Suicide Tuesday

Bonaneas

First step today in reshaping my life post Glastonbury ... writing my stepping down letter .. so I can get some fixed hours back ... any experts on employment law on here ? I want to step down from supervisor but want to keep current contracted full time hours ... the company have said they are only able to offer contracts that are currently available so lots less hours . But it's daft because overtime always available . But as I'm going to want a mortgage next year I would like to remain contracted 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

It's lots of things. The built up, the drink, the drug comedowns, the overload of the senses, but mostly it's the human connections. I did a degree in human evolution 6 years ago and nearly wrote my dissertation on the subject, the link between being constantly surrounded by human voices and chat and social bonding, and how that drove brain expansion and our evolution to what we are today. Take that away then our serotonin drops rapidly and synapses stop flashing so we're left empty and depressed. We need to live together in large groups and tribes not on our own in flats and jobs where we speak to no one. Evolutionary Reality is what we experienced at Glasto, abnormality is everyday life in the divided world we live in everyday. Fuck that. 

This resonates with me.

Being at a festival makes me feel fully alive, regardless of no mirrors, no proper showers etc I could just settle into that lifestyle quite easily. I didn't miss any aspect of the "outside world" one bit - the cancelled train first thing this morning and pissing rain brought me back down to earth!

My blues are always bad after Bestival but this was my first Glasto and I can confirm Glasto blues are much worse, maybe it's because it's a 5 day getaway on top of it being an unbelievable place to live for a short while.

No fallow year would make me feel somewhat better...

Definitely wish I was still drinking cider and watching bands in a field and not doing boring admin work right now! So unmotivated to work, thankfully I'm the only one in the office atm so browsing the forum. 

Next time I'm booking things for the week after. 2 years ago I know some guys who booked a holiday to Ibiza that flew out on the Tuesday morning. A week there to chill through the blues sounds good. 

I haven't helped myself by having a mad birthday month building up, including trips to Amsterdam for Eddie vedder, then London to see him, then to download for 5 nights then back to London for GnR two nights before leaving for Glasto. I'll do it other way round in future. Long slow coming down than long build up. 

I walked/hobbled to the Co-op earlier. It's about 10 minutes away but I hurt so much that I had to have a little rest on the way back. I'm sure my ankle hurts more now than when I broke it :( and it's so swollen still that the only shoes I can get on are my Birkenstocks. Ow ow ow ow ow.

7 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I walked/hobbled to the Co-op earlier. It's about 10 minutes away but I hurt so much that I had to have a little rest on the way back. I'm sure my ankle hurts more now than when I broke it :( and it's so swollen still that the only shoes I can get on are my Birkenstocks. Ow ow ow ow ow.

Get to A&E ASAP. If you've broke it before you may have given it another fracture. 

25 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Get to A&E ASAP. If you've broke it before you may have given it another fracture. 

Nope - it's definitely not another break - it's mostly metal after I had it rebuilt so there's not much to break! This is purely wear and tear and arthritic pain after the original injury - it always flares up badly after long walks but this year is worse because I wasn't wearing my boots for most of the weekend so it wasn't supported. It'll heal, but it'll take time!

1 hour ago, liamium said:

really struggling at work now. the 92 miles and 15 hours sleep Weds-Sun have just hit me and i can barely keep my eyes open. i'm not ashamed to admit that i have cried twice today for no apparent reason 

You must be from south Manchester I take it?

Got back to London at 8pm on Monday, felt fine. Had a massive sleep and felt fine all day yesterday, so fine that I was contemplating cancelling my holiday and going to work today. Then, last night, the night terrors came. I thought I'd avoided all that unpleasantness, but no. I now feel horrendous, dazed and confused.

Physically = I'm fine. Slightly sore feet but nicely tanned and no dodgy belly. 

Mentally = Very close to the edge. Tuesday was fine because I kept busy. Today (first day in work) I can't cope. I caned it harder than most festivals previously and I always have a delayed reaction to chems. Like @liamium definite random tears today. 

I think the thing that has hit me most though is the fact I saw my ex (of 6 or so years) for the first time. She was massively dehydrated, hammered and in need of help during Everything Everything's William's Green set and I was on acid - it made for an interesting combo. I got berated for a good hour or so while trying to help her sober up, find her friends and calm down. Then subsequently we had another night where we got on like a house on fire, danced to Phoenix and were like the best friends we used to be. The power of Glastonbury, I guess, makes it harder to face the real world where we can't really be friends. 

Edited by popcornmaster

I didn't get home til yesterday then immediately had to do a 5 bus (and a quick shop for bits) journey to collect pets from petsitter. I can't even begin to describe that.

I can't face the iPlayer stuff yet.  Maybe a Coronation Street marathon or something.

My drink intake was tiny and I didn't do anything else.  This comedown is purely emotional.  Makes me miss the old kind.

I got into work, felt a bit light headed.  Asked my senior to keep an eye on me because I didn't feel too well.  Was sent straight home.

RESULT.

But seriously, I feel horrendous.  Think it's a chest infection...

Edited by fowls

17 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

It's lots of things. The built up, the drink, the drug comedowns, the overload of the senses, but mostly it's the human connections. I did a degree in human evolution 6 years ago and nearly wrote my dissertation on the subject, the link between being constantly surrounded by human voices and chat and social bonding, and how that drove brain expansion and our evolution to what we are today. Take that away then our serotonin drops rapidly and synapses stop flashing so we're left empty and depressed. We need to live together in large groups and tribes not on our own in flats and jobs where we speak to no one. Evolutionary Reality is what we experienced at Glasto, abnormality is everyday life in the divided world we live in everyday. Fuck that. 

This all makes perfect sense to me. It's what gets me most is the connections and people that I meet over the weekend. Being surrounded by all that noise and laughing, drunkenness, good times - to come home to nothing is an absolute kick in the balls. One that seems to get worse every year.

Was back at work today and have started to get a bad throat. Never been ill in my 4 previous times so this is an extra downer. Even surrounded by people in work doesn't seem to cut it. I just want to be back on the farm. No other festival comes close to the atmosphere there. It's truly the most magical place in the world.

Back to work tomorrow, went to watch the maccabees farewell show lastnight which meant yesterday was grand. But now i'm starting to get 'Sunday' dread. Doesn't help that I have to get up for work at 5.20am and commute 3 hours a day, everyday. FML.