The Atmosphere at Stages

FuzzyDunlop

We all commented how good the atmosphere was this year. Even early Sunday morning, the House Gospel Choir had a great atmosphere at the WH.

Fatboy Slim on Saturday night had one of the best atmosphere's I have ever been at ever.

The atmosphere at Chic was something else. For Let's Dance it was a sea of hands from where I was.

Nothing tops the Killers for me at probably any festival I've been at ever. The crowd's singing was louder than Brandon's vocals. Obviously heightened by being in a tent but it was nuts.

Mike Skinner in the Rumshack too, and Stormzy on the Other.

Edited by rpfranks

Yeah was great this year, was part of a fantastic crowd at Justice, The XX, Radiohead, The Killers and Stormzy in particular. 

Stormzy got one of the best receptions I've seen when he started to talk about the victims of The Grenfall fire and was also hyping up J-Corbz. 

Definitely not what most answers in this thread will be like, but..

Did you see Kate Tempest?  She had people in tears. Anger. Rage. And absolute fucking joy that we have someone capable of articulating the state of the nation so perfectly. 

If you haven't seen it, go and watch it. 

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

Definitely not what most answers in this thread will be like, but..

Did you see Kate Tempest?  She had people in tears. Anger. Rage. And absolute fucking joy that we have someone capable of articulating the state of the nation so perfectly. 

If you haven't seen it, go and watch it. 

Really wanted to catch her but couldn't due to a clash. Will definitely see her at Green Man though. 

8 hours ago, rpfranks said:

Nothing tops the Killers for me at probably any festival I've been at ever. The crowd's singing was louder than Brandon's vocals. Obviously heightened by being in a tent but it was nuts.

Same for me. Amazing few hours in there. So drained after Gizz/Frank/Killers. Looks even better on iplayer. 

Edited by Bonaneas

Never not been to WH where it wasn't a great atmosphere TBF. No matter who's playing. Perfect layout, feels closed in and always busy up the sides with food and brothers etc. And it's central in the site so never empty. Shame I'm not over keen on a lot of music on there but I've never been dissapointed. 

JP tent always a favourite of mine. Sunday was in there from October Drift to see Sundara Karma and stayed through to the Killers, then needed a break!

I love Williams Green as well.  The best atmosphere for me on the weekend was Everything Everything in Williams Green on Thursday night, it was bonkers. 

The Park and John Peel stood out to me this year for great atmosphere. I saw most of the best sets at the Pyramid but was often a little frustrated with the crowds for certain sets, whereas The Park and John Peel were continuously a joy to be at (probably due to them not being ridiculously crowded or full of people waiting for the next act like the Pyramid often was).

A few thoughts from my first year.

West Holts

Only saw one thing at west holts but really liked the location and the "feel" of it. Amazing atmosphere, but it was sunset and moderat so may explain a few things. felt nicely contained, a bit like a traditional football stadium.

Park

Really enjoyed this "area" of the festival and again wish it had catered more to my tastes musicwise throughout the festival. A good vibe there and seemed to be something for everyone, be it the park stage, Stonebridge, or just heading up to the sign. Watched second half of Kano's set here and crowd was very involved. The lit torches are a great touch in the evening too.

Other

Saw quite a bit on here over the course of the festival (Whitney, LG, Glass Animals, British sea Power, etc) and I just couldn't take to it at all. Enjoyed the respective sets in their own right but the stage did little for me. Seemed like a place where people would pass by and watch casually, or just while they're having lunch, rather than feel like you were standing next to fans of the music. 

Didn't get a "feel" for it, I could have been anywhere. Didn't feel unique or special. 

Pyramid

Spent a fair bit of time here over the weekend by luck of the draw. (First Aid Kit, Xx, Radiohead, Craig David, JC/RTJ, National, Chic) and loved all of the performances, each one bringing a different crowd. Craig David was just such honest fun, felt very refreshing. Everyone into it. Chic very similar. The worst pyramid experience I had was for one of my must sees, The National. Terrible placement to be fair, but the fucking foo's fans singing "best of you" or whatever it is while the National were playing was downright rude and really pissed me off.

In future years I hope to gravitate away from pyramid and explore the different stages a little.

JP

Saw a few really good bands in here, notably Phoenix and Black Honey. Seemed like a pretty solid atmosphere in there and always felt like I was around "fans" which definitely adds to the experience. Just watched Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes back on iPlayer and that looked brilliant! Gutted to have missed that.

Of the other bits, I wanted to spend more time in glade than I did but seemed lively and an enthusiastic crowd. Beat hotel was a bit posey but generally good fun. Stonebridge seemed to hold a much more engaged audience, had a Great time in there for Eats Everything on Thursday and Kurupt FM whenever that was...

Block 9 - managed to squeeze into NYCDownlow a few times and was interesting . Would have liked to see one of my must see's in there but it never panned out. Annoyingly on Wednesday I was getting settled for a stint in there as they lost all power with no idea how long it would take to get going again I gave up. 

Being a bit of a wanderer I kept getting waylayed and missed out on a lot at genosys that I'd earmarked. Big shame as all the reports in the dance thread seem to point towards some brilliant sets and a very engaged crowd.

never saw a set or metamorphosis at Arcadia which is a shame. Something for next time. 

Also, considering I camped in pylon, I didn't see anything at the blues or wow, and only caught (the brilliant) King Kong kompany in sonic on Sunday morning/afternoon. Probably should have tried to see more in there as it was part of my daily commute.

spent the final night up at the crows nest which was a fitting way to end an amazing 5 days. Also, to find a dj set by jagwar ma at about 02:30 was a lovely little treat to sign off on. Great vibe in there and plenty still bopping along until the early hours, notably a certain glass animals front man who looked like he was having as good a time as the rest of us.

Anyway, ramble over. To summarise, I liked it all, a lot! Plenty more to go sink my teeth into in 2019 if I'm lucky enough to get another crack at it.

Edited by Eyebrow

Agree that overall atmosphere excellent this year which was helped by so many good sets and also the good weather of course, but not sure anything will live up to the Hot Chip/Chemical Brothers in 2015. 

My only atmos issue was during Biffy this year. We were next to the sound desk and there were people sitting in chairs clearly just waiting for Ed. Which I expected further back, but not right next to the desk. Was lucky we had a large group of us who all loved the biff, so we kind of made an atmosphere

6 hours ago, Tyonks said:

Agree that overall atmosphere excellent this year which was helped by so many good sets and also the good weather of course, but not sure anything will live up to the Hot Chip/Chemical Brothers in 2015. 

Did you watch Caribou before HC? That run on Friday in 2015 was joyous. 

John Peel had an amazing crowd all day Sunday then The Killers just blew the roof off the tent.

I know a lot of people didn't have a great experience at Radiohead but where I was stood everyone was loving it, but also definitely under the influence of certain substances

On 28/06/2017 at 2:00 PM, rpfranks said:

Agree with this. The atmosphere at the Killers was incredible. I've still got ringing in my ears from the noise the crowd made.

On 03/07/2017 at 9:20 AM, nikkic said:

Did you watch Caribou before HC? That run on Friday in 2015 was joyous. 

I didn't! Opted for Libertines instead who were ok but definitely should've gone for Caribou instead. 

Great year, nearly everyone I saw had a great atmosphere. JP tent on Friday was brilliant, future islands was great. Chic was one of the best sets I've ever seen at the farm, everyone up for it and so many singalongs. And then Justice on Sunday night was incredible, still smiling now thinking about it. Oh yeah, the crowd for Liam wasn't bad either, proper piss up. Like I've already said, great year