Your (potentially) Contraversial Changes to Glasto

One Tonne Baby

My changes would be;

Bigger space for the Other Stage as crowds for acts like Rag n Bone Man were too big for the space given...

Move the other stage further away from the Pyramid as the congestion between acts was deadly especially when dickheads start shoving through!

Stop booking secret sets as The Killers in The John Peel stage could've been deadly with that size of a crowd!

If so many big acts want to play, make the Thursday half day of music and have another headliner... Personally the festival had at least 6 headline status artists on... Whilst only actually having 3 headliners...

Stop advertising £5 Food when most of them aren't £5 for anything but chips LOL

Stricter security, far too many underage people had alcohol acting like complete tools due to alcohol and drugs... Personally I like a drink but I'm of legal age...   also drugs are for mugs, but if people can be normal without causing trouble on drugs then it doesn't bother me lol

Final point; any 'ISIS' extremist could've got into that festival; we did not get checked by anybody entering the festival

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Children's toilets - I saw quite a few parents taking their children to pee in the bushes or against walls. I get that long drops must be difficult with young children and urinals are too tall, so make some special toilets around the main stages. 

Ban flags or chairs in the golden circle - if you want to bring a flag keep it out of the front area. Flags on the front row are just silly. The flags don't make a difference when you're further back, but if you're close enough to see the stage, it would be nice to be able to see the stage. 

One way systems in the major routes - The traffic (especially between Other and Pyramid) seems to be caused by people in both directions pushing against each other, or a few people walking against a mass crowd of people. If paths are split like a road with walking on the left I think it'd be a lot smoother.

Ban stores/bars by the stages from playing music during sets - the bar by JP and stores/bars by West Holts are the main offenders. These areas could easily hold more people who could hear the stage music fine if it wasn't for the interference from stereos. If they want music when nothing is on that's fine, but why play a CD when a band is playing a few hundred metres away. 

Take out the bar from JP - that whole field could be used for a crowd, seems ridiculous to use up so much for a bar. Keep the bar on the other side of the bushes.

Make JP open air - The time has come. It has the area for it now it's been moved. If they want to make each stage look different, then give it another Acardia emblem to put on the top.  Maybe the emblems could maintain a similar theme reach year to make it easier.  

Provide shade/rain cover on the Wednesday and Thursday by Other, Pyramid, and Park areas - this year was crazy for shade on Wednesday.  People were hiding in the flag shadows!! You could pretty much tell where shade was by where people sat huddled together.  Yet the tent stages were all closed off, taunting everyone to see how far they could push sitting beyond the red tape.  The sun was glorious but after a few hours I just wanted to cool off, but there was nowhere to go.  When you can't even hide in your own (boiling hot) tent then there's a serious problem.  Put up some temporary gazebos in the main open air areas, and then take them down Thursday night.

20000 less peeps. 

Vary the site a bit. It does get terribly "samey". 

For sample why not swap JP and Acoustic round every other year? It's become such a mission to go from one side of the site to another would help East campers like me see more variety..... but yeah, first world problem. 

Sound issues need sorting. West holts actually sounded better from the hammocks than between the speakers. Felt sorry for The Jacksons who were barely audible. 

I took my nearly two year old, kept him to the kids field and theatre/green fields. Kept him well away from main areas and choke points. So to the guy above implying anybody who's brings kids needs to have a word with themselves: wind your neck in, or petition the Eavii to get rid of the kids field and ban under 13's.

Was a cool festival. Very very different with kids: no running off for secret sets etc, but just as rewarding in different ways. And, we now have Iplayer, so jobs a good'un

Edited by Ohinever

7 minutes ago, fowls said:

Ban stores/bars by the stages from playing music during sets - the bar by JP and stores/bars by West Holts are the main offenders. These areas could easily hold more people who could hear the stage music fine if it wasn't for the interference from stereos. If they want music when nothing is on that's fine, but why play a CD when a band is playing a few hundred metres away. 

YES! ... I love with all my heart the Tiny Tea Tent in Greenpeace, but when people are playing on the stage there it would be perfect if they turned off the music in the tent.  And yes the same at West Holts.

Oh and whilst I'm here :

Friday:
Radiohead
The xx
The National

Saturday
Foo Fighters
Biffy Clyro
Royal Blood

Sunday
Ed Sheeran
Katy Perry
Chic

I know it can be desirable to mix up the styles, because then you get the 'hilarious' shot of someone with long hair and a Foo Fighters tshirt dancing to Katy Perry, which is just so Glaso yah?. However what you also get is a bunch of disinterested people waiting for something they do like to come on stage (which also exacerbates the chairpeople issue I think).  People are going to plonk themselves in front of one stage anyway waiting for the headliner.

