ZZ top 2016 pyramid

Elo 2016 pyramid 

Future islands 2017 John peel 

James 2016 other stage 

Goldfrapp 2017 John peel 

1 hour ago, SPTFRE said:

Sweet Jesus, that must have been fucking amazing

It was great, but flawed. Plus points:

* Dance Tent had multi-speaker surround system, used by great effect by the band.

* Heavy on Vanishing Point and Screamadelica - being in the dance tent.

* Ended with Rocks. Despite doing a dance set, they were rock'n'roll enough to give the whole crowd a big V sign and play something without any electronic sounds at all.

* If not Mani's actual live debut with the band, it was a very very early appearance. I'd certainly not heard him play with them before and was really curious on how he would sound. At the time, as a massive Rose fan, this was incredibly exciting.

* Just a great energy coming from the band. They were chaotic, but innovative.  Rock'n'roll musical explorers. There was such possibility in the air. As a 18 yr old old it was so exciting to hear them play.

* My first Saturday headliner at Glastonbury. Second ever headliner. 

The minuses:

* The layout of the Dance Tent was not really about the stage, so visibility of the band was poor, due to pillars.

* They interspersed (almost?) every song with a DJ, really breaking things up, even if it did give the sense that this was a different kind of gig.

* Stood in loads of mud.

* I missed Radiohead

I probably remembered most of this wrong. It's almost 21 years since the gig and about 19 years (?) since that Dance Tent existed. If anyone else was there, I'd be fascinated on your recollections.

It was the best gig of my first Glastonbury and I've been back once or twice since ;) so it must have done something right :D

16 was my favourite year. There was a blitz spirit going on with Brexit and the mudpocalypse both giving us their worst. The crowds were all pretty great, felt like everybody who turned up to a set was committed, 0% rubberneckers. The sets I saw were all a lot more varied across genre than most years. I didn't get the shits. And it was all topped off on Sunday night by one of my all time favourite bands triumphantly returning with a set better than I could've expected.

At CG points out, that Dakhabrakha set was one for the history books as well.

On 4/13/2018 at 5:52 PM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm fairly sure that Oasis and The Prodigy were on at the same time.....

give him a break, after all, The Edge said in 2010 he enjoyed catching Gorillaz and Broken Bells on the Friday night before his Sat cameo 

On 4/13/2018 at 6:27 PM, guypjfreak said:

Pil and Portishead in 13 

with all due respect to you guypj i think a lot on here had those two in '13 as 'worst' and 'best' of 2013 (Stones in it's own league of course)

(p.s. - i'm seeing Pearl Jam in Seattle this summer!)

It's been a strange few years, nothing really stands out as much as they did early on 

04 - orbital

05 chas and dave - Beautiful south both on in the acoustic tent amazing . not sure if they were on the same day .. it is all a blur..edit, just checked Chas and Dave Saturday Beautiful south were the Sunday 

09 - the Doves John Peel. I think it was 09 the year they broke up ... one of the best things ever.

then nothing really got me until 2018 ... West Holts Sunday night Moderat followed by Justice. so amazing 

18 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

16 was my favourite year. There was a blitz spirit going on with Brexit and the mudpocalypse both giving us their worst. The crowds were all pretty great, felt like everybody who turned up to a set was committed, 0% rubberneckers. The sets I saw were all a lot more varied across genre than most years. I didn't get the shits. And it was all topped off on Sunday night by one of my all time favourite bands triumphantly returning with a set better than I could've expected.

Yeah this was a pretty similar take to me. Dunno about ranking years cos they all have unique things that add to your whole Glastonbury history, but 2016 being so rainy and miserable and acts actually had to bring you out of a downbeat state rather than adding to your unbridled joy makes it a standout year. Particularly the finale - always helps to leave on a massive high.

I've only been to 16 and 17 but I'd say 17 was so much better.

Obviously I had a great time in 16 discovering the place for the first time, seeing LCD, Beck and Ronnie Spector but the mud really seemed to take a toll, it took a lot longer to get anywhere than last year meaning things were missed, some of the crowds seemed more muted etc. 17 just was infinitely more special and I can't quite put my finger on what it was.

