NFR NFC - to tide you over the fallow year

fatyeti24

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

ooo thats exctiing, yes not ideal timing, but still exciting getting to try out sheddy mcshedface (interim name ), fingers crossed it all goes ok, and if not hey make sure you are within walkin distance of a pub for dinner and wrap up warm to sleep

ooo January in the Alps - lush lush lush - do you ski? I bloody love the Alps in the winter adn will be there for a week again next year throwing myself down a slope or two with little style !

No, can't ski. Went snowboarding for the day once in California when I was a lot younger but that's it. So I'll probably find a nice fire somewhere that serves mulled wine and @fatyeti24 can go up the slopes with his pals. I'm just excited for the road trip. Got a friend to stay at the house and look after the pooches for us. So far we're hoping to stop off at Canterbury, Bruges, Luxembourg City, Freiburg, Engelberg, Sauze D'oulx, then a friend is giving us deets for his familys place in Champagne and one or two stops still to work out. :D 

11 hours ago, H.M.V said:

No, can't ski. Went snowboarding for the day once in California when I was a lot younger but that's it. So I'll probably find a nice fire somewhere that serves mulled wine and @fatyeti24 can go up the slopes with his pals. I'm just excited for the road trip. Got a friend to stay at the house and look after the pooches for us. So far we're hoping to stop off at Canterbury, Bruges, Luxembourg City, Freiburg, Engelberg, Sauze D'oulx, then a friend is giving us deets for his familys place in Champagne and one or two stops still to work out. :D 

Oooooo that sounds like an amazing trip .... how bloody exciting 

Hello Lucy!! Apart from the plague, I hope you are keeping well pet. It's been a while!

H.M.V that road trip sounds bloody amazing!Exciting times ahead for you!

I personally have nothing really exciting happening in life at present. Working heaps to get my TOIL hours up for the summer. Mik Artistik is playing in Newcastle on Saturday and I can't go as i'm working... Now that I'm not happy about.

I hope the rest of you are good. I can't bloody wait for next year to arrive.

I have news and feel its time to share

So : 3 years ago I applied to paint the Glastonbury bins and didn;t get a place on the team, 2 years ago I applied and made the reserve list but by then I had a ticket, ferry booked etc and couldn;t commit if I had got a last minute reserve place, and well this year - yes I have a place to paint the binsl. I am so excited I could burst , literally burst and I've been dying to tell you all

Anyway I cried and sobbed  when I found out, which was a week before ticket day..... on ticket day I still went for a ticket ... for myself and friends (that didn;t get places  to paint)  and I was the lucky one that got rhough and got all our tickets .... I felt really really  bad getting myself a ticket when I have a bin painting place, but my dad is going through chemo and there is an chance that committing to 3 weeks onsite (2 weeks bin painting) may not be possible and I'd need to give my volunteer place to someone else,   but come April his chemo will hopefully be finished and he has a scan in two weeks time so we will have some idea of how he is doing -  and my actual ticket will go back in the pot for hopefully one of you lovelies to grab grab grab and I can fulfil my dream of helping to paint the bins, spend 2 weeks onsite beforehand and give something back to the festival.  I've not camped at the festival for 9 years so staff camping for 2 weeks is going to all be new to me , and I'm on a tent search :-)

That is all, but I wanted to share in this virtual world (I've not shared very far in my real world yet - apart from work to ask for the time off) =- can I take this moment to apologise for grabbing a ticket that I hopefully won't need, but I did it as an insurance policy (I feel bad even typing that) and I really really hope I can pop my ticket back in the pot for it to grabbed by someone who is desperate to go  

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Funkyfairy! said:

So : 3 years ago I applied to paint the Glastonbury bins and didn;t get a place on the team, 2 years ago I applied and made the reserve list but by then I had a ticket, ferry booked etc and couldn;t commit if I had got a last minute reserve place, and well this year - yes I have a place to paint the binsl. I am so excited I could burst , literally burst and I've been dying to tell you all

