Diversity

budvar

Having been going to Glastonbury since 2004 it feels to me that they're making big improvements in terms of the diversity of the acts and and the punters and that is a very good thing for the health of the festival.

While the vast majority of atendees are white you no longer have to look around for too long before seeing someone of a different ethnicity, making it more reflective of the music loving community that I know.

It also felt like the average age might be coming down a little too, which is also important. I love going to Glastonbury but it really shouldn't be full of people like me - I know Michael was very aware of that a few years ago when he mentioned needing to get in the student crowd.

Still work to be done, but congratulations to GFL for what they've achieved so far (Stormzy headlining in a few years certainly won't hurt)

I disagree. Been to every one since 2003. It's probably whiter than ever now, not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I thought of a few factors why:

- Even greater demographic of white middle class populate the festival. Any other demographic more likely priced out by the almost double-the-rate of UK inflation of the ticket price. (including the dodgy looking scallies/ chavs which is no bad thing lol).

- Ethnic minorities tend to populate the big towns and cities. They may not be able to afford to go, or simply do not feel living in a tent for a week at all appealing.

- the only ethnic minorities I've ever met at the festival are either performers, traders, are working as security, or are also from a more wealthier, middle class suburbanite background where they may still be the ethnic minority anyway.

- Not really a point, but found it bemusing that the blues/ gully section of the official programme used dark, 'black' colours to indicate that the artists here would be 'Urban' and/ or black. It was something like that anyway.

The biggest diverse range of people I've seen mix together, dance together, eat together, celebrate etc is at things like St Paul's Carnival in Bristol (oh god I hope they bring it back soon), NottingHill/ Leicester Carnival, or the Diwali celebrations in Leicester. 

Not trying to cause offence or argue by the way, the above are just observations over the past 13 Glasto's. What a marvellous week it's been, and a fantastic one to finish before the break next year. I might go to Gnaoua in Essaouira next year as it's the same sort of time.

10 minutes ago, razorruck said:

I disagree. Been to every one since 2003. It's probably whiter than ever now, not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I thought of a few factors why:

- Even greater demographic of white middle class populate the festival. Any other demographic more likely priced out by the almost double-the-rate of UK inflation of the ticket price. (including the dodgy looking scallies/ chavs which is no bad thing lol).

What about non-white middle class? Such a thing does exist you know. 

- Ethnic minorities tend to populate the big towns and cities. They may not be able to afford to go, or simply do not feel living in a tent for a week at all appealing.

There were loads of white people from the big towns and cities. In fact most of the people I met seemed to be from big conurbations, whether they lived there or were studying there. Why would the ethnic minorities not feel like living in a tent appealing?

- the only ethnic minorities I've ever met at the festival are either performers, traders, are working as security, or are also from a more wealthier, middle class suburbanite background where they may still be the ethnic minority anyway.

There are loads of ethnic minorities at the festival. Nowhere near as diverse as London or Birmingham but a hell of a lot more diverse than Dorset or Cumbria. How on earth could you know the class/area background of every ethnic minority person you meet?

Really odd post. Don't get me wrong I don't think your intentions are bad or offensive, clearly you seem like the sort who appreciates diversity but I can't agree with your post at all. My first Glasto was 2004 and it's a hell of a lot more diverse than before. 

7 hours ago, razorruck said:

- Not really a point, but found it bemusing that the blues/ gully section of the official programme used dark, 'black' colours to indicate that the artists here would be 'Urban' and/ or black. It was something like that anyway.

The biggest diverse range of people I've seen mix together, dance together, eat together, celebrate etc is at things like St Paul's Carnival in Bristol (oh god I hope they bring it back soon), NottingHill/ Leicester Carnival, or the Diwali celebrations in Leicester. 

Not trying to cause offence or argue by the way, the above are just observations over the past 13 Glasto's. What a marvellous week it's been, and a fantastic one to finish before the break next year. I might go to Gnaoua in Essaouira next year as it's the same sort of time.

Absolutely agree that certain groups have been priced out and, overall, that's a bad thing for the festival. I just feel like I see more people of more varied ethnic backgrounds than I used to - the line-up is unquestionably more diverse.

Diversity of acts is great but I Can't agree about the punters. In 2015 I said to Mrs that I saw more people 'of colour' on stages than in the crowds. Even more so this year, unfortunately. 

Edit: as in the crowd seemed more 'white' than ever not unfortunately there were more diverse acts! 

Edited by Bonaneas

36 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Diversity of acts is great but I Can't agree about the punters. In 2015 I said to Mrs that I saw more people 'of colour' on stages than in the crowds. Even more so this year, unfortunately. 

Edit: as in the crowd seemed more 'white' than ever not unfortunately there were more diverse acts! 

Got to agree with this in regards to the punters. My mate is mixed race and he was the only person we could see from where we were stood at other stage on Saturday who was not white.

Glastonbury is the whitest place I have ever been in my life. It is strange how it does not attract people from ethnic minorities when you consider how diverse the line up is.

There is a stigma attached to Glastonbury in that it is only for the white and middle classes. More needs to be done to change this.

21 minutes ago, battleborn said:

What do you expect when it costs a weeks wages for a minimum wage employee to buy the ticket, two to three weeks if they actually want to eat, drink and have a half decent time at the festival - it's a straight choice between this or a holiday, if there even fortunate enough to have the possibility of a holiday (i.e no kids and cheap rent). Unfortunately people of colour (or whatever the politically correct term is these days) are disproportionately lower earners, that's a problem with society as a whole. 

The cost is not the problem. It costs far, far more to do 3 days at V fest than it does to spend 5 days at Glastonbury. Yet V fest and Parklife have no trouble attracting diverse crowds.

20 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The cost is not the problem. It costs far, far more to do 3 days at V fest than it does to spend 5 days at Glastonbury. Yet V fest and Parklife have no trouble attracting diverse crowds.

And neither does download, where the opposite is true, I.e. Hardly any diversity on stage (that's atypical of rock & metal) but far more diversity in the crowd than at Glasto. It's a strange one. 

I agree that festival appears to be mainly white and also a large section is middle class. Which is a shame particuarly, if i remember correctly, there appeared to be increased diversity back in 2015? 

I think part of the issue is that there can be a fair bit of snobbery at glastonbury when acts such as Jay-Z and Kanye are announced on the pyramid stage and when things like the petition against Kanye gets a huge amount of media attention it may not appear that inclusive and subconsciously that would turn alot of people from different backgrounds off. 

I know it turns me off to an extent and i'm very white (apart from my arms and face after this weekend!)

Edited by Tyonks
Apologies for my rambling!