Download full sets from iplayer

bsolxiv

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Why indeed, there is!

get_iplayer --pid p00fz19b

SWEEEEET! - that'll come down in hi-quality by default yes?

Just need to look at the switch to change the default save-to dir (sure I can suss that out)

Cheers Stu (from that Scottish bloke, with the great shoes that kept bumping into you over the weekend after the meet!)

4 minutes ago, pauladam said:

SWEEEEET! - that'll come down in hi-quality by default yes?

Just need to look at the switch to change the default save-to dir (sure I can suss that out)

Cheers Stu (from that Scottish bloke, with the great shoes that kept bumping into you over the weekend after the meet!)

It should be using "best" by default on the latest version, yes.

I gave up trying to change the save folder.  Since it's so slow and keep track of what you've downloaded via a text file, I'm going to keep moving them off my C drive as they come down.

EDIT: Hi Paul!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And if you have fast internet, you can download multiple files at the same time by opening up new instances of the get_iplayer command prompt.  It doesn't seem to slow the existing downloads down too much :D

Sussed out the change folder thing

Run the following first (in my case drive X:\ is my NAS box where all my Glasto content is stored) - note I believe this does change the future save location permanently, unless you change it again.

get_iplayer --prefs-add --output "X:\2019"

Also...to download all content I used the following....

get_iplayer --pid b007r6vx --pid-recursive

Different PID - this one refers to everything with the name "Glastonbury" in it and using the "--pid-recursive" option tell its to just go download it all

Edited by pauladam
changed error to success!

14 minutes ago, pauladam said:

Run the following first (in my case drive X:\ is my NAS box where all my Glasto content is stored) - note I believe this does change the future save location permanently, unless you change it again.

Different PID - this one refers to everything with the name "Glastonbury" in it and using the "--pid-recursive" option tell its to just go download it all

Duh, I missed off the recursive, I had a different command in my text editor and it looks like I hadn't hit "undo" nearly enough. 

Glad you got it sorted, apologies for the bum steer.

Edit: I'm going to check if I'm using the same PID as you.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, pauladam said:

Yep, I gave you completely the wrong command ?, and you worked out exactly the right one that I've been using for the past 4 years to get everything. 

At least you have good boots because of me!

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yep, I gave you completely the wrong command ?, and you worked out exactly the right one that I've been using for the past 4 years to get everything. 

At least you have good boots because of me!

The perks (and experience) of working in IT - ask someone first, if they know and tell you and it still doesn't work..... use google :D

3 minutes ago, pauladam said:

The perks (and experience) of working in IT - ask someone first, if they know and tell you and it still doesn't work..... use google :D

So embarrassed I gave such duff info when I was in the middle of downloading everything with the command you used. Let's put it down to the Glasto blues ;)

And the location change has worked a treat too :D

1 hour ago, pauladam said:

Technically, it refers to all episodes listed under:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007r6vx/episodes/player

To see the list of programmes before downloading use:

get_iplayer --pid b007r6vx --pid-recursive-list

Edited by OldScratch

3 hours ago, Penrhos said:

get_iplayer --tvmode=hvfhd (to set HD downloads - for smaller files use tvmode=best)

then

get_iplayer URL to download

Settings aren't sticky unless you save with --prefs-add. Use --tvmode=hvfhd with each download otherwise. And --tvmode=best won't produce smaller files unless HD streams are not available, which isn't likely in this case.

Edited by OldScratch

37 minutes ago, paulshane said:

yes: https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/osx

but you'll need to use the command prompt/Terminal to use it

On Mac, you also get a "Quick URL Record" utility with get_iplayer. After launching it from /Applications/get_iplayer in Finder, you can drag/drop URLs from browser onto its dock icon to initiate downloads. You can also drag/drop URLs to the command prompt in Terminal, so little or no typing required.

Just now, nilolium said:

would you mind to torrent them?

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with publicly sharing copyrighted material. If you want to grab them directly, you still have time.

3 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Jesus that's a lot! Wonder if I can install it on the uni hpc ?

Almost twice as much as 2016 and 2015 were each (not put together). 

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry, I'm not comfortable with publicly sharing copyrighted material. If you want to grab them directly, you still have time.

Almost twice as much as 2016 and 2015 were each (not put together). 

You probably know this, hell you might already have posted it on this thread as I've not checked back, but the reason is that they've changed to 50 fps streams by default instead of 25

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Got them all

image.thumb.png.0210a22e07778c293c033923f1ae8376.png

Am I right in thinking there's nothing available from Lauryn Hill's set?

Probably a good thing given the drop off between my experience and everyone else's tbh, but I'd quite like it for posterity since it's one of only two gigs at Glastonbury over the years (2007 Bjork being the other) that rebooted my entire existence.

1 hour ago, incident said:

You probably know this, hell you might already have posted it on this thread as I've not checked back, but the reason is that they've changed to 50 fps streams by default instead of 25

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense - although I wouldn't have expected such a large increase given how compressed video stores only the deltas between frames (I realise this is an oversimplification), so the more frames you have the smaller the deltas are.

1 hour ago, Magma said:

Am I right in thinking there's nothing available from Lauryn Hill's set?

Probably a good thing given the drop off between my experience and everyone else's tbh, but I'd quite like it for posterity since it's one of only two gigs at Glastonbury over the years (2007 Bjork being the other) that rebooted my entire existence.

Nothing from Ms Hill I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, chuckles07 said:

Would someone be able to post the correct link for Lukas Nelson and the Promise of the Real please. It is on iplayer but i cant get the correct address.... doh!

This is the URL for viewing in the browser, I think it will work:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07d9hz5/glastonbury-lukas-nelson-promise-of-the-real-live-at-glastonbury

• Like 1