Anyway I cried and sobbed  when I found out, which was a week before ticket day..... on ticket day I still went for a ticket ... for myself and friends (that didn;t get places  to paint)  and I was the lucky one that got rhough and got all our tickets .... I felt really really  bad getting myself a ticket when I have a bin painting place, but my dad is going through chemo and there is an chance that committing to 3 weeks onsite (2 weeks bin painting) may not be possible and I'd need to give my volunteer place to someone else,   but come April his chemo will hopefully be finished and he has a scan in two weeks time so we will have some idea of how he is doing -  and my actual ticket will go back in the pot for hopefully one of you lovelies to grab grab grab and I can fulfil my dream of helping to paint the bins, spend 2 weeks onsite beforehand and give something back to the festival.  I've not camped at the festival for 9 years so staff camping for 2 weeks is going to all be new to me , and I'm on a tent search :-)

That is all, but I wanted to share in this virtual world (I've not shared very far in my real world yet - apart from work to ask for the time off) =- can I take this moment to apologise for grabbing a ticket that I hopefully won't need, but I did it as an insurance policy (I feel bad even typing that) and I really really hope I can pop my ticket back in the pot for it to grabbed by someone who is desperate to go  

Sorry to hear that your dad is having chemo. I hope everything turns out ok and you can paint your bins.

Last year was my first Glastonbury and I really loved the bins, there just wasn't enough of them.

2 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Sorry to hear that your dad is having chemo. I hope everything turns out ok and you can paint your bins.

Last year was my first Glastonbury and I really loved the bins, there just wasn't enough of them.

Aw thanks - there's 11-12K of them from what I've read - thats a lot of painting :-)

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Anyway I cried and sobbed  when I found out, which was a week before ticket day..... on ticket day I still went for a ticket ... for myself and friends (that didn;t get places  to paint)  and I was the lucky one that got rhough and got all our tickets .... I felt really really  bad getting myself a ticket when I have a bin painting place, but my dad is going through chemo and there is an chance that committing to 3 weeks onsite (2 weeks bin painting) may not be possible and I'd need to give my volunteer place to someone else,   but come April his chemo will hopefully be finished and he has a scan in two weeks time so we will have some idea of how he is doing -  and my actual ticket will go back in the pot for hopefully one of you lovelies to grab grab grab and I can fulfil my dream of helping to paint the bins, spend 2 weeks onsite beforehand and give something back to the festival.  I've not camped at the festival for 9 years so staff camping for 2 weeks is going to all be new to me , and I'm on a tent search ?

Great news on getting a bin slot Ff and I know where you’re coming from going for a general ticket but it’s not like it’s going to end up in the bin. If you don’t use it it will end up back in the resale pot for somebody off here hopefully so all good. 

Hope all goes well with your dad.

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

Lots going on there FF! Fingers crossed for your dad's recovery, congrats on getting a bin place, and I reckon you're ok to not feel bad about the ticket on the circumstances x

Thanks Quark

5 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Great news on getting a bin slot Ff and I know where you’re coming from going for a general ticket but it’s not like it’s going to end up in the bin. If you don’t use it it will end up back in the resale pot for somebody off here hopefully so all good. 

Hope all goes well with your dad.

Thanks MJ,  6 weeks ago it all felt too much of a risk not to get a ticket as we knew v little, and I applied to bin paint not really expecting to get a place (but really really wanting one) so it was all a bit of a shock, and yes of course everything being well my ticket will be back in the pot and soemone else can have it (hopefully from here). We have to confirm our bin painting places in January and if you don;t confirm then your place goes to a reserve list person .... at the moment I am still giddy with the thought of living at Glastonbury for over 3 weeks next June :-) and giving something back to the festival

3 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Aw thanks - there's 11-12K of them from what I've read - thats a lot of painting ?

I hope everything goes really well for your dad. Don't feel guilty about getting a ticket. Are you painting all those bins??

• Upvote 1

That's amazing FF about the bins but awful about your pops. Sounds positive if they reckon he will be finished his course by April. Absolutely delighted for you to get the place. And don't be silly feeling guilty about the tickets, it was absolutely the right thing to do at the time until you have all the information you need. 

Can't wait to hear all about it on the hill on the Tuesday. xxx

47 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

That's amazing FF about the bins but awful about your pops. Sounds positive if they reckon he will be finished his course by April. Absolutely delighted for you to get the place. And don't be silly feeling guilty about the tickets, it was absolutely the right thing to do at the time until you have all the information you need. 