Blur in 1998 were pretty fantastic, debuting a couple of tracks from the forthcoming 13. 
Bob Dylan was special but more the event than performance.  The other standout for me that year was Taj Mahal.
The Music stepping in for Zwan on the Pyramid in 2003 in the sunshine was pretty special.
Jimmy Cliff in 2003 on the Pyramid.
Orbital's last ever gig headlining the Other in 2004.
Television in the John Peel in 2004, or was it 2003, I forget.  
Brian Wilson in 2005.
Standing in knee deep mud to see John Fogerty in 2007 was far and away the highlight of that year for me.
Neil Young - Pyramid 2009 - sure the false ending to Rocking In The Free World is still echoing round the trees.
Toots & The Maytals - West Holts 2010 (so gutted they didn't get there on time last year)
Duane Eddy in 2011 - West Holts IIRC.  
Hacienda Classical last year.  

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Adele was the best thing about 2016, really enjoyed Beck too (shite crowd notwithstanding) and Art Garfunkel.

The rest was fairly “meh”.

How did i miss beck of my list fantastic set agree with you crowd were shite . Disappointed I missed art was to tired and lazy by Sunday to trudge through mud to acoustic . 

23 hours ago, crocodiles said:

Only been last 2 years so tough but

Radiohead 2017 pyramid

Coldplay 2016 pyramid

Killers 2017 John peel

Aurora 2016 John peel 

Muse 2016 pyramid

ZZ top 2016 pyramid

Elo 2016 pyramid 

Future islands 2017 John peel 

James 2016 other stage 

Goldfrapp 2017 John peel 

Add beck 2016 pyramid to near the top 

On 4/15/2018 at 3:59 PM, The Nal said:

There were a right few absolute gems in 2016. Kamasi Washington, Patti Griffin, ZZ Top, Ronnie Spector, St Paul and the Broken Bones, Art Garfunkel. Half of his set anyway. Great year. 

23 hours ago, Wooderson said:

16 was a turkey.

22 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah this was a pretty similar take to me. Dunno about ranking years cos they all have unique things that add to your whole Glastonbury history, but 2016 being so rainy and miserable and acts actually had to bring you out of a downbeat state rather than adding to your unbridled joy makes it a standout year. Particularly the finale - always helps to leave on a massive high.

Very much personal preference isn't it? Some [not me] may even consider 2016 a write-off given the weather, which made enjoying some sets difficult.

Lots to like about that year, but nothing that justifies inclusion in a 'best ever' sets list, for me. Foals, Vant and Band of Horses were probably my favourites from that year.

9 hours ago, tevaburger said:

with all due respect to you guypj i think a lot on here had those two in '13 as 'worst' and 'best' of 2013 (Stones in it's own league of course)

(p.s. - i'm seeing Pearl Jam in Seattle this summer!)

You bloody star.. Lucky star I'm sooooooo jealous that will be a fantastic gig in there home town.. 

I'm genuinely made up for you you will have a blast old son.... 

You doing London as well old son 

Edited by guypjfreak

On 15/04/2018 at 8:45 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm a bit late but you have a proper point there. Giving me flashbacks. One of my favourites.

Was working, so went with low expectations. Also petrified of using public transport to get there for the first time. And we all knew the site was a mud bath before we got there.

Got the train to the bus in London easily. Got my shifts. Reasonably easy job spot and only working night was for Adele. I had a "determined to enjoy this" vibe from then on.

I would have tried to swap shifts for Muse. They didn't disappoint (stage show directed by the same bloke who directed The Wall reboot). Matt Bellamy could do with learning some crowd banter though. They lost the crowd more than once. Then I found myself inside the big circle that had formed around the guy with a guy on his shoulders with a flare above his shoulders. It all felt a bit wicker man to me.

Not sure if you meant Coldplay or not by "favourite band triumphantly returning" :lol:.

By no means a band I would call myself "in to" but they made that field look the greatest I've ever seen it. I knew they had that tech and had imagined what it may look like, but to see it on such a grand scale? Better than I'd expected.

Then they brought out Barry Gibb. Now. I grew up with the album Saturday Night Fever.I could waffle on about why I love that album, but I'm waffling already.

Great Set is the point. Visual wise. Theatrical wise. Not just about the music.