NFR NFC - to tide you over the fallow year

fatyeti24

8 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Ok @Funkyfairy! but there is a lot to cover...

The set up and staging is simply astounding. It is like an expansive, interactive version of the Shangra-La but across the entire site. There is always something going on. There was an ongoing story that we spent a day heavily involved in: we had to dance for pirates; tell a yarn to earn a yarn; perform for Boomtown dollars and retrieve the deeds to the city from a cowboy. We couldn't take the game any further as aspects had closed for the evening. The actors work throughout the day and are always in character. You can interact with them as little or as much as you want - they're pretty good at judging your reaction. 

Some of the small venues are amazing: Grandma's Living Room was a particular favourite (old couches, a back kitchen and a Grandma roaming around to drum and bass!). You can knock on doors and explore till your heart's content. 

The bigger stages are breath taking in their set up and output. Occasionally, there was issues with sound but nothing major. Bang Hai was one major display of lights! 

Musically, it is heavily dance orientated but there was enough diversity to keep me occupied and the aim of the festival seems to be one of exploration. 

I met a few people who'd gone alone (there's a dedicated Camp Solo) and were loving it. The crowds seemed to be fine, although I did seem a little older than a lot of people! I had no issues with security or anyone all weekend to be fair, and everyone seemed concentrated on having a good time! 

I would definitely recommend going at least once... just for the experience. I had a brilliant time, although musically it wasn't my usual choice. 

I have attached a few random photos too, but the majority are on my 'festival phone'!

IMG_20180812_202207644.jpg

IMG_20180812_203151256.jpg

IMG_20180811_215707281.jpg

IMG_20180812_225951_581.jpg

Screenshot_20180814-133745~2.png

Screenshot_20180814-133904~2.png

Screenshot_20180814-133848~2.png

Oh my goodness it looks and sounds out of this world. I’m not too keen on dancey trancey tunes, but love a poke around and the unusual ... you’ve made me even more keen to jump in and be brave next year, thank you for posting x

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh my goodness it looks and sounds out of this world. I’m not too keen on dancey trancey tunes, but love a poke around and the unusual ... you’ve made me even more keen to jump in and be brave next year, thank you for posting x

F'nar

8 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Now I have seen the tent maybe I can spot you. Me and Mrs C are going to BD as well. Volunteering with Oxfam - is that who Mr G is with? Either way it would be nice to put a face to an avatar over a beer!

am looking forward to BD for first time. Hopefully the shifts work for us - alongside the usual suspects I am mad keen to see Richard Thompson. He played down the road for us recently, I missed him, and apparently it (he) was outstanding. 

Cheers

I am indeed! See you in the oxfield later today. look out for an orange and grey 3 man tent, and come say hello! :)

It's my second time at BDs, last year was my first festival with Oxfam. Really enjoyed it, despite a fair bit of not dry stuff falling from the sky. Great mix of people, very friendly, and a nice size, too. Enough to choose from, but no 3 mile hikes to get between stages!

See you there!

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

I am indeed! See you in the oxfield later today. look out for an orange and grey 3 man tent, and come say hello! :)

It's my second time at BDs, last year was my first festival with Oxfam. Really enjoyed it, despite a fair bit of not dry stuff falling from the sky. Great mix of people, very friendly, and a nice size, too. Enough to choose from, but no 3 mile hikes to get between stages!

See you there!

Good news. Will do. Not sure what tent we will have as we are meeting a friend there who we are sharing with and first one who arrives gets to put the tent up. And her partner is going as a punter so I might be kipping in the main campsite with him. Complicated ?. But look forward to catching up. Cheers

ps so look out for a grey haired bloke with two women, one loud and blonde and one quiet(ish) and dark haired. 

Edited by chuckles07
Added
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

Now I have seen the tent maybe I can spot you. Me and Mrs C are going to BD as well. Volunteering with Oxfam - is that who Mr G is with? Either way it would be nice to put a face to an avatar over a beer!

am looking forward to BD for first time. Hopefully the shifts work for us - alongside the usual suspects I am mad keen to see Richard Thompson. He played down the road for us recently, I missed him, and apparently it (he) was outstanding. 

Cheers

Sounds like a plan.  I've got to dig out my trusty festival brick phone tonight, then I'll PM my number over to you, Gumby and @Michaels denim shorts and we can see about a beer or seven :)

• Upvote 1

@fatyeti24  and @H.M.V, watched you both on the telly last night...I was dead proud!! It was great how they kept going back to you throughout the programme, it was like it was your own show! :D I think they should commission a series just to follow your exploits as you get your place up and running - is the swimming pool working yet? I was particularly impressed Joyce, with your long and detailed conversations without expletives!! You really worked hard on that!! :D

Well done both of you...quality telly!

Trev xx

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pear_Cider said:

@fatyeti24  and @H.M.V, watched you both on the telly last night...I was dead proud!! It was great how they kept going back to you throughout the programme, it was like it was your own show! :D I think they should commission a series just to follow your exploits as you get your place up and running - is the swimming pool working yet? I was particularly impressed Joyce, with your long and detailed conversations without expletives!! You really worked hard on that!! :D

Well done both of you...quality telly!

Trev xx

Yes the swimming pool works now and has peggy the pegasus for our guests to float around on. 

I had to cut a lot in order to make sure there were no expletives. Hard work i tells ya. ?

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 3:10 PM, H.M.V said:

So we're gonna be on the tellybox tonight. :O Not sure if we're only on for a minute or not. No idea of the final edit or if we come across like idiots. Before you ask, no there was no swearing. Well not on camera. Sitting around drinking brews maybe, maybe a lot. But self restraint when the camera was on me. :D 

Watched the show last night. I thought that you both came across really well - almost like normal people. The house looks fantastic. After such a huge career change I really hope that the business goes well; the programme can only have helped and it will be interesting to see if it has generated bookings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I think I've managed to get all my work done (apart from stuff that can wait until next week) - bugger, just remembered, 1 more email to do!!

Anyway, off to Green Man tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

All you people off to Beautiful Days, have a great time (it's on my list for next year).

2 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

To all you lucky bunnies heading out to festivals this weekend, have a great time and be safe,

FFx

Thanks guys, enjoy Green Man!  And I'll provide a report on the tent next week FF :) 

I haven't seen it yet! I'll look for it in the next few days. 

Being back at work is weird after a festival isn't it! I thoroughly loved Boomtown, my second one and much better than last year. I walked miles, danced loads, got lost, found new things, had some extra lovely moments with some very good friends (including our very own Ben and my wonderful friend @Wellyboot), saw loads more than last year, had excellent camp neighbours, and generally had a great time! Very pleased to be able to help out @FuzzyDunlop in his hour of need too! 

I do find a good festival helps to reset oneself. There's nothing quite like being in a fun filled field with your mates! 

• Upvote 1