Food offer 2017

RickW

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a dosa from the South Indian street food place in Williams green. So good I went back and persuaded my friends to go too. (Looks a bit burnt in this pic but wasn't) 

honourable mentions to HapiMaki vegan sushi and the vegan burger from half man half burger near John peel. Overall excellent food this year!  

IMG_5784.JPG

My favourite is also wholefood heavens buddah box - every year I do a soecial search for them and let the guys serving know how much I love them, they are always very grateful and flattered. This year did not disappoint.

Love the wyke farm stilton toasties!

The bhangra bus does a beautiful thali and a group of us had a good sit down curry together which was lovely.

Also did deluxe diner two course meal this year for the first time this year. Was it worth £35? Food wise probably not but to sit down with friends to a table, listen to music and drink frozen daquiris was good times!

Low points - went to the stall opposite no bones jones for a veggie burrito and it was boring and bland. I have never done no bones jones but seeing the comments, it is clear that I missed a great opportunity!

Highlights were the dosa from Deli Dosa near the pyramid, mezze platter in the park, curry wrap thing from Ghandis flip flop, and the bakery stall in Paines (is that new?)

Low point was being charged £7.50 for a bowl of muesli, fruit and yoghurt at Manic Organic - I should have checked the price beforehand.

35 minutes ago, justperfect said:

Had a massive rib of beef with all the salad trimmings, a really nice sauce and pickled stuff from a place on the stretch of markets near the pryamid. It was a tad expensive (around £10) but the best thing I've eaten at a festival

Had that myself and loved it. Was where the Yeo Valley stall used to be. 

Big shout out to the little brekkie flatbread place in Williams Green. Had it every morning. 

12 hours ago, rpfranks said:

Food was ridiculously overpriced this year, £8-9 for a burger in some places. £5 for the smallest portion of sweet potato fries I've ever seen at some place behind Stonebridge Bar. £6 for the tiniest, driest lamb kofta pitta in Williams green. There was a good red German sausage tent on the walk from WG towards the marketplace that was £5 for a hotdog, I just ended up going there a few times. 

If its of good quality i will quite happily pay £8-£12 for a burger. Its when they claim they're of gourmet quality, when infact they're just of burger van quality, that i have an issue. All too familiar at festivals. Burger Bear were exactly what they claim to be. The owner follows me on twitter and after a chat with him he offered me one for free so i opted for his best. I think i got the bacon one. It was out of this world. The fries were decent too

2 hours ago, PurpleFire said:

Thought it was just a bar...mannn

Oh no! They'll be back next time. You have to try them. I sound like a bloody spokesperson for them lol, but I'm quite passionate about a decent burger so when i find one everyone will know about it.

34 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Had that myself and loved it. Was where the Yeo Valley stall used to be. 

Big shout out to the little brekkie flatbread place in Williams Green. Had it every morning. 

Surprised by the comments about the flatbread place. It was lovely, but so small for the price, it only lasted us around an hour and a half before we needed to eat again. We couldn't understand why they wouldn't at least make the bread a bit bigger (and keep the fillings the same) to make it a bit more filling. It wouldn't have cost them any extra to make, and we'd have eaten there more than once.

On 2017-6-26 at 7:10 PM, Prophet6 said:

The squid place near Yeoman's Bridge was good and nice folks serving.

Yea best place I ate at all weekend, if its the same one I'm thinking of, about £7 for a cone of calamari.

The Tea & Toast van in The Park was great aswell, first time I've had a genuinely nice bacon/sausage barm etc, never that bad a que aswell, as with the big sign I think most people just thought it only served tea & toast

Square Pie great as usual again.

Around 3 shite places unfortunately, 2 burger gaffs and a crumpet one near the park, £2 for 2 crumpets that wasn't as good as the standard 6 for £2 you can get in any supermarket.

Burger stall in Acadia next to cocktail bar was really nice  not your usual festival shite

Falafel place near the tiny tea  tent was good. Get one every year

Vegan Breakfast in manic organic was lovely.  

Nearly always get a wood fired pizza near the pyramid,  nice and a massive meal

The lunchbox at Peckish Peacock was banging and there was a vegan fritters place (it was next to cheesy chips but I didn't get the name) that was quite good.

Thought a lot of the food for a fiver was a bit of a joke, they'd have chips for a fiver and then an actual meal was 8-9 quid. 

