Surprises

Matt42

Foo Fighters were better than when I saw them at MK Bowl on the Broken Leg tour, which half-justified me skipping Phoenix - but delivered nothing out of the ordinary. It was a good Foo Fighters show, lifted by the same old surefire highlights and bogged down by the same old self-indulgences.

Sheeran's strength lied in that near-as-damnit most casuals know his hits, thanks to his ubiquity - his biggest weakness for me was his setlist. I'm A Mess and Take It Back should have been Drunk and I See Fire. Definite lull with the former two. Agree on the loop pedal action too - not as well judged as when I last saw him.

So the big surprise for me then was Radiohead. Made no bones about the fact I'm a casual fan rather than a hardcore nut - but unlike the many other casuals who griped about there not being enough hits, I found most of the first half thoroughly engaging. Though Myxomatosis was brilliantly straight-forward and EIIRP chaotically fantastic in its harmonies.

And then they played FPT at the end of the encore. Even though I was half expecting it, it surprised me more than Creep turning up two songs later regardless.

So, yeah. Radiohead exceeded my expectations in the most pleasing way possible. Hail to the thief.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Radiohead were surprisingly bad due to the amount of new stuff which I did kind of expect but had hope for more older stuff

But only 8 of the 25 songs were from the last 10 years, they played over half of OK Computer, and the only 2 songs off the new album were out the way by the third song! How is that too much new stuff?

Sorry if I sound defensive (I obviously am), but were you expecting more from The Bends? That seems to be the only old stuff that wasn't played extensively (excusing Pablo Honey).

Edited by fowls

1 minute ago, fowls said:

But only 8 of the 25 songs were from the last 10 years! How is that too much new stuff?

Didn't even realise that, I am a casual fan in all honesty so realistically wanted more of the bends and Kid A, don't like anything after those 2 albums

In terms of surprises:

confidence man at Williams green - went to see them based on a 30 second YouTube clip, they were the most fun set of the weekend. Not a huge crowd but everyone was dancing from start to finish.

frank carter - never seen a frank carter live performance before. Unreal. Sure the majority were there to see the killers but don't think anyone can have failed to leave a fan.

the xx - expected to find it a bit dull but they were awesome

plenty others that were great (royal blood, hacienda, Sasha and digweed, the killers, slaves) but I was already a huge fan of all those 

Birdy - I knew she'd be great live with her voice but absolutely blew me away.

First Aid Kit - As above. Have seen them once before but their time spot and the way they completely owned the Pyramid was a joy to see.

Frank Carter - Never seen before but to say he blew the roof off is understatement of the weekend.

On the other side of things, Sheeran just did nothing at all for me and totally regretting not going back to JP after Biffy to catch London Grammar who sounded like they were amazing!

The xx set was wonderful. Truly special for me and not something I was expecting going into it. 

I was totally gutted at The National, my biggest hope but their setlist just made me not enjoy it. It should have been the hits back to back considering they were only given one hour. 

Theatre and circus stole it for me, spent loads of time there. Even spent best part of 30 mins walking around as an "air fish" with a group of others thanks to this man in the photo... 

Talking of which, does anyone know his name? I could swear i recognise him from a childrens tv show but i just cant place it. Help appreciated!

Er him on the left... Thats my ugly coupon on the right.

20170625_160209.jpg

Edited by garc1a

Just now, EighteenSixty7 said:

Yeah! The band made the difference for me. I'm a very casual Kano fan but I'll be checking his last 2 albums out now.

Big fan of his last album! Felt the crowd were really into him and he seemed to be loving it, even managed to pull up a couple of his tunes with the band and everything. It's K AAAA!

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

The XX, Frank Carter, The Killers and The jacksons were all my highlights and I wasn't expecting any of them to be that great. The killers was one of the best things I have ever watched and I'm not even a huge fan. Also Heck playing in the train in shangri-la, the guitarist crowd-surfing was one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Radiohead were surprisingly bad due to the amount of new stuff which I did kind of expect but had hope for more older stuff

New stuff? They only played two from their latest release. Swap reckoner for creep and it was perfect 

Royal Blood were the biggest surprise for me. Got down to get a good spot for Radiohead, wouldn't consider seeing them otherwise but they were very good. And the mini mosh pit going on down the front added to the atmosphere. Don't know if I'd want to see much more than an hour as not much variety, but was great all the same. 

Actually Friday at the Pyramid was very good. Radiohead incredible, but First Aid Kit were even better than the last time I'd seen them. And I love the XX, they were great at their own gig but pretty bad on the Coachella video. I thought they'd struggle to fill that stage in the daytime but they owned the place. Possible future headliners IMO. 

Biggest disappointment was the Foos. Weren't terrible and Everlong was a festival highlight but too much rubbish in there. Fowls summed things up well in their post.

One of the surprises for me were the Moonlandingz.  What a visual performance from the band and Johnny Rocket in particular. Came on stage with his head wrapped in clingfilm, and usual red paint all over, was sick as he started, but delivered a mesmerising performance, supported by an excellent band. 

Their set doesn't to have been mentioned much on here, did anyone else catch them?

3 hours ago, fowls said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading 2007 (and they looked like they were going to punch each other on stage!). 

God yeah. They were terrible that night at Reading 07. Kiedis had a strop didn't he and walked off stage. Cue guitar noodling for 30 minutes to fill the time. Boring - we left. I'd seen them earlier that year in Hyde Park too and they smashed it!

Flaming Lips. Never seen them live before. Nothing will ever top that set.

Anderson Paak was great. Adored Yorkston, Thorne & Khan - got a signed CD, lovely blokes.

Saw Echo Town in Croissant Neuf. REALLY, really good. Chatted to lead singer afterwards, nice Irish lad who plays a mean digeridoo.

Thought Biffy smashed it on Pyramid TBH. Loved their set.

Surprised at how good Craig David was. Remarkable.

Bit disappointed by Mark Lanergan. Went to see him to restore balance after Dua Lipa (way too Radio 1 for me). I love his music but he looked and performed like one of the undead. Shame.

Shaggy was my highlight. I listened to them a lot when I was younger but I didn't expect to feel so energised and emotional. I cried real life happy tears for a good while after they'd finished. Flaming Lips were spectacular!! I'd never seen them before but have heard that they put on a fantastic show... and that they did! Wayne Coyne certainly knows how to impress the crowd, Zorbing into the crowd, coming on stage on a unicorn, inflatable characters and confetti everywhere. Hacienda Classical got the party started and got everyone in the mood. I haven't seen a bad set this year!

Kiefer Sutherland... His set in Avalon really took me by surprise. It was my favourite performance of the festival (well equal 1st with Radiohead), for being just so much fun. He and his band had a really great time and so did the crowd. Took this photo of them rocking out. As the saying goes, he/they smashed it! 

IMG_3188 copy.JPG