Download full sets from iplayer

bsolxiv

39 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

top man thank you. In process as i type.

BTW off topic did you get your cider for the festival - what type and how much did you go with?

Just now, chuckles07 said:

top man thank you. In process as i type.

BTW off topic did you get your cider for the festival - what type and how much did you go with?

I think I went with the original idea I had in the opening post.  So I completely ignored everyone!
Brown Snout Still Cider 5 litre (Dry) 
Yarde Real Cider 3 litre 

It was great fun wandering around with 8l of cider in a co-op bag!

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Are the PIDs new? As far as I can tell it strips the rest of the URL out and just uses the PID.

They're a different name, beginning with m, where the others begin with p. However, I notice the Cure show begins with m, so it should be ok, just not got round to the radio shows yet, still on TV. Cheers.

Please can someone help me?! I have no idea about techie stuff! Is it possible to download stuff onto my iPhone? Or do I need to use a proper computer and put it on a memory stick? 

Or, do I need to get someone clever to do it for me? My skills lie in other places. I only just got a car with electric w Meows and that's confusing enough. 

Totally leaving my typo in for giggles :)

19 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

Please can someone help me?! I have no idea about techie stuff! Is it possible to download stuff onto my iPhone? Or do I need to use a proper computer and put it on a memory stick? 

Or, do I need to get someone clever to do it for me? My skills lie in other places. I only just got a car with electric w Meows and that's confusing enough. 

Totally leaving my typo in for giggles :)

Use a proper computer.  Download this app and install it:

http://jdownloader.org

Run the app, copy a link from the iplayer website of a set you want, the app should recognise the link automatically and start the download. 

Easiest way to download the sets IMO. 

Edited by HotChipWillBreakYourLegs

Anyone use Plex to play these to TV?

Its driving me feckin nuts - for some reason it has indexed 4 sets all together as Sheryl Crow (which none of them are), so when I want to watch on TV I select Crow and get The Cure, and can't get the other three episodes at all.  Doing my head in. 

Maybe someone can suggest something else to use for streaming that lets you manually edit titles? 

10 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Anyone use Plex to play these to TV?

Its driving me feckin nuts - for some reason it has indexed 4 sets all together as Sheryl Crow (which none of them are), so when I want to watch on TV I select Crow and get The Cure, and can't get the other three episodes at all.  Doing my head in. 

Maybe someone can suggest something else to use for streaming that lets you manually edit titles? 

I think you have to set them up as home movies or something. And even then searching them is a total pain, but at least they display properly.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think you have to set them up as home movies or something. And even then searching them is a total pain, but at least they display properly.

THANK YOU!!!

Its not perfect but easy enough to watch them doing this - was driving me mad!

Edited by Northtim

On 7/5/2019 at 9:22 PM, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

Use a proper computer.  Download this app and install it:

http://jdownloader.org

Run the app, copy a link from the iplayer website of a set you want, the app should recognise the link automatically and start the download. 

Easiest way to download the sets IMO. 

Thank you! I’ll report back!

34 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

You can use jdownloader to download just the audio from videos. 

If you really only want just the audio, you can save bandwidth by using 

get_iplayer --audio-only <URL>

JDownloader downloads the entire video first, then extracts the audio, which is a bit of a waste. In either case, you will have to convert AAC audio to MP3 after download. There are many tools available for that chore.

1 minute ago, OldScratch said:

If you really only want just the audio, you can save bandwidth by using 

get_iplayer --audio-only <URL>

JDownloader downloads the entire video first, then extracts the audio, which is a bit of a waste. In either case, you will have to convert AAC audio to MP3 after download. There are many tools available for that chore.

AAC is widely playable these days, so probably doesn't need to be converted most of the time. And is a superior audio format in any case, so if you can avoid transcoding, then I'd recommend sticking with AAC 

42 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

AAC is widely playable these days, so probably doesn't need to be converted most of the time. And is a superior audio format in any case, so if you can avoid transcoding, then I'd recommend sticking with AAC 

Didn't mean to imply MP3 was necessary. Since the original request from ogriff mentioned MP3, I thought it was worth noting conversion would still be required for MP3. Some older hardware players may have trouble with AAC audio of long programmes (2+ hours), and some hardware players won't support AAC at all. Shouldn't be a problem for most people, and never a problem for software players.

Edited by OldScratch

I'm having a few issues - any suggestions?

1) I'm getting audio skipping/clicks on some of the HD downloads (I have 100Mb Virginmedia - so speed shouldn't be the problem).

2) When I run them through MP4-MP3 converter so I can play them in the car the audio is very quiet.

My PC is a HP Gen10 Microserver, 16Gb RAM, 12Tb of HDD, Windows 10 Pro, Get_Iplayer V3.20, hard-wired into the Router.

11 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

I'm having a few issues - any suggestions?

1) I'm getting audio skipping/clicks on some of the HD downloads (I have 100Mb Virginmedia - so speed shouldn't be the problem).

2) When I run them through MP4-MP3 converter so I can play them in the car the audio is very quiet.

My PC is a HP Gen10 Microserver, 16Gb RAM, 12Tb of HDD, Windows 10 Pro, Get_Iplayer V3.20, hard-wired into the Router.

Couple of questions:

• What application are you using to play the videos?
  • What CPU/Graphics do you have in your PC?

7 minutes ago, HotChipWillBreakYourLegs said:

If it's a downloaded file you're playing then it won't have anything to do with your broadband.  More likely that it's the computer that can't process the HD video quick enough or the data transfer speed between your hard drive (is it external?) and pc. 

OK - I'll reboot the router and try on my "Games PC" which has an 3.4Ghz i7, 32Gb of DDR4 and two SSD's raid'd together - I just won't be able to get the lot in one go.

I'm playing them with latest version of VLC and videocard in an NVidia 1050ti - the HP Gen10 is my dedicated download PC.

Edited by Penrhos

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That should be fast enough!

The HP Gen10 is my dedicated torrent/ftp/media server so should be good enough for downloading - I'll try tonight (the Tame Impala set seemed the worst)..