Charli XCX - one of us

Amy Lawn

For some reason I am completely uninterested in this album and/or new singles despite her being one of my favourite artists.  I’ve got the impressions that the recent stuff and the new album from her socials is just not going to be for me.

Has any of it been any good?  I should probably just listen but am interested in everyone’s thoughts. 

7 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

For some reason I am completely uninterested in this album and/or new singles despite her being one of my favourite artists.  I’ve got the impressions that the recent stuff and the new album from her socials is just not going to be for me.

Has any of it been any good?  I should probably just listen but am interested in everyone’s thoughts. 

I'm in the same boat. Everything I've heard so far has felt cold and dry, New Shape had good vocals from Christine and Caroline but the instrumental was so dull.

If she's playing a lot this new stuff on her tour I'll probably give her a miss at festivals.

10 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

1 minute ago, scatteredscreens said:

I'm in the same boat. Everything I've heard so far has felt cold and dry, New Shape had good vocals from Christine and Caroline but the instrumental was so dull.

If she's playing a lot this new stuff on her tour I'll probably give her a miss at festivals.

I don’t think she is either. Fans think this album is a tick box before she can go back to experimental stuff.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, Muppetmark said:

Hope the setlist this tour has a good mix 

She's doing 'The Charli XCX Experience' at Banquet on the Friday of Glasto, which is advertised as a gig with "Bops from every era" so I'm hoping she's headlining the JP on Sunday as she was rumoured to in 2020 and that's what we get. I'm meeting her at Westfield HMV on Friday so I'll try and ask!

On 3/11/2022 at 1:17 PM, Matt42 said:

I don’t think she is either. Fans think this album is a tick box before she can go back to experimental stuff.

My girlfriend is a big fan, and supposedly this is the last album if her record deal. If that's the case, maybe doing straight-up pop is her idea. It could be a bit like what actors do by taking on a Superhero film or whatever. She does this album, hopefully earns a bucketload of cash and then when she is independent (she hates her record label) she is set and can just do what she likes.

I'm not a fan of this album really but Good Ones is possibly my favourite of all her songs ever.

• Like 1

Rather unexpectedly her new album seems to be getting glowing reviews across the board. Due to having to listen to Capital FM almost constantly in work I never want to hear Beg For You ever again in my life (and I didn’t like it initially) but I’m back to looking forward to this now after expecting a bit of a stinker. 

Charli has definitely settled into a cycle of one safe/commercial project followed by a more interesting indie project. It seems to be working well for her to have one foot in each world. Keeps her on the big radio/streaming playlists but also gives her credibility and freedom to experiment on every other record.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:27 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Anybody read her bit in the Sunday edition of Glastonbury Free Press? Fuck all those other dickhead celebrities who apparently "get it" because they spend the weekend in expensive campervans in VIP and sit looking photogenic up the Stone Circle for a bit; Charli XCX properly gets it. And her set was amazing this year, and her new album is fucking brilliant, and she's got more fucking bangers in her back catalogue at the age of 24 than anybody else in recorded history. Best person ever.

Anyone able to link the Free Press article? 

1 hour ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

Ain’t you have COVID like a month ago

No. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve had it. Thought I might have had it at the start of the pandemic but this definitely is the first time.

I’ve had to isolate due to exposures but this is the first time I’ve properly had it.

Edited by Matt42

• 4 months later...

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

Popping this in here as well as the gig ticket thread.  One ticket going spare for Charli in Brighton next week 31st Aug as part of revive Live, can't make it anymore.  £30 face value or popping it on Twickets.

I would love it, yes please. However, I am seeing Charli on Sunday at Reading and have already seen this tour 3 times now. So if anyone else wants it who has not yet seen the Crash tour, i will be happy to concede the ticket. 

...but if no one else claims it, yes please! 

Edited by GeezLouise