Can't wait to hear all about it on the hill on the Tuesday. xxx

Thank you so much @H.M.V, was such a strange T day for me feeling elated that I'd got my buddies tickets but felt so guilty about grabin a ticket from the pot when I was hoping not to use it, and hence couldn;t  shout about bin painting before I got my head around it all

Pops is doing well, agressive blood cancer, but they are 'going for a full cure' = he's a strong old s0d and he taking the chemo well at the moment, so everything crossed - but also remaining pragmatic about a 76 year old going through the full dose of chemo that someone his age can take.  I'm lucky to still have both my parents around at this age so I count my lucky stars and he's remaining super postive so all good right now

On a positive note, my heart is a flutter at the thought of being at Glastonbury for 3.5 weeks - I really do need to NFR gods on my side, and will be sending  regular reports of under foot conditions from on site :-) . I really want to sit somewhere near a gate from inside as the gate open on Wednesday morning and see everyone flood in and the site fill up - and yes hill on Tuesday bring it on xxx

That's awesome @Funkyfairy!, and good luck and thoughts to your Dad. 

How are the designs for the bins chosen? 

I went to see The Prodigy again tonight, but had to leave early as there was a bit of a family crisis at home! 

Hope all is well with everyone.

@Funkyfairy! That is such brilliant news about the bin painting. I would love the chance to be part of the Glasto setup crew and get to live on site for a couple of weeks, bliss.

Sending best wishes to your Dad, chemo isn't easy (my brother went through it), hoping he is handling it OK.

9 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

That's awesome @Funkyfairy!, and good luck and thoughts to your Dad. 

How are the designs for the bins chosen? 

I went to see The Prodigy again tonight, but had to leave early as there was a bit of a family crisis at home! 

Hope all is well with everyone.

I've no idea how the designs are chosen :-), but I think there are a team of really great artists who do the amazing ones and the rest of us will be rubbing down the bins, undercoating and painting what we are told, simple , brights etc and it'll be flowers one day, stars another etc ready for the different areas but thats a total and utter guess and I'll find out in 7 months time :-)

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

@Funkyfairy! That is such brilliant news about the bin painting. I would love the chance to be part of the Glasto setup crew and get to live on site for a couple of weeks, bliss.

Sending best wishes to your Dad, chemo isn't easy (my brother went through it), hoping he is handling it OK.

I'm beside myself @Skoo, to live onsite, eat onsite and sleep onsite as it builds for a couple of weeks and be part of it is a dream come true

2 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I've no idea how the designs are chosen :-), but I think there are a team of really great artists who do the amazing ones and the rest of us will be rubbing down the bins, undercoating and painting what we are told, simple , brights etc and it'll be flowers one day, stars another etc ready for the different areas but thats a total and utter guess and I'll find out in 7 months time ?

I'm beside myself @Skoo, to live onsite, eat onsite and sleep onsite as it builds for a couple of weeks and be part of it is a dream come true

if i see one with a yeti painted on it i'll know my wish came true ;) 

Wow fantastic news @Funkyfairy! that is something I would love to do - just know I could never get the time off work and can't leave the kids for that long either - maybe when they are all grown up. Looking forward to hearing your reports from site in the build up.  Can the NFR group put in a few requests?

Sorry to hear about your dad and best wishes for you all going through this.

3 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

Wow fantastic news @Funkyfairy! that is something I would love to do - just know I could never get the time off work and can't leave the kids for that long either - maybe when they are all grown up. Looking forward to hearing your reports from site in the build up.  Can the NFR group put in a few requests?

Sorry to hear about your dad and best wishes for you all going through this.

Work have been totally and utterly amazing, I told my boss about applying and we have agreed that I'll log my extra hours from next year (I do them anyway) and I can take the 2 weeks (70 hours) as lieu days (and we don;t even really have a lieu day policy) - the festival obvisously as holiday but volunteering time for the 2 weeks as lieu days - so I'm super happy , and I don't have kiddies to miss. It is a massive committment for sure but I feel like I am doing this for me - totally and utterly outside of my comfort zone, but a dream since I first went to glastonbury, saw the bins and started to explore the possibility

3 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I expect to see a bin with a horse wearing a hat on it too.

SO demanding :) 

Oh blimey - I can seriously only paint flowers and butterflies and bunting - and maybe stars-and rainbows and clouds -  best I get practicing :-).