Did you leave a trace?

Chipbarm

Didn't piss on the land once, emptied my piss bottle into the longdrops. Quite proud of that as I'd pissed on the land in previous years without thinking anything of it.

Took everything back home with me and binned the rest, didn't litter around the campsite at all.

Out in the festival I did litter sometimes, especially in larger crowds. I think the next year I will take black bin bags into the crowds with me and create a little litter collection point for myself and those around me.

I'll echo what others have said, the festival did look much better in terms of litter, but there's always room for improvement (from myself too)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, M_Il said:

On a side note why do they have separate bins for paper, cans, food waste then dump it all in a dustbin lorry together? Genuine question as it confused me one morning or was a seeing things 

I've pretty sure I've seen separate lorries going around (one this year had a sign saying 'cardboard' in the windscreen) but I dunno if that happens all the time 

10 hours ago, Girlwiththemostcake said:

Haha that's true. I have left tents at festivals in the past, but Glastonbury is a different kettle of fish with its 'leave no trace' message and charity ethos. 

I don't mean to be rude but leaving rubbish behind anywhere is wrong... whether it's at Glastonbury or another smaller festival or a day trip to the seaside 

1 hour ago, alien said:

Didn't piss on the land once, emptied my piss bottle into the longdrops. Quite proud of that as I'd pissed on the land in previous years without thinking anything of it.

Took everything back home with me and binned the rest, didn't litter around the campsite at all.

Out in the festival I did litter sometimes, especially in larger crowds. I think the next year I will take black bin bags into the crowds with me and create a little litter collection point for myself and those around me.

I'll echo what others have said, the festival did look much better in terms of litter, but there's always room for improvement (from myself too)

Well done for your personal improvements and congrats on your honesty. I'm sure you'll do even better next time :) x

1 hour ago, alien said:

well done you 

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

so you didn't then ? because I'm pretty sure lots of people on  here did and can leave with a completely clear concience thats why lots of people volunterally signed up to become worthy warriors its not about stars its about a lovely clear farmland and the cows getting back in those lovely green fields as soon as possible 

Obviously I did. My point is that no one on these boards is likely to be the type to leave their crap at the farm when they go home.  And if they are, they're hardly going to admit to it, so this thread is for everyone to shout about how good they are, when actually it should be a given. 

If anyone needs a list of the good things I did while I was on the farm let me know. 

2 minutes ago, ticketboy69 said:

Obviously I did. My point is that no one on these boards is likely to be the type to leave their crap at the farm when they go home.  And if they are, they're hardly going to admit to it, so this thread is for everyone to shout about how good they are, when actually it should be a given. 

If anyone needs a list of the good things I did while I was on the farm let me know. 

fair comment and why not ? love a a good things story :) 

I can honestly say I did not leave any litter or any of my belongings behind. I spent 2 hours cleaning our camp of 15 after they left, as well as surrounding areas, as well as putting down abandoned tents with a lovely charity lady. I was so disheartened at the mess left behind and even confronted a few people as they left! They simply ignored me. I filled my arms with other people's rubbish every time I left a set and put it in appropriate bins. I do hope those that can be identified will be banned for the next one!

I would like to say every cig butt, every can, every cup, every sweet wrapper was put in a bin or taken home. 

But I can't... I was bad on Friday night and left a couple of paper cups on the ground for some reason I now no longer remember. 

I will do better in 2019. Promise. 

2 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

We were camped in Park Home Ground & took six big blacks of rubbish/recycling over before we left, donated a blanket with the campsite crew (who were all lovely btw, if any are reading) & then (just about) lugged everything else back to the car. 

The people camped just behind us, however, made absolutely no attempt to take anything home at all. They left at least four big tents like this standing in a circle. From the outside they all looked perfectly reusable - so we considered taking them down & getting them over to the donation point - but when we looked inside they were covered with vomit and literal shit. On top of that everything else had then been chucked & trashed in a pile in the middle; multiple air beds, decent looking duvets/pillows, non-perishable food stuff all mixed in with your usual rubbish they clearly just hadn't bothered to put in a bin bag at any point over the weekend. Again we considered having a tidy up but it would've been one hell of an effort & there was still excrement around. 

