Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

On 26/06/2017 at 7:40 PM, eastynh said:

All performers in the main stages should play as live as possible.

Had the misfortune of seeing Wiley on Saturday. He had a dj pressing play on a cd stood behind him while he stood there rapping mc'ing over his own tunes. The worse part is that they did not even play instrumentals, he was actually rapping over the top of his own vocals. It was utterly pointless. He could have just left the cd playing. 

Shit like that should not be on a main stage.

What were you actually expecting????

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I'd probably give up on the SE corner entirely. Expand Silver Hayes out into bits of Woodsies and/or Oxylers with Block 9, The Temple and Hell Stage. Let it finish at 3am like Silver Hayes because that's actually fine now the headliners finish at midnight. Or finish the headliners at 11pm every night instead of just Sunday. Use the space for something new and not dance focused.

Jog on granddad... 3am is not fine.

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Jog on granddad... 3am is not fine.

Why? Shangri-La finishes around 5am right? And that was when the main stages finished at 1am, so 4 hours after. So headliners finishing at 11 and Shangri-La finishing at 3am would be exactly the same.

You little piece of piss.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Why? Shangri-La finishes around 5am right? And that was when the main stages finished at 1am, so 4 hours after. So headliners finishing at 11 and Shangri-La finishing at 3am would be exactly the same.

Because how late I want to stay up having fun has absolutely nothing to do with when headliners finish.

AND when exactly did main stages finish at 1am?  Not in my memory...

Quite happy to be called little though for the first time in decades!

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What kind of shit logic is that? 

People want to party for as long as possible, not for x amount of hours after the headliners.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

What did the 'All the late night areas are dance music, which I dislike' folk think of the reggae stage?

Or Glasto Latino.  Or Strummerville.  Or Cineramageddon. Or the Rabbit Hole. Or Sensation Seekers.  Or Cabaret...

Edited by GrumpyRaver

2 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

What were you actually expecting????

Maybe the dj mixing or scratching. Possibly live recreations of his tunes, couple of synths and someone triggering drum loops via ableton. Stuff like that is not hard to do. What he did was pathetic.

Just now, eastynh said:

Maybe the dj mixing or scratching. Possibly live recreations of his tunes, couple of synths and someone triggering drum loops via ableton. Stuff like that is not hard to do. What he did was pathetic.

You don't watch much grime do you?  This really shouldn't be a surprise.

ALSO, do that mean that Kanye was a total waste of time too and shouldn't have been let near the Pyramid?

Just now, DeanoL said:

They all finish before 3am except Cineramageddon. Which is apparently too early.

Mixing up two different strands of debate here, aren't you?  That was in response to the 'all late night areas are dance areas' bollocks.  My opposition to a blanket 3am finish comes from not being boring and wanting to actually have some fun for as much of the short time I'm on the Farm every year.  And the fact that there isn't a decent club in the land that closes at 3am.

3 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

You don't watch much grime do you?  This really shouldn't be a surprise.

ALSO, do that mean that Kanye was a total waste of time too and shouldn't have been let near the Pyramid?

What Wiley did was abysmal. It was not even a live PA. I have seen all the old rave legends make more of an effort than he did. 

I am all for giving grime its spot. Yet I do not think a bloke pressing play on a cd player and someone shouting over the top of his own records deserves a peak spot on a major stage at Glastonbury. Compare what Wiley served up to Joe Goddard.

Edited by eastynh

Just now, eastynh said:

What Wiley did was abysmal. It was not even a live PA. I have seen all the old rave legends make more of an effort than he did. 

I am all for giving grime its spot. Yet I do not think a bloke pressing play on a cd player and someone shouting over the top of his own records deserves a peak spot on a major stage at Glastonbury. Compare what Wiley served up compared to Joe Goddard.

Wiley and Joe Goddard are totally different genres.  Compare Wiley to his peers.  Or just ban grime from Glastonbury... Which is obviously ridiculous.

Just now, GrumpyRaver said:

Wiley and Joe Goddard are totally different genres.  Compare Wiley to his peers.  Or just ban grime from Glastonbury... Which is obviously ridiculous.

Regardless of the genres they both produce electronic music. No one is saying ban grime, can you show me where I have even eluded to that?. What I am saying is shouting over your own cd is a cop out. Joe Goddard at least attempted to make his performance as live as he possibly could. There is nothing stopping Wiley trying to recreate his tunes for a live audience. What he did was utterly abysmal and the worse performance that I have ever had the misfortune of witnessing.

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am all for giving grime its spot. Yet I do not think a bloke pressing play on a cd player and someone shouting over the top of his own records deserves a peak spot on a major stage at Glastonbury. Compare what Wiley served up to Joe Goddard.

That's like saying Jamie XX is shit because Disclosure play guitar, bass etc in their sets and he doesn't.

Grime artists always have a DJ in the background where the artists raps over their own songs. It's just how it is. Skepta does it too but because more people know his songs it's not seen as 'flat'.

Just now, rpfranks said:

That's like saying Jamie XX is shit because Disclosure play guitar, bass etc in their sets and he doesn't.

Grime artists always have a DJ in the background where the artists raps over their own songs. It's just how it is. Skepta does it too but because more people know his songs it's not seen as 'flat'.

Jamie XX is a dj and he is not getting prime spots on main stages at Glastonbury.