Surprises

Matt42

Confidence Man - went because they are part of Heavenly records. But never heard them or seen them. So much energy and the girl is completely mesmerising.

Mike Skinner doing Fit But You Know It and Weak Become Heroes in the rum shack. They usually play streets songs but he never raps them.

Jeremy Corbyn - I love the guy but that was something else. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, buddiepaul said:

One of the surprises for me were the Moonlandingz.  What a visual performance from the band and Johnny Rocket in particular. Came on stage with his head wrapped in clingfilm, and usual red paint all over, was sick as he started, but delivered a mesmerising performance, supported by an excellent band. 

Their set doesn't to have been mentioned much on here, did anyone else catch them?

Yeah they were fantastic! Security kill joyed the set slightly after about the 5th song, telling everyone in the middle to calm down.. Bizarre stuff. 

3 hours ago, El Matador said:

confidence man at Williams green - went to see them based on a 30 second YouTube clip, they were the most fun set of the weekend. Not a huge crowd but everyone was dancing from start to finish.

Never heard of these before, but just happened to be grooving in the CN when they came on Thursday. My god! Funky stuff.. Loved it that much I went to see them on Friday as well :D

4 hours ago, fowls said:

London Grammar for sure, one of those bands I had never bothered to check out before. That voice is incredible! 

And Foos for *all* the talking, and pretty much everything about the set being a lesson in what not to do whilst headlining. It should have been renamed the Dave Grohl chat show. AND DON'T SAY YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY UNTIL THEY CHUCK YOU OFF STAGE, THEN OVERRUN THE TIME SLOT WITH JUST 20 SONGS!!! Radiohead had a shorter running time with 25 songs, and the average RH song time is way more than the average for Foos. They used to only give 2 or 3 songs the long jam treatment, but it seemed like every song was interrupted by talking and/or a tedious jam.

Props to Dave for recognising that they don't play Wheels much because no one likes it. Maybe that's a good reason to never play it ever again?

I used to be a massive fan of Foos in the late 90s/early 00s, but they've gone full on head-first-plummet era Queen now (which is kinda fitting for all the bloody Queen they played). 

I'd go as far as to say that the Foos were the second worst headliner I've ever seen, beaten only by Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading 2007 (and they looked like they were going to punch each other on stage!). Such a shame when they really blew Wembley Stadium out of the water.

Yeah I remember rhcp at reading, they were terrible. I'm not a fan of the Foos buy my friend went just as he'd never seen them before and basically said what you just wrote. Sounded awful and happy I went to the Jacksons.

Also, Afroquoi were wicked, started with barely a hundred people in the field but flooded it with people as soon as people realised how good it was. RTJ were awesome, King Gizzard, Chic, Rationale, the XX, all awesome. 

I also second that Katy Perry playef too many new songs in between. It was to up an down, and got slowed down a lot. Shame

27 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

The Lemon Twigs were fucking fantasic also. I tried the album sometime but didn't take it seriously at all. Seeing them perform it live totally transformed my opinion. Then we sat and listened to them outside the Crows Nets (i think?) on Friday night.

Did the same having walked from Radiohead to The Park, caught the end of Flaming Lips and then marched up the hill. My first time at the Crows Nest and loved it. Was glad having been forced to give their JP slot a miss.

Craig David was the biggest surprise for me. I got dragged along based on the argument that we'd need a good spot for Corbyn then RTJ. Turns out I knew a few of his songs and didn't hate them, but more importantly his rapping and DJing were huge fun, getting everyone in the huge crowd joining in, even if like me they were only there for the following stuff. 

5 hours ago, garc1a said:

Theatre and circus stole it for me, spent loads of time there. Even spent best part of 30 mins walking around as an "air fish" with a group of others thanks to this man in the photo... 

Talking of which, does anyone know his name? I could swear i recognise him from a childrens tv show but i just cant place it. Help appreciated!

Er him on the left... Thats my ugly coupon on the right.

20170625_160209.jpg

That's Jonathan Kay!  Great fun, every year.

Yesterday the run of King Gizzard, Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes and The Killers was easily the best part of my whole weeked, really wasnt expecting to enjoy Frank as much as I did.

Let down was The National. Yeah they sounded great but a subheadline slot with 5 new songs from an album thays not out yet, was odd.

11 minutes ago, captainglen said:

Toots van had broke down! We were walking around Shangri la and on the old hell stage it said on the screen they were up next so we luckily caught them! Was gutted never showed at West Holts! They played when Ratboy should have been on! 

Ah, well, glad they played in the end! Must have been great there.

I agree with Kate Tempest. She delivered and then some. My set of the weekend. Multiple 'something appears to be in my eye' moments. 

I discovered Lucy Rose at Avalon, who spoke movingly about how her travels have influenced her music and direction. 

Thrill Collins were delightful, turning the Bread & Roses from a venue people huddled in to get out of the rain into a whooping, enthusiastic singalong. 

Craig David, only went because there was nothing else and it was great fun.

Haim were really good on Sunday as well and didn't know what to expect going in.

Finally, the bootleg beatles with the orchestra. I was hanging and dragged myself halfway across site. Was front row with my coffee and it was a great way to start the day. How is it not the real John Lennon BTW?

1 hour ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

The Lemon Twigs were fucking fantasic also. I tried the album sometime but didn't take it seriously at all. Seeing them perform it live totally transformed my opinion. Then we sat and listened to them outside the Crows Nets (i think?) on Friday night.

Gutted I missed it. Planned on seeing them but last minute saw Lianne La Havas (who was brilliant).

Like many other Killers fans, Frank Carter was an absolute revelation. Would never have picked out going to see him before, but he totally ruled an audience where 50% weren't even there to see him. And dozens of girls have now got to experience crowd surfing thanks to him. Respect! Will definitely check him out again.

3 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

One of the surprises for me were the Moonlandingz.  What a visual performance from the band and Johnny Rocket in particular. Came on stage with his head wrapped in clingfilm, and usual red paint all over, was sick as he started, but delivered a mesmerising performance, supported by an excellent band. 

Their set doesn't to have been mentioned much on here, did anyone else catch them?

Yep I did and thought the same. Better than fat whites tbh and musically excellent especially the blond girl on vocals,amazing voice

Another vote for the incredible Frank Carter. So good I'm going to see him in Birmingham later in the year. Followed by Killers. I can't add anymore to previous posters.

Hamilton Leithauser. Amazing voice.

Moonlandingz. Puked to open and puked as a finale. But great in between.

7 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

An addition of Moderat from my earlier post. Really quite stunning performance and by far the best sound I heard all weekend

Missed the start of their set due to Goldfrapp coming on late/going over their time, but what I saw was ace. The vocals don't do too much for me and got a bit lost in the mix from where I was standing (maybe that's intentional? Haven't given them enough of a listen on record) but everything else going on was incredible.