Anyway, silver lining is the group clearly had about four braincells between them as, according to some of the camp crew we got chatting to about lunchtime yesterday, they'd left their tickets in with the rubbish. So the crew took a bunch of photos and are passing the ticket details to those higher up, hoping a ban comes about. 

Too right, filthy animals

First time I've ever been and as a bit of a lefty hippie I was a bit disappointed by all the mess. I arrived on Thursday morning and as you went in Gate A it already looked like a disaster zone, cans and bottles strewn all over the place.

I know the festival attracts all sorts of people but I guess in my dream world people had bought into the eco warrior thing a bit more. 

12 minutes ago, tozpot said:

taking my gimpy pop up tent down at 530am i was raging at it and contemplated leaving it there until it finally collapsed in itself and fit back into the bag

did chuck a few tinnies on the ground during some sets which i felt bad for but hard to get out of a crowd innit

didn't you have a bin liner with you ? I even picked up all my fag butts and took them with me after dobbing them out... 

12 hours ago, Girlwiththemostcake said:

I didn't drop a single piece of rubbish and our campsite of four left the area completely clear, dropping a bag of recycling and a bag of rubbish off at the bin collection point on our way out. 

It should simply be part and parcel of what you do at Glastonbury. 

Ditto

takes no effort at all just bin your rubbish as you go along really pisses me off the rubbish some people leave makes you wonder how these dirty lazy bastards must live their houses must me rotten dirty.

Apart from 1 roll mat that had burst (I binned it I didnt leave it behind on the site) and 1 tent peg attached to a guy rope (because it was 5.20am my bus was at 6 and the fools in the tent behind me had pitched so close to me they actually pitched their tent `over` this peg meaning I couldnt get it out of the ground without waking them so chose to just untie it tent side and leave it behind as didnt fancy the hassle from them when I was rushing to pack up anyway to meet my bus......had to leave that one but one of the others I was camping with would have seen the long orange line attached to it and pulled it for me anyway when the other tent had gone.

Other then that all went with me, bin bag got taken down and put in the correct place. 

12 hours ago, babyblade41 said:

I don't mean to be rude but leaving rubbish behind anywhere is wrong... whether it's at Glastonbury or another smaller festival or a day trip to the seaside 

Generally I'd agree. The first time i left a tent behind was about 15 years ago, before I knew any better.

The last time was at Wilderness  I don't know if you've been there before, but lovely as it is, it's very expensive. Even once you've paid the almost £200 ticket price there are lots of extras that cost more, e.g. some theatre performances, an rather expensive outdoor spa, etc. You are also restricted in how much alcohol you can take. They allow you only 12 cans of beer for the weekend. No spirits allowed. The first time I went you could take alcohol into the main arena, the following year you couldn't.

So while I didn't drop litter there, nor would I anywhere, when on the last day it pissed it down with rain and we ended up leaving on the Sunday afternoon as we were so cold, there was nowhere to take shelter and the bands were mediocre (only two stages so not much choice) I didn't feel too bad about leaving my leaking (empty) tent. The ethos of the festival seemed, less about social responsibility and a lot more about the organisers making money, and that made it hard for my cold, miserable self to spend time taking a tent down in the rain only to then throw it away.

Glastonbury is different and makes a big deal about being so. Even the most ignorant people there can't have failed to notice that.

Bit hard for people to be honest if the digs are thrown at them straight away. 

There was a definite improvement on site on the Monday this year. Actually spent some time up the stone circle for the first time cos it was infinitely more pleasant. 

Our camp was spotless leaving but every fucking year on a Monday I have the briefest of brief moments of thinking fuck it and consider leaving it all behind. Then give me head a wobble and crack on with the packing.