Surprises

Matt42

Who surprised you this year? For better or for worse?

London Grammar really impressed me, probably one of the sets of the weekend - same with Royal Blood, I thought they were so professional up on that stage

Pearson Sound garage set in London Underground blew my head off - wasn't expecting that to be so fucking incredible, also Heidi demolished genosys!

Ed Sheeran was unsuprisingly boring - left after 4 songs to metronomy who I thought aced it!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Ed Sheeran sounded awful, easily the worst of the times I've seen him. Messed up the loop pedal on several songs. Katy Perry was also disappointing - that's probably more to do with my very high expectations but still, starting with a new album track and then continuing to play them at regular intervals throughout was a bad call.

On the other hand Anderson .Paak blew my mind, I expected him to be good but not that good. By a distance the best of the televised sets, at least that I saw.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Anderson Paak was in my top 3 acts to see going in to the weekend and I was expecting to enjoy it. I was not expecting what we got though. It truly was one of the best sets I've ever been to. 

Id have his babies. 

My only disappointment was Solange. Just boring as hell. 

Katy Perry might have been bad but I didn't really notice because I was bladdered and was being preoccupied with a shit ton of glitter. (I apologise to the people that were around us)

Killers smashed it, and Jain last night was a revelation, so glad I decided on seeing her at such a busy time. 

I was literally borderline crying the entire First Aid Kit set.. absolutely beautiful stuff.

Spent Run The Jewels on the pit with the most aggressive moshing I've I've been in followed by hugs all around (the rinse and repeat).

The XX sounded other worldly that evening, special stuff. Think I'll get goosebumps to the first few more of Intro for the rest of my life now.

Songhoy Blues on park was an immense party.

Im feeling very bittersweet right now!

I wasn't surprised at how good they were, but The Killers was a life-changing set. I had a falling out with them after they went on X Factor a few years ago, but that set bought everything back to me and I'm in love again!

The biggest disappointment for me was probably Foo Fighters. I think they are great, and I've seen them a couple of times before. I was so hyped to see them, but actually ended up leaving because I was so bored with the talking and dragging songs out for hours.

Craig David was biggest suprise for me. Wasn't even planning on seeing him but was getting some food from that top Nosh place on road to WG and was enjoying it so much I made my way into the crowd. Great stuff from him and everyone was having a good time bopping about the place.

Jools Holland for me, the wife wanted to see him, I wasn't that fussed but went and had an absolute scream, loved it.

Some of the random stuff we saw around the circus and theatre was unbelievable as well, one act in particular on the Sunday in the big top brought me to tears as it was that stunning, think it was Ockhams Razor doing Tipping Point

I also knew she'd be good but i was tingling by the time Lorde finished with Green Light, she's an absolute superstar in my eyes 

nice surprise - Forest Swords. Never heard of them before but thanks to a tip off from @bennyhana22 went to have a nosey and really enjoyed the set.

disappointing surprise -Biffy. Didn't feel the love for the set. Maybe because it was at the Pyramid stage, which I detest for many reasons, or may be the crowd, who knows. Walked off and found a better set.

London Grammar for sure, one of those bands I had never bothered to check out before. That voice is incredible! 

And Foos for *all* the talking, and pretty much everything about the set being a lesson in what not to do whilst headlining. It should have been renamed the Dave Grohl chat show. AND DON'T SAY YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY UNTIL THEY CHUCK YOU OFF STAGE, THEN OVERRUN THE TIME SLOT WITH JUST 20 SONGS!!! Radiohead had a shorter running time with 25 songs, and the average RH song time is way more than the average for Foos. They used to only give 2 or 3 songs the long jam treatment, but it seemed like every song was interrupted by talking and/or a tedious jam.

Props to Dave for recognising that they don't play Wheels much because no one likes it. Maybe that's a good reason to never play it ever again?

I used to be a massive fan of Foos in the late 90s/early 00s, but they've gone full on head-first-plummet era Queen now (which is kinda fitting for all the bloody Queen they played). 

I'd go as far as to say that the Foos were the second worst headliner I've ever seen, beaten only by Red Hot Chili Peppers at Reading 2007 (and they looked like they were going to punch each other on stage!). Such a shame when they really blew Wembley Stadium out of the water.

Edited by fowls

The xx and Craig David where my highlights. There wasn't much in the way to interest me when i first saw the lineup so just followed my Girlfriend around and ended up having a great time. 

Wish I had made it into the field for The Killers though.... Tried sneaking through the hedgerow but was rumbled by security. 

Loads of surprises for me, probably the best Glastonbury ever for consistently good/fun sets...a right mixed bag but all of this lot really surprised me with how good they were...

Napalm Death

Frank Carter

King Gizzard

Jools Holland

Thurston Moore

The XX...and probably lots more but I'm very hungover right now

and a special shout out to the Killers and the crowd for what was probably the loudest crowd I've ever been in!

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah Ed Sheeran sounded awful, easily the worst of the times I've seen him. Messed up the loop pedal on several songs. Katy Perry was also disappointing - that's probably more to do with my very high expectations but still, starting with a new album track and then continuing to play them at regular intervals throughout was a bad call.

On the other hand Anderson .Paak blew my mind, I expected him to be good but not that good. By a distance the best of the televised sets, at least that I saw.

I enjoyed it but something was missing, give him credit though, live footpedalling, switching guitars mid song while rapping is fucking hard but it didn't all come together. Personally skipping Liam after 2 songs and gettingout the clusterfuck to see Perry was a great move, thought she was great and really gave it all whereas Liam was w*nk and hearing Oasis tunes didn't make me more interested due to it.

43 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I wasn't surprised at how good they were, but The Killers was a life-changing set. I had a falling out with them after they went on X Factor a few years ago, but that set bought everything back to me and I'm in love again!

The biggest disappointment for me was probably Foo Fighters. I think they are great, and I've seen them a couple of times before. I was so hyped to see them, but actually ended up leaving because I was so bored with the talking and dragging songs out for hours.

They would have been good to see but others I hadn't so no complaints, 100% imo they are playing one of the next two years it's on headlining. 

I agree about Foo's, liked them but chuck another 5 songs in and shut the fuck up....you don't have to continue just because of the crowd, got as annoying as Green Day's I say heyyy oooh

34 minutes ago, endswithMJ said:

I'm a huge fan of biffy clyro but my lord, I thought their set was incredible. Best time I've seen them. That was them throwing down all the reasons why they should headline in the future 

I am from Puzzle onwards and have to say they fucking wacked it out, so fucking loud at the end, one complaint in that rearrange was shit but I think it's bollocks and Medicine too but not as bad, no Machines but fair I've seen it loads and hadn't Stingin Belle. Gold Rule was fucking huge! It's very hard to argue a better set but for pure party Craid David smashed it too and Chic.

The XX, Frank Carter, The Killers and The jacksons were all my highlights and I wasn't expecting any of them to be that great. The killers was one of the best things I have ever watched and I'm not even a huge fan. Also Heck playing in the train in shangri-la, the guitarist crowd-surfing was one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Radiohead were surprisingly bad due to the amount of new stuff which I did kind of expect but had hope for more older stuff