you feel if your phone signal dropped and you missed an emergency? How you both feel now may not be how you both feel at 36 weeks... x

Thank you for the advice and it really is good advice. We'll have a good chat about it, she'll certainly have tonnes and tonnes of support at the time, we're very lucky with loving close family in close proximity. The good thing is I have til April to think about it and analyse the situation and a lot of it hinges on the dye date. Lots if factors to consider.

Thanks again x

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Congratulations, that’s great news, really happy for ya.

Don’t bank on the due date being accurate though. 

Thank you. I know - If it's too close for comfort (e.g. the Tuesday after GF) I work risk it. But if it's the 8th onwards... I will probably gamble.

21 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Thank you. I know - If it's too close for comfort (e.g. the Tuesday after GF) I work risk it. But if it's the 8th onwards... I will probably gamble.

Apparently more likely to be late than early, our little one was 12 days late.

ps got a few Baggies Baby outfits I can send you ;)

56 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Thanks Woffage. I knew I could count on you for the sound advice ?

All the best.

How about this:

By 2021/2022 you will know all the words to most songs from at least half the Disney films.

You will also enjoy them.

Even the Little Mermaid, which is crap.

Moana is fucking amazing. 

So is Tangled.

So is Coco.

Hey Duggee is the fucking dog bollocks. Although I was mildly disappointed to discover its American.

Ti and Mo is sound. And the song makes me cry.

ITV kids TV sucks. (And that includes Paw Patrol. Fucking preposterous notion). It’s of a similar standard as their football coverage.

Two year olds can get addicted to Spongebob. Beware. It wears thin v.quickly.

Little kids will not always like ‘your’ music. They’re idiots like that sometimes. 

Do not let relatives who swear a lot babysit. It’s funny when they’re 18 months old, fall over and say ‘shit’ in context once. But not on repeat in the supermarket aisle at full volume.

DO NOT let them see you buy booze. EVER. Although you buy other things when shopping they for some reason only remember you buying wine. And will tell everyone. A lot.

Toy adverts start to register with them at about 2 years old.

Try to impress upon them the importance of respecting the clocks going back with regards to that extra hour in bed on the Sunday.

Invoking Father Christmas as some sort of behavioural threat is pointless. As soon as they understand the whole Santa concept yer fucked. 

Hats are an essential aid to not being able to do plaits or get a pony tail centralised on the back of the head properly. But this skill will come with time.

Set aside at least an hour as ‘leaving the house prep time’. 

Get nappies and wipes wherever they’re on offer. Or Aldi. Pampers are a con / rip off.

Go to all the ante-natal classes even though they are horrific and cringeworthy and you will want to stab yourself in the eye hole listening to that one couple bore everyone yet again about how they already knows everything despite this being their first child and the ‘lads lads lads not yet dads’ making crap jokes about everything.

If we had to wear pyjamas bottoms so small for us as little kids way back when that they looked like pedal pushers, so can they.

Remember at ALL TIMES how completely fucking incredible your missus is. We men simply could not do what women do / have to go through even if we were biologically able. 

When playing Swingball remember that the ball dangles at about the height of a toddlers face. Failure to bear this in mind can suddenly ruin a barbecue.

And finally don’t take ANY advice from anyone who is NOT a qualified health / medical practitioner. It’s boring, probably completely wrong, usually irrelevant / out of date and will be completely inapplicable to you.

Especially all the above. 

You’re gonna love it and you’ll all be ace. 

Edited by Woffy
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Woffy said:

How about this:

By 2021/2022 you will know all the words to most songs from at least half the Disney films.

So is Tangled.

So is Coco.

Hey Duggee is the fucking dog bollocks. Although I was mildly disappointed to discover its American.

ITV kids TV sucks. (And that includes Paw Patrol. Fucking preposterous notion). It’s of a similar standard as their football coverage.

Little kids will not always like ‘your’ music. They’re idiots like that sometimes. 

Do not let relatives who swear a lot babysit. It’s funny when they’re 18 months old, fall over and say ‘shit’ in context once. But not on repeat in the supermarket aisle at full volume.

DO NOT let them see you buy booze. EVER. Although you buy other things when shopping they for some reason only remember you buying wine. And will tell everyone. A lot.

Try to impress upon them the importance of respecting the clocks going back with regards to that extra hour in bed on the Sunday.

Invoking Father Christmas as some sort of behavioural threat is pointless. As soon as they understand the whole Santa concept yer fucked. 

Hats are an essential aid to not being able to do plaits or get a pony tail centralised on the back of the head properly. But this skill will come with time.

Get nappies and wipes wherever they’re on offer. Or Aldi. Pampers are a con / rip off.

Go to all the ante-natal classes even though they are horrific and cringeworthy and you will want to stab yourself in the eye hole listening to that one couple bore everyone yet again about how they already knows everything despite this being their first child and the ‘lads lads lads not yet dads’ making crap jokes about everything.

If we had to wear pyjamas bottoms so small for us as little kids way back when that they looked like pedal pushers, so can they.

Remember at ALL TIMES how completely fucking incredible your missus is. We men simply could not do what women do / have to go through even if we were biologically able. 

When playing Swingball remember that the ball dangles at about the height of a toddlers face. Failure to bear this in mind can suddenly ruin a barbecue.

And finally don’t take ANY advice from anyone who is NOT a qualified health / medical practitioner. It’s boring, probably completely wrong, usually irrelevant / out of date and will be completely inapplicable to you.

And you'll find it difficult to believe at times, but eventually they do grow up.  And can buy you alcohol.  And act as YOUR taxi driver.  My daughter even got a job at Glastonbury, put my tent up AND filled it with beer for me in advance of me getting there.

9 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

And you'll find it difficult to believe at times, but eventually they do grow up.  And can buy you alcohol.  And act as YOUR taxi driver.  My daughter even got a job at Glastonbury, put my tent up AND filled it with beer for me in advance of me getting there.

Whereas my eldest is poncing around on a yacht somewhere in the Indian Ocean. 

Im doing it all wrong!

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

Apparently more likely to be late than early, our little one was 12 days late.

ps got a few Baggies Baby outfits I can send you ;)

Yeh I've heard/read a lot about this first baby being usually late business. Our latest prediction is 6th July at earliest, based on a few calculations and bits of reading we've done, we'll see.

I'll let the B*ggies comment slip cos you're a good guy really...?

Her Dad is a big Man Utd fan (nicest, softest gent on earth) and a year or so ago he asked in passing if my child would support Wolves or UTD. I didn't even answer the question. He knew the answer from my passive aggressive grin and laughter. I feel for him a little as he has two daughters who don't care about football, and twin grandchildren who will be Chelsea fans. More chance of getting shit out of a rocking horse than my little on not falling in love with the mighty Wanderers. All I need to do is follow the method my father did. I've had 25 years of mostly disappointment but I still bleed gold and black :)

5 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Yeh I've heard/read a lot about this first baby being usually late business. Our latest prediction is 6th July at earliest, based on a few calculations and bits of reading we've done, we'll see.

Her Dad is a big Man Utd fan (nicest, softest gent on earth) and a year or so ago he asked in passing if my child would support Wolves or UTD. I didn't even answer the question. He knew the answer from my passive aggressive grin and laughter. I feel for him a little as he has two daughters who don't care about football, and twin grandchildren who will be Chelsea fans. More chance of getting shit out of a rocking horse than my little on not falling in love with the mighty Wanderers. All I need to do is follow the method my father did. I've had 25 years of mostly disappointment but I still bleed gold and black :)

My missus is kiwi so I get the father in law buying our girl lots of All Blacks stuff. Straight in the back of the drawer with that egg chasing nonsense ;)

Your lot have started well enough though, here’s hoping for some derbies next season :)

55 minutes ago, Woffy said:

How about this:

So is Tangled.

So is Coco.

You know what you sound like Woffs? A bloody damn good father :)

I'm so lucky to have a giant group of mates and many of which have kids already - you sound like one of those who've already drummed some of this into me!

Even though I'm the ripe young age of 32 (I still feel 21... help me), I am a mega purist when it comes to film and football. So although I concede I'll be watching some trash on tv to appease their needs, I WILL be doing my best to introduce them to Lion King, Alladin etc. 

Already told the wonderful Mrs that I'll be playing music to her belly asap. She's not as passionate as me about bands/artists but knows that's exactly what I'll be doing and laughs at me about my music obsession. My dad is an incredible music influence on me and my brother. We've realised it much more in the last 5 years or so. But that's what I'm looking forward to the most. 

Sorry for rambling, I've had a couple of ales tonight with the family.

Thank you again for the kind words. I've only been able to tell my closest mates and family about today's news for obvious reasons, but it's been nice for me putting it on here. Bless you all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

My missus is kiwi so I get the father in law buying our girl lots of All Blacks stuff. Straight in the back of the drawer with that egg chasing nonsense ;)

Your lot have started well enough though, here’s hoping for some derbies next season :)

You'll be back up. It has to happen. Two traditional, original clubs back in their rightful leagues.

Bloody egg chasing. I went to Worcs Uni mate. Egg chasing central. My god.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Whereas my eldest is poncing around on a yacht somewhere in the Indian Ocean. 

Im doing it all wrong!

Or doing it all right if she's off having the time of her life :) people who have the confidence and nouse to go off and do that kind of thing is a good reflection on parents, a lot of the time.

7 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

Yeah, if you raise them right, they'll never actually need to make a decision about the football club they support. My son was indoctrinated to be a Luton fan from birth. Had a season ticket since he was 4. To be fair, I did feel a bit sorry for him for lumbering him with us when we were floundering in the Conference (especially as we don't live particularly near Luton anymore), but he's had his rewards for putting up with all that rubbish the last few years!

On 10/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, eFestivals said:

Limited Time Offer!

An Extra 20% Off* All Sale Lines

Use Code: SALE20

Valid from 22.10.18 – 31.10.18.

(Excludes Mega Buys, Multi-Buys, Garmin, Polar, Suunto, Go Pro, Tom Tom, Biolite, price match, gift cards)

Terms: https://www.millets.co.uk/sale20-terms

Cheers for link bagged a few tents for 3 of our lot ,offer extended to 4/11/18 now

On 10/28/2018 at 10:43 PM, Flysheet said:

We come from Saddleworth, in 16 stayed at Wookey Hole, up and at em at 4am, hit a queue at Shepton at 5.30, me and my lad walked it with tents from Cannards Grave to Gate C at 7.30 at got there at 9 with zero queues to get in Cockmill. Bear in mind queues that year were horrendous due to ground conditions. 

In 17 stayed south east of site, up at 4, car parked and hoofed it a mile to join Gate C queue by 5.30 and got in at 9.30! It was roasting by 6am.

We’re in WV this year, although still staying nearby so we can travel down Tuesday pm, get a good meal, a nights sleep, shower and breakfast ?

On 10/29/2018 at 12:03 PM, RichardWaller said:

Never done it before myself but coming down from Manchester too and provisionally booked a hotel in Taunton for the Tuesday in the hope that the majority of traffic will be coming from the north and east while we come from the south west.. Be great to be able to have a relative lie in and last minute shower and ideally be on site by dinner time... @crazyfool1 dropped us a pm the other day about this and can advise better than me anyway.

Thanks both for responding. Sorry for being a bit tardy in response. Yeah I realise it doesn’t necessarily get you in any earlier or miss the queues but it does allow you a better kip on the Tuesday.  Getting up at 2am and the a 4-5 hour drive and the queue for 2+ hours is not a great way to start the festival. Although have been doing it since 2009. ?. Absolutely spangled by 6pm Wednesday. Cheers

• Upvote 1

next year will be my first time in 7 festivals i've needed to find a pitch for my tent (camp light not being there) 

Also taking 2 Glasto virgins who don't appreciate the carnage of the queue and the scramble for the spot!

So this week i've been trying my best to educate them on the need for a silly O'Clock start from Liverpool (2am approx.) on the Wednesday  or to spend the extra and spend the night somewhere clsoe by on the Tuesday night.

They still believe that they can just turn up, walk in and put the tent up! :laugh: