Download full sets from iplayer

bsolxiv

10 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I can’t get the command for 1080p to work

You need to explicitly request 1080p using --quality="1080p" - For some annoying reason, if you just go for the defaults, or even for "best available", it'll top out at 720p.

39 minutes ago, incident said:

You need to explicitly request 1080p using --quality="1080p" - For some annoying reason, if you just go for the defaults, or even for "best available", it'll top out at 720p.

I'm not doing something right here. Just tried it with Kendrick and its still 720p.

Can I confirm the steps? 

Run the command get_iplayer--tv-quality="1080p" and then the command for whatever pid I want to record?

Or should I be doing it a different way? 

Just now, hurdy said:

I'm not doing something right here. Just tried it with Kendrick and its still 720p.

Can I confirm the steps? 

Run the command get_iplayer--tv-quality="1080p" and then the command for whatever pid I want to record?

Or should I be doing it a different way? 

No - either:

- add the --quality="1080p" to the end of the command for the recording (keeping the tv- part in is fine, but redundant)

or:

- use the command get_iplayer --prefs-add --quality="1080p" to set the resolution as a preference so it goes 1080p every time. Actually, if you're doing this, it'd probably be better to use get_iplayer --prefs-add --quality="1080p,720p,540p" to set a preference order, so that it has a second and third choices if 1080p (and 720p) isn't available for whatever reason. Then run your command to get the stream.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, incident said:

- use the command get_iplayer --prefs-add --quality="1080p" to set the resolution as a preference so it goes 1080p every time. Actually, if you're doing this, it'd probably be better to use get_iplayer --prefs-add --quality="1080p,720p,540p" to set a preference order, so that it has a second and third choices if 1080p (and 720p) isn't available for whatever reason. Then run your command to get the stream.

Tried this but get Unknown option: quality?

Just now, hurdy said:

My bad - try it with --tv-quality instead

Looking at the documentation it might be another annoyance - the tv- bit is redundant when specifying it on the line but potentially not when saving preferences.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

My bad - try it with --tv-quality instead

Looking at the documentation it might be another annoyance - the tv- bit is redundant when specifying it on the line but potentially not when saving preferences.

Just returns Unknown option: tv-quality when I try that

When I add it ti the end of the recording command it also returns Unknown option: quality as well.

Slightly perplexed

Just now, hurdy said:

Just returns Unknown option: tv-quality when I try that

When I add it ti the end of the recording command it also returns Unknown option: quality as well.

Slightly perplexed

Are you certain that you're using the latest version (3.30)?

An old version (that doesn't support the new quality options) is the only explanation I can think of right now.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Are you certain that you're using the latest version (3.30)?

An old version (that doesn't support the new quality options) is the only explanation I can think of right now.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What's the exact command you're running? Do you know which version of get_iplayer you have installed?

And there's the problem... I was still on 3.20 (I only ever use it in the first week of July each year for some reason)...

Working fine now on 3.30, thanks both

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

Upgraded to the latest one now looks to be working but it downloading audio where I only want tv programs.

For 1080p it download the audio and video streams separately, audio first, and then combines them at the end.

Give it a while and then check back.

11 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

I really want to see what the UHD quality is like 

Oh its gonna be insane. Although I would hope the frame rate isnt at 60. I lile the 30fps stuff since its a bit more  cinematic. Although I thought I had gotten a uhd kendrick cause it was 6gb, but it was the 3 hour program.

35 minutes ago, hurdy said:

I don't think you add ="option" (equal sign and quotation marks) - at least on linux you dont.

--tv-quality <quality>,<quality>,... : TV recording quality preference (overrides --quality): fhd,hd,sd,web,mobile,default (Aliases: 1080p,720p,540p,396p,288p). Comma-delimited list in descending order of preference. Default: hd,sd,web,mobile

so you should do for max quality:

--tv-quality 1080p

or

--tv-quality fhd

all options are here

https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/manpage

Edited by glasto360

45 minutes ago, glasto360 said:

well, here's macca in 1080p - let's just say I uhn found on twitter: https://transfer.sh/QXT9hW/paul_1080p

Ta for that - but I'm *fairly* sure you can get that from get_iplayer - my download is 9GB, reported as 1920x1080, using --prefs-add -TVMODE="FHD,HD"

Nice to have it done for you already, though, in your link 👍👍

Dunno if it's already been mentioned, but JDownloader now works with iPlayer. I've ripped a bunch of sets with that.

Also, there are a fair few sets up on the DIME torrent site that are in the highest quality I've seen (Billie's set was 18GB.) I think they were captured from the satellite feeds

• Like 1