• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It's all about creating the atmosphere for the festival

How is there any atmosphere at the hundreds of non-tv broadcast stages and festivals, including all the glastos up until about 2007, without flags?

On the plus side if somebody is holding a flag at least they struggle to hold a mobile phone up as well. They get in the way far more at eye line view. 

You are either near the front in which case its happy days or further back and looking at TV screens. 

Not overly arsed if a flag gets in the way of a minuscule Nile Rodgers for a bit and just avert my eyes to the screens. 

Im neither for or against I can see both sides......but for the life of me I cant see how people can want to spend all day having to cart those things around? espcially coming across people holding some of the bigger ones with really thick poles! I dont know how/why youd be arsed to do that all day? esp when trying to drink etc. If I did bring one id probably have gotten pissed off carting it around and planted it firmly at the campsite by wenesday evening!

11 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Im neither for or against I can see both sides......but for the life of me I cant see how people can want to spend all day having to cart those things around? espcially coming across people holding some of the bigger ones with really thick poles! I dont know how/why youd be arsed to do that all day? esp when trying to drink etc. If I did bring one id probably have gotten pissed off carting it around and planted it firmly at the campsite by wenesday evening!

I couldn't be arsed carrying a really large one. What I do when walking around is have the pole hooked into my rucksack strap and have the base in my shorts pocket. Keeps both hands free for beer and food as well as visiting urinals. 

Just now, squirrelarmy said:

I couldn't be arsed carrying a really large one. What I do when walking around is have the pole hooked into my rucksack strap and have the base in my shorts pocket. Keeps both hands free for beer and food as well as visiting urinals. 

Some people actually seemed to be struggling the poles were that big and thick....sod that for a laugh carrying around all day

Just now, waterfalls212434 said:

Some people actually seemed to be struggling the poles were that big and thick....sod that for a laugh carrying around all day

Especially when the wind gets up too. I did have a little giggle when an Argentina flag was blown off it's pole at Foos.

Flags can be useful at the campsites however. big up to those in pylon near the actual pylon itself who had the cuban flag underneath another one, if that was anyone here, thankyou!......that was in direct line with our tents and was a crucial marker for finding them when stumbling back half cut in the early hours!

Edited by waterfalls212434

I couldn't be arsed carrying one, making one- any of it. However I did wonder what people do when they need to visit the long drops.

I used them as reference points throughout though, been to loads of festivals and it does makes it easier...until the buggers move. I was aiming for a Jesus flag on the pyarmid, every time I looked up I was further away from my target:ph34r:

Thought I'd dislike the flags -this was my first time- but found I loved seeing them; really adds to the occasion. I made a really cool Radiohead logo flag on a 6m pole but only used it to mark our tent on the Big Ground. Kind of wished I'd brought it to the stage though as it would have stood out well. I say keep the flags.... I will add though; there was a smallish green one on a short pole in front of us for The xx and Radiohead wich was just the wrong height for us at 6-10 people from the rail. 

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

Walking across bellas bridge Saturday afternoon I was behind a 'flag knob' who, instead of closing it up, lowered it straight behind him to get under the trees. Smacked a guy on the head about 20 feet behind and caught his Mrs in the eye. 

Ban them all. 

It was my first time at Glastonbury this year and I loved the flags! It was great to see them all from the top of the Pyramid and there were some great designs. I didn't feel like they blocked my view any more than the backs of peoples' heads did - I'm very short though so used to not being able to see much of the stage! People who have their phone out videoing an entire set are way more annoying.

Edited by glitterstorm

I'm pretty sure if you never had a clear view to start with then you wouldn't be able to miss it.

Not to entirely dismiss shorter folk's opinion on this matter, and even to say I appreciate it might well be better for them with more to look at but it's a big pain for those of us who can see the stages all the time at other gigs/festivals/stages

23 hours ago, Nutella Versace said:

Ban tall people wearing wide brimmed hats

Let's just have a short person viewing platform right at the front. Anyone under 5'4 is immediately ushered to the front for a nice unobstructed view. 

And guys. If you're 100 ft tall do not push in front of 2 short girls and obstruct there view. Seriously happened to me so many times. If you stand behind me you literally won't even see my hands if I throw them in the air. 

3 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

You could do what the 'help for heroes' flag dick did, use cable ties to tie it to the security barrier so he didn't  have the inconvenience of having to hold it, was able to sit in his chair and cause other people trying to get through the crowd problems, what a hero. 

5 hours ago, faymondo said:

On the plus side if somebody is holding a flag at least they struggle to hold a mobile phone up as well. They get in the way far more at eye line view. 

You are either near the front in which case its happy days or further back and looking at TV screens. 

Not overly arsed if a flag gets in the way of a minuscule Nile Rodgers for a bit and just avert my eyes to the screens. 

But then you go a bit further back than that and the flags in your eyeline to the screens.