Your Glastonbury Song 2017

Wakey321

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet Leaf of the North!

Finally got round to seeing Mik Artistik on my 6th visit to the farm.  Wednesday afternoon, in the sunshine at CN Bandstand, first crowd singalong of the weekend, a pocket full of straws, and a lovely chap wandering through the crowd spraying people with water to cool everyone down. Just encapsulated everything wonderful :)

Working the festival limited my time and energy so I ended up seeing acts that 'might be interesting' and were nearer rather than trekking across the site for stuff I already knew I liked.

I went to see The Mavericks because my Dad likes them! They were amazing! I danced barefoot in the acoustic tent right through their set - so 'Just want to Dance the Night Away' has become the tune I find myself humming and smiling and remembering Glastonbury!

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Sweet Leaf of the North!

Finally got round to seeing Mik Artistik on my 6th visit to the farm.  Wednesday afternoon, in the sunshine at CN Bandstand, first crowd singalong of the weekend, a pocket full of straws, and a lovely chap wandering through the crowd spraying people with water to cool everyone down. Just encapsulated everything wonderful :)

I saw him do it in Cabaret on the second set I saw of the weekend.  It had become one of those songs I really wanted to hear, I was disappointed when he didn't do it in at Gateway.  When he played it, I just swayed and grinned like an idiot whilst everyone else I was with sat and chatted!

On 6/28/2017 at 10:32 PM, JacquelineS said:

I would have to say Flaming Lips Do You Realize? A song I love but also one of the guys in the group near me was looking forward to it because "it is the best fucking song ever written" Everyone around me was so into it and despite all their antics, The Lips have created some of the greatest songs ever written. 

Also, I had a bit of a moment with the National when  it really hit me how great the poetry of their song writing is.

There is every chance that this was me, simply because that's something I can't help but say alot when FL are being mentioned...

Towards the left side of the stage, fairly close but far enough back that it wasn't stupidly busy? (We needed to have enough room for the group singalongs)

Justice - Love S.O.S

The xx - Loud Places  (Jamie xx cover)

Kano - T Shirt Weather in the Manor

Andy Paak - Luh You (hadn't heard that one before but what a get up)

Whitney - No Woman

Chic - I Want Your Love

1- Smile Like You Mean It by The Killers: The Killers used to be my absolute favourite band, and then I had a falling out with them when they played the final of X Factor a few years ago... But it all came back to me in that set, and I even ended up sat outside Hyde Park last night listening to them! This song in particular, as it always reminds me of my dad. We went to see them at Hyde Park in 2009, as my first gig since I saw Busted in 2003. Unfortunately, we had to leave before The Kooks, who were supporting, even finished their set, as we'd had some awful news back home and had to go right away. We, along with my mum and sister, went to V Festival that year to see them (and Oasis, who never showed up!) to make up for it. On the way there, in the car, we had this song on, and for some reason, my dad started singing along "Smiiiile like a penissss"... During the set at V, he actually started shouting it at the top of his voice while they played it as an acoustic version! To this day, he still sings along with that lyric, so this song was a very emotional one for me!

2- The 17th by Courteeners: Bit weird, as I'm not a massive Courteeners fan, and especially of this song. However, they were the 2nd to last act we saw over the weekend, and it was kinda poignant to hear the lyrics "Because we're having such a good time, we're having such a good time" at that point. I still think it would have made a great song for a montage of the weekend. Strange that Courteeners have been 2 of my most emotional moments at a gig, not just this year, but ever. Took my girlfriend to see them in Manchester, and seeing Liam Fray read 'The Bees Still Buzz' before they took to the stage really hit me. It made the attack on the MEN Arena much more real to me.

3- Rock 'n' Roll Star by Liam Gallagher: As I mentioned before, the only chance I ever had to see Oasis, they never turned up. I saw Beady Eye twice, and they were disappointing. I've seen Noel a few times, but it's not quite as I'd want an Oasis gig to feel. I saw Liam on his mini tour, but had to leave due to nearly fainting, so this was almost like the moment I waited for my whole life. All my friends that I knew at the festival came and we were at the barrier for about 4 hours, watching British Sea Power, Wild Beasts and Kaiser Chiefs. When Liam came on, he said "Rock'n'Roll Star!" and went straight into it. I haven't even watched it back in case it was total shit in reality, but it was one of the greatest live moments I've ever experienced for myself in my head, and I'm going to keep it just as a precious memory.

Finally getting over the Glasto blues so feeling in the right mindset to revisit it all now.

By a mile, the standout song for me was Jain - Paris. For context, she wrote it sat on her roof terrace in the days after the Bataclan attacks and reflecting on the lives cut short and what it meant for Paris, etc

I was in tears, the lyrics of the chorus did me.

"When I stand on your roof
I see all your light
All the stories you had"

No Reptiles - Everything Everything: When I found out they were playing I immediately wrote them off, given I presumed Williams Green would be a packed out sweat box. So glad my mate convinced me just to swing buy and see if we could slip in, was the moment I fully felt back home.

North Star - Future Islands: Oh Christ the whole set was awesome, best of the weekend by far for me, just staring down my row of mates with glaring huge smiles on all our faces.

To Love Somebody - Barry Gib: Dancing hand in hand with my girlfriend whilst I senrenated her (backing vocals provided by the gibster), was definitely one of my highlights of the weekend!

On 5/7/2017 at 0:29 PM, amfy said:

I went to see The Mavericks because my Dad likes them! They were amazing! I danced barefoot in the acoustic tent right through their set - so 'Just want to Dance the Night Away' has become the tune I find myself humming and smiling and remembering Glastonbury!

Avalon (is where they were on).

That is a great song alright.