Top 5 Acts

kingcrawler

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In no order... 

Justice for closing an amazing weekend in amazing style. 

British Sea Power for being the class act, genuine bunch they are.

Radiohead for the feels.

Nadine Shah for passion. 

Future Islands for getting the party started! 

Honourable mentions - Jon Hopkins DJ at Arcadia. What a set, and a great crowd. 

Confidence Man in Crow's Nest. That messed up pair know how to get a crowd going. 

Avalanches and Whitney also stuck in my mind. 

Anderson Paak

The Killers

Jain

Radiohead

Hascienda Classical

5th was a tough choice - Paul Carrack, Declan mckenna, Loyle Carner, The Jacksons and Justice all just missing out. Literally only had one act that disappointed me the whole weekend (Solange). Great great weekend.

Flaming Lips

New York Brass Band (Thursday Greenpeace)

Chic

The National

RTJ 

As I didnt see the full sets of Lemon Twigs (crows nest), Paak and Elbow; they're being omitted. Paak's a superstar though and will be on the Pyramid by 2020.

Radiohead - exceptional set as far as I was concerned, something for everyone and a brilliant retrospective on a vast and varied back catalogue (Let Down and Pyramid Song highlights for me)...

The Big Moon - Album is catchy as hell, especially if you grew up on '90s indie pop...bloody marvellous live act!

Father John Misty - Just pure class from start to finish

Killers - Didn't expect this one, but I guess this is how I want to see them. In one hour, wall to wall hits, in a crowd turned up to 11. Throw in Jenny was a friend of mine and it was basically '04/'05 Killers again (which is how I remember them)...

Ride - New stuff sounds good, was probably more excited by them when they first reformed, but they sounded great...needs more Drive Blind and Chelsea Girl though!

....went to Alt J on Saturday who I enjoyed...lighting was fantastic (wasn't much point in trying to get to Dead Kennedy's after FJM), liked the Lemon Twigs (just not sure if they know what they are yet, so it was a bit disjointed...talent is clearly there though), enjoyed King Gizz (old school nuts), good energy from Frank Carter (sound wasn't up to much where I was though...managed to get in a good bit further for Killers) and dipped into a selection of others (Declan McKenna, the XX and a few more)...all in all, a cracking year in every respect!

Flaming Lips, Sharon Shannon, Father John Misty, The Moonlandingz, The Smyths. In no particular order. Special mentions for Metronomy, John Cooper Clarke, Mik Artistic. Great weekend again. Sort of watched some of Thundercat but I wasn't all there at that point. Later vomited something not too dissimilar to the gunge used on Get Your Own back so apologies to anybody who saw that.

I'm excluding Radiohead, Mark Lanegan, The National & Elbow because I would have enjoyed them anyway.

1. The Moonlandingz

2. King Gizzard

3. The Big Moon

4. Hamilton Leithauser

5. Frank Carter

Angel Olsen close to making it.

Foos and Killers were great experiences & I'm glad I was there but I would give them up for any of the above in a memory wipe.

Radiohead - Absolutely mind blowing, particulary There, There followed by Bodysnatchers which left me completely exhausted.

Angel Olsen - She left out a few of my favourites but it was still incredibly enjoyable. Her voice is spectacular and the version of Sister was wonderful, she's so dreamy :).

First Aid Kit - I saw these at the Pyramid a few years ago and quite enjoyed them, I don't think I've listened to them since then but I caught them again this time and thought they were superb. The two sisters getting right in each other's faces and and having a right good smile at each other was such a lovely moment, I had to choke back tears (admittedly I was very fragile at this point, but it was still very moving)

Amber Arcades - Watched these twice, thoroughly enjoyed both but especially up at The Crows Nest, you can't beat watching small acts that you love in there.

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - I was absolutely hanging on Sunday afternoon, these lads blew the cobwebs off though and then some. I forgot how mental their visuals are, they really sorted me out though! Finishing with The River was a nice treat :).

Honourable mentions for Blossoms, Mark Lanegan, BSP (I passed out midway through and I'm devastated that I did), Foos, Real Estate, Justin-Townes Earle, Let's Eat Grandma and Jagwar Ma. I'm so sad it's over :(, if very fortunate and grateful that I was there to enjoy it.

1. Another "Frank Carter but was only there for the Killers" vote

2. The Killers

3. Elbow

4. Dropkick Murphy's

5. The Big Moon

Frank Carter was awesome. I was dreading it, so just goes to show you should never prejudge. The female crowd surfing piece, and the comments after the big moshpit were just spot on. I know what will happen now though, I'll buy his album and think why the hell did I buy this?!? Great atmosphere he generated though, and it can't have been easy, there must have been a shedload of Killers fans in there.

1. Kate Tempest - best set - what a talent she is

2. Justice - best headline set - light show was amazeballs

3. Future Islands - best crowd of the weekend - extraordinary noise in that tent!

4. King Gizz (JP) - best time management - i.e. zero banter just played the hits almost non stop!

5. The National - can't think what they were best at but I loved it - best drinking on stage perhaps as Matt didn't half put it away!