Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

1 minute ago, Bubblecup said:

The only thing I would like to change would be T&C opening from Wednesday evening, its a great place to chill but I only got to go earlier in the day as their was too much music I didn't want to miss

This is a great idea. I really like it over there but I never have time to do it justice thurs-sun because of all the other stuff going on. They can't run the main stages early due to sound restrictions but I think they could open T&C earlier without any issues.

Edited by sneakydave

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Bubblecup said:1

The only thing I would like to change would be T&C opening from Wednesday evening, its a great place to chill but I only got to go earlier in the day as their was too much music I didn't want to miss

Another vote for this! :) 

1 hour ago, babyblade41 said:

The price of the tickets are good value for money especially when I witnessed those who didn't have a ticket willing to pay eye watering amounts to get one, but due to the staggering amount of people ( I got the impression reading as much as I could before hand that it was easy to move about) I'd like to see a considerable rise in entry ticket price and really limit numbers.. so much I couldn't see or hear properly as the crowds were huge and was disappointed with some of the sound quality in some places .

A "considerable rise"!?!

I agree it is great value, but the price is already an issue for many for Glastonbury. I know (and have myself) people who have it instead of a holiday (etc) as it is a lot of money. The rise of the price and the addition of the offsite camping etc has changed the festival a lot int he last 10 years, I don't think an increase in the price would go any way at all in to improving the festival. However, I do agree on the point in less number.

It used to cost less and have a lower capacity, and arguably a nicer vibe. 

1 hour ago, Untz said:

Saw quite a few. Once went to the toilets behind WH and about half of the seats had shit on them somewhere. In fact, saw way more shit stained seats in general then I did usable-after-a-wipe seats in Shangri-La at night (which was approximately zero).

All the terrible toilets were long drops - composters were generally spotless with maybe just a couple of drops of piss. I don't know if it's due to design or location. 

Same! Shit everywhere this year - hence why I was hanging on for my dear life!! Been to Glasto a few times and Reading and have used more than enough long drops in my lifetime. Why the fuck would I make this shit up - 'scuse the pun. :-) 

4 hours ago, frostypaw said:

I'd like them to ditch almost the entire SE corner and Arcadia. It's not that I don't like the late night madness (I really do) but there are currently two entire near-separate festivals happening on the Glastonbury site.

What I read over the weekend is that this variety bazaar thing is going to be doing exactly that, the whole 'night life' side of the festival having it's own festival.  Maybe this might pave the way for a calmer glastonbury and a more party oriented variety bazaar in the future?

13 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

A considerable ticket price rise would mean only wealthy/rich people could attend. 

It's bad enough as it is. If anything I'd suggest trimming the size of the festival and reducing the cost.

The one suggestion I've seen in this thread I'd really get behind would be to give some proper attention to the JPT area.  It is a nice spot, the huge bar tent adds nothing to the atmosphere.  Get some decoration up, stick a screen in the central part between the 2 tent entrances and lob some small repeaters up to encourage people to chill outside the tent.  Making it into an open air venue might also work, but it's up on the hill and the sound bleed across the site would then become another issue to deal with.

17 minutes ago, nixxxnaxxx said:

Same! Shit everywhere this year - hence why I was hanging on for my dear life!! Been to Glasto a few times and Reading and have used more than enough long drops in my lifetime. Why the fuck would I make this shit up - 'scuse the pun. :-) 

Same reason as always - to excuse hovering.

Been doing this for many many years now - never had to hover. What's the magical thing that's different for these people who have to hover? The person who's hovering and that's all.

28 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

A considerable ticket price rise would mean only wealthy/rich people could attend. 

you'd be surprised at who would pay the price to get in and not just the wealthy especially one student who was quite willing to sell their soul and got scammered twice... I think 325 is a reasonable price for a 5 day event but bring the numbers down... if it's a festival for all then even the less able bodied should be able to get round without having to be totally tussled .

I was on a FB forum and one lad had his wheelchair buckled when some idiot and mates ploughed into him 

15 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

you'd be surprised at who would pay the price to get in and not just the wealthy especially one student who was quite willing to sell their soul and got scammered twice... I think 325 is a reasonable price for a 5 day event but bring the numbers down... if it's a festival for all then even the less able bodied should be able to get round without having to be totally tussled .

I was on a FB forum and one lad had his wheelchair buckled when some idiot and mates ploughed into him 

I don't doubt people would pay more. Don't doubt it at all. But clearly the model worked before in having less numbers and a lower price.

9 minutes ago, babyblade41 said:

I think at £325 I probably wouldn't go, just think it's too much for a festival, especially given ones in Europe are a third of the price and you get a holiday thrown in. 

Yeah £325 would price me out too and I have a decently paying job in London. It's actually at the cusp of what I'd be willing to pay now, given that there are plenty of other option for much less money. And I love the place.

Agree they could reduce the numbers a bit. Yes that would make it harder to get tickets but I think it's unrealistic to expect to get them every year now. 

Yeah I wouldn't be coming at £325 - would just be full of toffs.

This "let's price people out, that'll help" thing is just utterly bonkers Conservative thinking. What so students and people on lower wages just don't deserve to go?

Either that or it's complete ignorance of how people's lives and finances are outside of folk's normal social circles. The eavii's have gone to great lengths to try and keep the price down but I guess some folk really don't get it or the festival at all

Less boom tit boom after hours and some more Drum and Bass. Everywhere apart from a few venues were playing repetitive minimal house and it got to me. Almost was as if I was at Awakenings Festival but with shit music. 

The chairs, these fold up chairs seem to be a huge issue at all events nowadays. Ban them from the front to the repeaters for safety of the crowd. 

Don't change the price please please, too many rich kids and coke heads already thank you. 

Liking the idea of ejecting piss on fencers, would cap it easily. 

17 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

I don't doubt people would pay more. Don't doubt it at all. But clearly the model worked before in having less numbers and a lower price.

It worked before when everything else cost less too. Do the people that supply the stages and the security companies charge the same as they did 10 years ago? I wouldn't want numbers to be reduced and the ticket price put up. If nothing else, what message would that give to people that have never been? It's now a lot harder and more expensive to go to Glastonbury, we hope you still try for tickets though! Equally you can't reduce numbers and the price as the festival would no longer be viable.

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

It worked before when everything else cost less too. Do the people that supply the stages and the security companies charge the same as they did 10 years ago? I wouldn't want numbers to be reduced and the ticket price put up. If nothing else, what message would that give to people that have never been? It's now a lot harder and more expensive to go to Glastonbury, we hope you still try for tickets though! Equally you can't reduce numbers and the price as the festival would no longer be viable.

The guy said "put the price up bring the numbers down". I said "don't put the price up" an "that previously it cost less and there were less" and the festival was better for it (sorry, but it was in my view). Didn't say that this the way forward at any point. Or atleast I don't think I did?

1 hour ago, sneakydave said:

This is a great idea. I really like it over there but I never have time to do it justice thurs-sun because of all the other stuff going on. They can't run the main stages early due to sound restrictions but I think they could open T&C earlier without any issues.

We made a conscious effort to do some gift shopping and watch some of the T&C on Sunday before we went to Barry Gibb, it was an amazing afternoon just wondering around laughing and smiling, great natural remedy for a hangover/comedown. 

We got some lunch and ate it sat in the big top watching some unbelievable acts 

More composting toilets, but make sure there's enough soil & scoops to keep them smell free - was camped in Oxlers and didn't have to use the long drops once (which is a result) dunno why but they seemed to be much cleaner than the LD's have ever been.

Sort out the band scheduling better to reduce crowd churn - no way should Biffy should had been put between three "soft acts".

Make JP tent bigger or put screens outside (King tut's wah wah tent from TiTp would a be better size) possibly move it even further away from silver hayes/pyramid to reduce congestion.

Fix the sound on Other stage (or re-locate it so it works better) same goes for West holts - the sound there was terrible again this year.

make the path that runs through pyramid stage camping a thoroughfare with no stopping as trying to get from JP to West holts was a nightmare and people were getting crushed and panicking (worse still I had to endure 6 Ed songs to get across). 

No chairs or flags inside crush barrier.

How about this one I've seen at other festivals - a crush barrier that runs from the stage to sound desk - effectively stopping all cross traffic going through the main pit & forcing it to route behind the sound desk, or even further out, has added advantage of stopping people pretending they're passing through instead of pushing in.

Pre-erected tents inside festival (to try to reduce number of dumped tents on Monday).

bring back the green police and eject people that get caught pissing on the land (three strikes and your out).

9 hours ago, rpfranks said:

Locals get tickets given to them on Sunday only, it's always far busier around the main stages. 

To be perfectly clear the local Sunday tickets are not given away for free! They cost us £85.00 each so proportionally more than a three day ticket, but they do include coach collection and drop off, someone on Pilton will correct me but I think only very local i.e. In the village itself get free tickets.

as others have stated these opportunities promote good will amongst the local communities that is essential for the future of this great event.

2 hours ago, frostypaw said:

Yeah I wouldn't be coming at £325 - would just be full of toffs.

This "let's price people out, that'll help" thing is just utterly bonkers Conservative thinking. What so students and people on lower wages just don't deserve to go?

I like the suggestion that the less people earn the more likely they are to cause problems so that's why it's a solution.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It works.  It's a triumph.  You're trying to fix something that isn't broken.

This, 100%  They got it as right as they ever have this year, start to finish it all worked beautifully.  

Now, how about a knighthood for Mr E?  Massively overdue.

8 hours ago, Jasonbee said:

Stop booking secret sets as The Killers in The John Peel stage could've been deadly with that size of a crowd!

If so many big acts want to play, make the Thursday half day of music and have another headliner... Personally the festival had at least 6 headline status artists on... Whilst only actually having 3 headliners...

Stop advertising £5 Food when most of them aren't £5 for anything but chips LOL

So many good points here. A few times I spent ages looking at a menu that stated £5 food only to conclude it must just be the chips.

Also echo Fowls point RE: making JP an open air stage. Seems very doable. That space outside the tent is completely wasted. If not that then at least some screens and speakers so people who can't get in can still enjoy. Haim could have easily been swapped to JP and Killers on the Other Stage. I really had to question a lot of the line up placements this year, Glastonbury do a lovely job at everything but this really was a shambles at times.

6 minutes ago, JamboNelly said:

Get shot of Williams Green.

At least on the Wednesday and Thursday.

Open JP stage on those days and have acts play there instead.

Always ridiculous crush 

I agree with this, although there are sound level issues. As long as it was made clear anything in the JP on Thursday wont be as loud as it would be on the Friday (save idiots moaning about it thinking it's deliberate) then that could work.

On 2017-6-26 at 6:50 PM, One Tonne Baby said:
  • Make the festival over 21s only. (please don't kill me)

Yeah let's exclude a certain group of people but of course only if it doesn't include you. Get fucked. All 3 years I've been under 21, I dunno who you think you are saying I shouldn't have been allowed to go.