Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, prestonmike said:

and a screen outside John Peel, so the people outside can see when it's too busy to get in the tent i might just be imagining this but i'm sure there used to be one?

Yeah I meant outside things. It's so annoying not being able to see when it's rammed inside the tents 

40 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Yeah..thats sort of the point of this thread..i don't expect these to happen, just a bit of fun really.

BTW I'm only 30 so not exactly an old fudger, yet...just noticed in the last few years big groups for 16 year old kids smashed out of their face. I wouldn't say it ruins it for but just a bit of an annoyance.

You might just be getting older, it recent years I may have been guilty of thinking similar things about groups of so called yoofs only to discover they are well into their twenties! :) 

All performers in the main stages should play as live as possible.

Had the misfortune of seeing Wiley on Saturday. He had a dj pressing play on a cd stood behind him while he stood there rapping mc'ing over his own tunes. The worse part is that they did not even play instrumentals, he was actually rapping over the top of his own vocals. It was utterly pointless. He could have just left the cd playing. 

Shit like that should not be on a main stage.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

All performers in the main stages should play as live as possible.

Had the misfortune of seeing Wiley on Saturday. He had a dj pressing play on a cd stood behind him while he stood there rapping mc'ing over his own tunes. The worse part is that they did not even play instrumentals, he was actually rapping over the top of his own vocals. It was utterly pointless. He could have just left the cd playing. 

Shit like that should not be on a main stage.

Why?

How do you think the backing music was made in the first place?!

Grindcore, metal, extreme music shouldn't be on small stages in hidden places it should be on John Peel stage.

More TV coverage not less, every band on every stage, give small bands the access that you give already large bands to having viewers.

Shrink or reform Green Futures area, once upon a time these were radical ideas on the fringes and it made sense to have them represented by fringe peoples. Now they are mainstream, that is magnificent,but we don't need a recycled solar powered bus playing folk music to sell solar panels to us, we need details on how, why, where of getting them on our house. We need car manufacturers showing their green initiatives.  Sure this is not the anti-capitalist message they also want to sell you, but are they more serious about the environment or their group identity at this point?  Greenpeace area is doing it right imho.

Have less fucking stages, dance area doesn't need seven stages if four of them are half empty all the time. Maybe by having less stages they could pay the artists a bit more?

A better route from Park to JP and JP to West Holts (not sure how the latter would work tbh, but that isn't my job, unless they want it to be, Emily call me).

But frankly it was one of the best year's of Glastonbury ever for me, and it is great to see all the little improvements they have been doing and I'm sure they will be having a debrief and look towards what to improve next time (as I do with my own events and I'm sure everyone else does too :D ).

The range of ages at Glastonbury was one of the first things I liked about the festival when I started going. I was used to the likes of Witness/Oxegen (Irish) festivals which seemed mostly people in their late teens and early twenties gettin wasted and just an annoying atmosphere a lot of the time. Going to Glasto and seeing older couples and people with kids was refreshing! Added to how laid back the festival was compared to the Likes of Witness/Oxegen. 

No Sunday tickets, having to walk round Sheeran fans was hellish in that packed field. 

Put Thursday acts on big stages, have never got into Williams Green to see the Smyths which is ridiculous. Give them a chance on those stages and us a chance to see them. 

West Holts. IMHO is the worst area at the festival. Impossible to get near the front past the Toffee Apple cider kids. Totally flat so unable to see anything. 

9 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Why?

How do you think the backing music was made in the first place?!

Mate it was crap. It was not backing music. If they had played the instrumentals with space for him to rap then fair enough. It was not though, he was rapping over himself. It was just utterly pointless. 

I seen dj's amaze me with superb technical skills over the weekend, vocalists with voices like angels and musicians who were out of this world. Then I seen Wiley play his cd and shout his name out a few times. It was just utterly pointless.

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

. Then I seen Wiley play his cd and shout his name out a few times. It was just utterly pointless.

Does no one remember 2013? Why Glastonbury would have him back, or why he'd want to be there, or anyone want to see him is beyond me. 

IMG_3607.JPG

One of his special tweets in 2013

Edited by bsolxiv

7 minutes ago, bsolxiv said:

West Holts. IMHO is the worst area at the festival. Impossible to get near the front past the Toffee Apple cider kids. 

I always find it a doddle to get really close.  We arrived about 2 minutes before Justice started and wound up in the front centre sweet spot with (relative) ease.

15 minutes ago, bsolxiv said:

No Sunday tickets, having to walk round Sheeran fans was hellish in that packed field. 

Put Thursday acts on big stages, have never got into Williams Green to see the Smyths which is ridiculous. Give them a chance on those stages and us a chance to see them. 

West Holts. IMHO is the worst area at the festival. Impossible to get near the front past the Toffee Apple cider kids. Totally flat so unable to see anything. 

Agree about the Smyths, wanted to see them too but WG was absolutely packed and it just didn't seem worth it. This is the thing that annoys me about Thursdays at Glastonbury, I get excited about all the acts I want to see but they are always roadblocked.

some kind of taxi service at Pennards hill, absolute killer for me trying to get to my tent which meant  I couldn't drop off bits and bobs in the evening , it's the one thing why I maybe can't  go again ... the pain I was in was a nightmare 

Stop stalls dishing out illegal fivers late at night, happened twice and once at WV... arseholes 

8 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

There should be a line along the pyramid field where you should be allowed to take chairs. Just makes it harder for everyone to get around 

I think there are certainly parts where they shouldn't be allowed. Like the bit at the top of the field approaching from the JP side. There are people camped out in rows of chairs and huge picnic blankets, then they get all eggy when people are constantly cutting past them to get to the middle of the field. if you insist on camping out right by a thoroughfare on the biggest stage at the biggest festival in the world then you're going to get people wanting to get past you!

Explain to me what i need to do so that i dont get put in pink car parking....

i would reduce the numbers slightly & some people doing the lineup timings needs to seriously think again why they are putting acts on the wrong stages. I dont care about any of them but they have a knock on effect to others trying to get around the site or see other acts:

killers that was stupid should have been other stage minimum.

liam G and rag n bone man should have been pyramid. 

Or if they are having secret sets, do a better job of keeping them secret! A good example of how to do this was craig david in stonebridge, under a pseudonym that if you're clever & care about the act you will decipher and if not you wont.

Abandon local tickets on Sunday. People from the outskirts are not disaffected. Those impacted are already compensated. Frome is humping West Wiltshire like a stray dog with a disease. 

Lose this fucking relentless focus on dance music from midnight onwards. Let's see some of the morning main stage type acts reflected in late night. Bring on the blues. Bring on the jazz. Let's have some spoken word after hours. 

Piss on the ground and get caught twice? So long. Log offenders via a wristband number database.  

Swap West Holts and John Peel. Or shift main stages around a bit. I sacrificed London Grammar because the walk from JP to WH was too much. It struck me that JP is out on its own as a main stage. The solution seems to be greater diversity and less clusters. 

Public service announcements are sorely lacking. I pity the poor bastards who queued up in the 35 degree heat with absolutely no direction whatsoever on Wednesday this year. Similarly when incidents occur on site, we're left to lone stewards who realise people need to know what's going on to take it upon themselves to let the crowds know. That's not good enough. 

More Camplight style pre pitched areas, maybe designate a popular area like Pennards as all pre pitched. Controversial, as per thread title. I figure it'd mean less crap being left behind and, perhaps, designating a popular field would mean some folk might travel lighter and leave less behind. 

The age thing is mad glastonbury is about educating youngsters ... and a bit of learning from them . I enjoy chatting to them around the campsites and helping them if they need it .. yes some might get a little carried away at times but we have all done it .. and maybe learnt from it