Chairs by the main stage. There was a massive surge at the top right hand (when facing the stage) of the Pyramid Stage field before Biffy were to start. All caused by loads and loads of chairs the photo I took doesn't do it justice. Its made worse when these people make no effort to pick up their chairs when they can see large amount of peoples are trying to access the area.

Chair People.png

First Glasto - been to many others and stopped going to Bestival a few years ago due to getting too full of laughing gas/ket goons and less good a music mix (i.e Chase & Status Headlined) 

Was good but far too busy at times which didn't work well with size/walking times. A few things I that think could improve it: 

1) having set walking lines between stages, walk from other to pyramid and vice versa was awful at times due to people walking against flow of traffic, especially to Liam Gallagher and return to the National

2) Widen pedestrian routes, particularly the track route

3) Scale of festival is impressive but if somes bands v popular -  it seems like far too many people at once. 30k less tickets would probably do it well.

4) Like that parents take kids to Glasto, don't like the ***** who bring their push carts or buggies to the pyramid and your leg gets taken out by them when they're pushing through the scrum of crowds to get there. 

5) Giving out free shoe soles - my feet are knackered 

6) Take out some of the food stalls and give more space to move in

Edited by kensrue

Completely redo the Theatre / Circus fields:

Same "no act booked two years on the trot" policy the main stages have.

Replace a few of the six or seven outdoor circus stages with something else: a literature tent or alt-comedy tent.

Have actual theatre on in the theatre.

Try and actually keep up with Latitude in the non-music areas instead of just giving up and booking the street performers every year. Make the Theatre fields a reason people come to the festival (like the dance fields are now) rather than a side show.

This was my 8th Glasto and after the crazy weather we had on Wednesday it gave me some ideas.

1. Shelter points in the queues - Standing around in the sun with no rest bite was dangerous on Wednesday. There were people fainting in the queue next to us. They could have set up gazebos at various points in the queue, especially in the zigzag at Gate A.

2. Family fast lane - Families with children queuing in that heat was mental. They have lanes set out for re-entry and exit, why not have one for families? or have a separate entry point on each side for families.

3. Chairs in front of the surge barrier at Pyramid - It was annoying that people were camped inside the pit. Trying to jump about during Biffy while people was all sat down waiting for the ginger turnip-head was dangerous. They could put designated areas for seating a bit further back from the stage.

4. Secret acts on small stages - Got to the Killers well before they were due on and outside the JP was packed. Luckily, the shut off the area. Either they go on to a more open area or the secret needs to be kept better. Everyone knew that Elbow and the Killers were playing well before the festival.

5. Different genres before headliners - For the headline acts on the main stages they should have the 2nd and 3rd down from the same genre. The Biffy crowd at the front were all there for Ed and it felt a bit flat. Why not put Biffy on the Other and have more pop acts on before Ed? It would stop the problems with everyone trying to leave the main stage to go elsewhere and the crush that happens.

Another here who'd be VERY happy to see 30,000 fewer people. Previously it's been said it just feels too busy because it's been wet/muddy and everyone is milling around rather than chilling but this year was dry and lovely and if anything it felt even busier. 

I'd like them to ditch almost the entire SE corner and Arcadia. It's not that I don't like the late night madness (I really do) but there are currently two entire near-separate festivals happening on the Glastonbury site. There's always been a lot of variety but it's all been on at roughly the same time and everyone parties together, now there's the main day festival with it's huge range of entertainment then a night festival of clubs in fields with almost unrestricted drug action. That latter festival brings a totally different crowd who have very little interest in the day festival and just bum around, whinge about all the day stuff and wait for the DJ's to begin later - then 50,000 people all try and cram into that one corner alongside all the day folk and madness ensues.

Needs to go back a bit.... wind down earlier, reduce the number of stages in that corner dramatically and consolidate the audience a bit. 

11 hours ago, nixxxnaxxx said:

Firstly, I had the best best time and will remember for years to come! Thanks Glasto x 

I would like to see:

1. a zip wire above the railway line - The Park to Shagri-la in 10 seconds!

2. hanging hoops in the toilets for females to hang onto and hover over the piss / shite covered toilets seats. I hung onto the toilet latch for my fucking life whilst peeing.

3. emotional warning in the Poetry & Words tent , I am hard but even I was fucking moved to tears with two of the acts.

It's precisely because of people hovering that the seats get covered in piss. Wipe the seat and sit the fuck down!

Changes I'd like to see:

1. Screens outside John Peel. Please? Having the screens at West Holts has made such a difference to people's enjoyment of that stage - now it's time to do the same for John Peel so people just outside the tent (by choice or necessity) can see the bands.

2. I say this every year, but the sound at Other still needs work. A gust of wind and you can't hear a thing. I'm always a bit disappointed when an act I like is on Other as I know it's not going to be very good.

3. Put in place and enforce strict policies on bars playing their own music while acts are on. The Tolpuddle (at John Peel) was playing banging music while London Grammar were on stage, and as a result the sound bleed made it impossible to properly enjoy the band if you were outside. Similarly it was tricky to escape music bleed from Brothers Bar during the quieter parts of bands on West Holts, from Stonebridge at Park, and even from Mandela and other bars while Radiohead were on Pyramid.

4. Instant removal for pissing in hedges (and actually enforce it)

5. For the love of god, put some soap by the toilets! Gallons and gallons of hand sanitiser is no substitute for actually washing hands.

6 minutes ago, iamstreety said:

5. Different genres before headliners - For the headline acts on the main stages they should have the 2nd and 3rd down from the same genre. The Biffy crowd at the front were all there for Ed and it felt a bit flat. Why not put Biffy on the Other and have more pop acts on before Ed? It would stop the problems with everyone trying to leave the main stage to go elsewhere and the crush that happens.

Well the theory is that you want to create that churn by having different acts on. Biffy are meant to put off the Sheeran fans from camping at the Pyramid all day and vice versa. The problem is the pathways not able to handle the degree of churn they are creating.

2 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Well the theory is that you want to create that churn by having different acts on. Biffy are meant to put off the Sheeran fans from camping at the Pyramid all day and vice versa. The problem is the pathways not able to handle the degree of churn they are creating.

This isn't working though, as has been repeatedly seen.  In theory it is a good idea, but because people are selfish in practice it doesn't work .  Like communism :D

People are camping out there anyway, give them the show they want to see, it will make for a much better atmosphere at Pyramid during the undercard.

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

And subsequently if you have a combo of 3/4 different headliners and subs of a similar style with more or less the same fan-base, then that will encourage people to camp down at the Pyramid and catch a few groups / artists they like without having to move at all

Not so much a change but I thought it was a bit of a bad placing having BBK and Sheehan clash - I'm not a fan of either but making my way past the other when BBK were on and seeing the tiny crowd was a shame - as far as I'm aware they have a pretty similar fan base so could explain why I guess .

also something something stop people making passive aggressive comments when trying to get through a crowd something something something 

16 hours ago, prestonmike said:

and a screen outside John Peel, so the people outside can see when it's too busy to get in the tent i might just be imagining this but i'm sure there used to be one?

I said the exact same thing, would've been lovely to sit outside watching London Grammar on a big screen during sunset. (As it was too full to get anywhere near inside)

Get rid of Silver Hayes. This area seems to be an extreme pinch point for massive crowds, and it seems to be the source of a lot of dickheads at the festival

Get rid of "chain" food vendors, and only allow independent ones in. I noticed that A LOT of the places were exactly the same, just with a different name. They had the same menus, prices, everything... Bring back The Growler!!

More crowd control in night areas. Shangri La got so busy on Friday night that we left for our own safety. It put us off staying out in the night after that.

Give headliners of other stages headline length slots. Why only give BBK an hour up against Ed Sheeran who had an extra 30 or 40 mins. Make them start and finish at the same time.

Ban chairs within a certain radius of the stage. If you're all the way at the back, fine... But 15 rows from the front is taking the piss!

post glasto blues, everyone gettingvthier moans out.....

1. Hunter wellies, being worn as a fashion accessory in a dust bowl. Refused entry.

2. Posh "lauuundawwwn darrling" accents, refused entry.

3. Seats in busy stage areas, allowed to kick over.

4. When im ready to goto sleep, all amplified music to stop.

Apart from that, carry on regardless.

This thread shows how everyone sees it differently with people wamting a reduction in numbers. I thought it was absolutely fine, sure theres always a well managed risk when too many end up in same place, i never seen any problems.

Reduce tickets and youll make it harder to get too, a lot more expensive and even less inclusive as it alreadi is with rising costs. Its already a struggle for many to afford and need to keep it affordable as possible to all.

13 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

Not so much a change but I thought it was a bit of a bad placing having BBK and Sheehan clash - I'm not a fan of either but making my way past the other when BBK were on and seeing the tiny crowd was a shame - as far as I'm aware they have a pretty similar fan base so could explain why I guess .

also something something stop people making passive aggressive comments when trying to get through a crowd something something something 

Also odd having Kano on at the park finishing at 10 when BBK start at 10.15, everyone knows it's more than a 15 minute walk in crowds from the Park to Other.

22 minutes ago, garc1a said:

3. Seats in busy stage areas, allowed to kick over.

getting to Corbyn from JP, a wall of clowns sat down. I asked. They sat and shouted. I lost my glastonbury spirit and kicked the leg from one of the chairs. Let them know that there were about 2k of us heading through them and they'd better move. Got a cheer from the people around me. Sitting clowns stopped shouting at me. Job done.