Surprises

Matt42

I seen a DJ called JFB @ the Clash stage on Thursday night. Not sure what type of music he as playing, it was kind of dnb/dub step. Have to say he absolutely blew me away. I have not seen a dj that talented for years. To scratch and beat juggle like he did while still managing to get a crowd going was just unreal. It was an absolutely unreal set. Not one dj came anywhere close to being as skilled as he was over the rest of the weekend.

I also saw Paul Carrack after Hacienda Classical on the pyramid. What an superb musician and vocalist. I am so glad that I stayed to see him and did not wander off else where.

Edited by eastynh

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hamilton Leithauser and Father John Misty for me. Both are acts who I like a few songs but wasn't so keen on full albums but both sets were fantastic, the latter's was my second favourite of the weekend after Radiohead. As mentioned before yer man Hamilton has some voice on him.

4 minutes ago, zico martin said:

yes good call, and i shed my first tears of the festival at Emmylou :)

The harmonies for the chorus of Waitress song was when I first got a bit watery eyed and it pretty much stayed that way!

How good does the chord progression on 'You are the Problem' sound live?  I was air guitaring my heart out!

Been trying to work out what she's doing because there's no accurate tab online.

Edited by Wilfko

46 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

How good does the chord progression on 'You are the Problem' sound live?  I was air guitaring my heart out!

When Klara explained the inspiration behind that song everyone went deadly silent, it sent a shiver down my spine.  It was a brilliant set too

5 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

One of the surprises for me were the Moonlandingz.  What a visual performance from the band and Johnny Rocket in particular. Came on stage with his head wrapped in clingfilm, and usual red paint all over, was sick as he started, but delivered a mesmerising performance, supported by an excellent band. 

Their set doesn't to have been mentioned much on here, did anyone else catch them?

I saw them and loved it. It's a great album so was hoping for a good set. They're a great band with Johnny as the wild card. Never seen anyone be sick on stage before but fair dues he kept going and put in a great performance. Doubt he remembers any of it.

4 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

Haktivist in Shangri-La - loved it

I was there for that

Was excellent although feel like ive done 12 rounds with Mike Tyson today after the mosh pit! 

Frank Carter was surprisingly good. Had heard a few of his tunes and thought they were decent but it was such a high energy performance and he got the crowd going well, perfect act for a crowd full of fans waiting for the Killers to get on stage.

Biffy Clyro were my surprise disappointment. Love them to bits, one of my favourite bands, but I think I'm pretty fatigued from them playing the same setlist for the last year (although I should've probably expected this). Also think they dropped the wrong songs, would've gotten rid of Re-Arrange and arguably 9/15ths and kept Wee Man and Justboy/57. Crowd was pretty poor for the most part which might have played a factor too.

Orchestra Baobab on the Pyramid and Canalon de Timbique at the Gully were immensely danceable. Very glad I managed to get myself up early enough for them!

Craig David was an unexpected highlight.

And finally Boy Better Know, which I decided on seeing as I just wasn't that convinced about Justice (sorry, and I do love the first album) were amazing. Felt like I was back in London. Just a shame that I actually am back in London right now.

3 minutes ago, Rylbld9 said:

Biffy Clyro were my surprise disappointment. Love them to bits, one of my favourite bands, but I think I'm pretty fatigued from them playing the same setlist for the last year (although I should've probably expected this). Also think they dropped the wrong songs, would've gotten rid of Re-Arrange and arguably 9/15ths and kept Wee Man and Justboy/57. Crowd was pretty poor for the most part which might have played a factor too.

I was umming and ahhing over seeing Biffy but decided against it for all the reasons you've listed. Looked at the setlist afterwards and don't feel like I missed much, even if they did apparently put on a good performance (or so I've heard people say).

Edited by FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I was umming and ahhing over seeing Biffy but decided against it for all the reasons you've listed. Looked at the setlist afterwards and don't feel like I missed much, even if they did apparently put on a good performance (or so I've heard people say).

They played well by all means, not going to fault them for that, but it was definitely one of the more forgettable sets overall for me.

Accidentally ended up catching Wheel of Four Tunes on Saturday night and decided to stay as I recall somebody on here saying they were great. Was not expecting that - just four guys in Power Ranger outfits calling people retards and playing shit indie music. Not sure whether I loved it or hated it :lol:

Craig David, went for the nostalgia but ended up enjoying him more than I thought and surprisingly remembered most of the words despite not hearing them for 15 odd years.

Hamilton Leithauser wanted to see him as I like a few songs by The Walkmen, but hadn't listened to his solo stuff so didn't know what to expect, but he was great and I'll definitely check out the album.

Rats on Rafts caught a bit of them before Thurston in William's Green, but liked what I heard. Heard the name before but never listened to their songs.

I was suffering with a hangover that, under ordinary circumstances would have had me bed ridden, but I dragged myself out of my shame pit for Moonlandingz, and I'm glad I did!

Great, dirty tunes, played with real intensity, definite new fave!

I even managed to hold the vomit down until the set was over!

9 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Accidentally ended up catching Wheel of Four Tunes on Saturday night and decided to stay as I recall somebody on here saying they were great. Was not expecting that - just four guys in Power Ranger outfits calling people retards and playing shit indie music. Not sure whether I loved it or hated it :lol:

Was brilliant how they were mocking people in the queue for the SE corner, it didn't move for their whole set! 

20 hours ago, garc1a said:

Theatre and circus stole it for me, spent loads of time there. Even spent best part of 30 mins walking around as an "air fish" with a group of others thanks to this man in the photo... 

Talking of which, does anyone know his name? I could swear i recognise him from a childrens tv show but i just cant place it. Help appreciated!

Er him on the left... Thats my ugly coupon on the right.

20170625_160209.jpg

That's Jonathan Kay. He does a slot every Fri, Sat,. Sun from the Astrolabe. He's tremendous fun.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Best surprise all weekend was the avalanches, was not expecting that one at all.

Lorde was brilliant and I hung around for Major Lazer (out of curiosity) but I was really amazed at how the energy gripped our group and we had fun jumping for an hour before heading to the glade.

8 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

That's Jonathan Kay. He does a slot every Fri, Sat,. Sun from the Astrolabe. He's tremendous fun.

Thank you, it was the highlight of my glasto. Had so much fun, belly laughs and was a great way of meeting new people. Top geezer!

11 hours ago, Rylbld9 said:

Frank Carter was surprisingly good. Had heard a few of his tunes and thought they were decent but it was such a high energy performance and he got the crowd going well, perfect act for a crowd full of fans waiting for the Killers to get on stage.

Biffy was decent where I was standing, easily one of the weekends best. I didn't like the new songs much but you can't like every song and I don't want a Download set at Glastonbury.