£5 for a huge bowl of Bhajis from Indian street food in Williams green. But the find of the weekend was £6 for a huge 10oz burger and chips from Tor rugby club. A proper burger none of this fancy stuff just a huge slab of meat inbetween a normal floured bun topped with cheese onions relish and mustard.

10 hours ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Surprised by the comments about the flatbread place. It was lovely, but so small for the price, it only lasted us around an hour and a half before we needed to eat again. We couldn't understand why they wouldn't at least make the bread a bit bigger (and keep the fillings the same) to make it a bit more filling. It wouldn't have cost them any extra to make, and we'd have eaten there more than once.

Thats what I liked about it. Didn't put you in a food coma after a day on the sauce. Bit of spice in those chilies too. Coffee, flatbread, bloody mary and then some more food at 12 or 1 ish.

Some really great smaller plate offerings on site this year. As opposed to growler type 1980s food.  

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Finally sampled that place. The paneer dosa with coconut chutney was delish - one of the nicest things I've ever had at the fest.

However, it does seem to be the likely culprit in the case of an upset tummy that saw me having to absolutely leg it out of my tent at about 5am on the Friday morning.

Oh no. Never a good thing. Had that after a dodgy burrito at Chic in 2013. A small stomach rumble, followed by a louder one, followed by an immediate sprint to the nearest longdrop.  

Edited by The Nal

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Thats what I liked about it. Didn't put you in a food coma after a day on the sauce. Bit of spice in those chilies too. Coffee, flatbread, bloody mary and then some more food at 12 or 1 ish.

Some really great smaller plate offerings on site this year. As opposed to growler type 1980s food.

There is that, I got a dosa from the stall nearby, with rice, coconut and the biggest bhaji I'd ever seen and it knocked me sideways for a couple of hours. Still think the flatbreads were too small like :)

Also new to me was the African place next to the Goan Fish Curry stall. What was a bit odd though is the veggie option was the same as the chicken one, just with the chicken drumstick removed. You'd have thought they'd have replaced it with something else since it was the same price! Delicious though.

Never made the breakfast menu in time at No Bones Jones, but did partake in their Puerto Rican stew with fritters for breakfast a couple of times, that was great. But NBJ has always been a favourite (as is the paella place in WG and pizza place next to the Tiny Tea Tent).

The thai curry place next to NBJ was also nice, however the portion of chicken was laughable. Tonnes or rice, enough sauce to cover (and very tasty) but only 3 mouthfuls of chicken for around £8.

The run of places right of West Holts have surely got to be the most consistent section of the festival. Tastes of Africa, Got Game and Goan Fish Curry.

But overall No Bones Jones have got to be the best for me - got that a couple of times. 

Also really enjoyed the veggie breakfast from the Thali Cafe in craft/healing fields. Just wish I had discovered it before the Sunday.

Bangkok Street Food Platter: £10: 2 different curries, 2 different rice, duck roll, tempura prawn and two wraps... incredible. Couldn't tell you where it was, left off the railway track quite far up before the SE Corner. No photo either cos I ate it too quick :/

2 hours ago, Chipbarm said:

£5 for a huge bowl of Bhajis from Indian street food in Williams green. But the find of the weekend was £6 for a huge 10oz burger and chips from Tor rugby club. A proper burger none of this fancy stuff just a huge slab of meat inbetween a normal floured bun topped with cheese onions relish and mustard.

I always make a trip to the Tor Rugby Club van every year at least once for the breakfast bap. 2 sausage, 2 bacon and 1 egg in large bap plus a tea or coffee for £5. I also went for the £5 10oz burger. Huge and half the price of some places. £1 extra to add chips. They are always in same place every year and the breakfast bap has only increased in price by 50p in 4 years!

Edited by Sea Glass

21 hours ago, Eddzz!! said:

There was a place at West Holts next door to the B'Bar. Yellow caravan with bright yellow lightbulbs around the outside. It did the most awesome chilli con carne and pulled pork with chips topped with nachos and cheese. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it!

Piggy Smalls? It's always a highlight of my festival.

Best Food - Piggy Smalls or Wham Bam Tikka.

Worst food - The italian in the park next to Square Pie. £8.50 for boil in the bag pasta, tomato sauce and tiny meatballs. It wasn't a bad meal if it was £2. At £8.50 I felt robbed.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop