Interesting that there’s not much discussion of Ed Sheeran

Homersexual

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went along to see him, cos my wife wanted to. I had no idea what to expect, I'd never encountered his music before. And you know what, itwas alright. Not the best thing I've ever seen but I wasn't actively bored by it. Which is all I really ask, really.

I lasted the whole set (well, had a quick break midway through to get some food), but for me, far more entertaining than the little bit I saw of the chugalongafoos.

17 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Foo Fighters and Radiohead don't have much in the way of pizzazz either, if we're at it. Granted the former have some energy, but they're still a basic meat and potatoes proposition.  If anything, Sheeran's more formally inventive than they are.

FooFighters had a band, loved the drummer doing queen and a big firework display at the end ...

10 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

I went to the Arcadia sunset show as I've seen him at glasto before. Personally I don't see him as a headline act 

He's pretty much the biggest thing in the world right now, how on earth is he not a headline act? Liking him or not is one thing, but it's pretty difficult to argue that he shouldn't be headlining the Pyramid.

Good god, Give me Sheeran's stuff over 3 interminable hours of Grohl shouting 'do you want to fucking rock and roll?'

We fell asleep on Saturday evening, went back to the tent after Katy Perry, to put some warmer clothes on, get some booze etc. Unfortunately fell asleep and missed Stormzy, one of the acts I really wanted to see. Never mind.

Anyway, we woke up in our tent on Hitchin Hill to hear DG indistinctinly, his occasional between song exhortations drifting across the site to our campsite. Got up, got dressed, walked down through the woods, got a coffee, watched the start of Phoenix, walked through the Other and saw some of Alt-J, crossed over to West Holts for some food and caught a bot of the Jacksons. Then on to Williams Green for a drink and some more food. Heading back to the tent having done a loop of much of the site and caught three headliners, we walked up through Kidney Mead only to find ourselves face to face with Dave Grohl still wittering on about 'fucking rock and roll'.

It was the musical equivalent of 'strong and stable'.

I'm one of the few Ed Sheeran fans here on this forum. Personally I loved it.

I got the impression he cut the set short though, as if there was some bug finale planned that didn't happen! Infact didn't he even say he wasn't originally intending on closing with the song he closed with? Plus the set seemed really short!

I've seen some articles slating him and a load of comments. I don't really get it. I'm not a big fan but his music isn't that bad. My wife wanted to go see him, so we did. It was an ok set. Some really good parts and some meh.. There are plenty of artists on over the weekend that I didn't see the appeal of, many others did, they went and watched them and I didn't. I don't really feel compelled to go and complain about them. What I would say is fair fecks to the lad being on stage solo with such a large crowd and knowing how negative many were towards him headlining.

Edited by chrismcb

I think my dislike of him is much because of overhype and overplaying of his music, literally at one point how many of his singles were in the charts? you could listen to radio turn on the tv without hearing/seeing him for months.

Hell even bands im a fan of id quickly grow tired of their stuff If it was shoved in my face endlessy for months everytime i turned on the tv/radio let alone ed sheeran! a classic example of `to much to quickly` but then thats the state of the music industry today isnt it? 

4 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

I think my dislike of him is much because of overhype and overplaying of his music, literally at one point how many of his singles were in the charts? you could listen to radio turn on the tv without hearing/seeing him for months.

Hell even bands im a fan of id quickly grow tired of their stuff If it was shoved in my face endlessy for months everytime i turned on the tv/radio let alone ed sheeran! a classic example of `to much to quickly` but then thats the state of the music industry today isnt it? 

Well this is one point I do agree with. My wife had one of the music channels on in the house one day, nearly every song was him and it was just a Top 20 show or something like that. Get in the car and stick on the radio, there he is again!

Edited by chrismcb

23 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

The only discussion that needs to be had is that biffy should have headlined. With ed on before them

The bloke has sold out Wembley Stadium three nights running. On what planet would he accept a slot below Biffy Clyro?

50 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Headliner esp to close the fest should at least be something with a bit of bloody energy to get people moving.

Everyone was dancing and singing where I was stood. Looked like they were having the time of their lives. I would have been at Justice if mt brother hadn't want to see him, but I went along with an open mind and enjoyed it.