Headliners 2019

nban2010

Not a clue after Arctic Monkeys tbh.

Maybe Beyoncé if she's back around by then, maybe Drake.

Think Kendrick will do Wireless next year and then doubt he'll have a new album by Glasto 19, if he does though he'd probably be a good shout.

Like others have said I'm not sure I can see Foals making the step up now. Feel like their next album will be no bigger than their previous two. Think they're in a similar place to Biffy now and won't make it.

Maybe The 1975 but I think they'll do R&L instead in 2019.

Like others I'm also wondering whether The Killers' secret set was tied in with a headliner agreement, but it does feel like a pointless booking and I doubt they'd want both them and Arctic Monkeys after 2007 so that'd probably push AM back to 2020.

Don't think Fleetwood Mac or the Roses will do it.

Think Elton would only be given the legends' slot.

No idea. Can we just have Radiohead again?

Arctic Monkeys nailed on I reckon.

A bit far away to judge the rest but I'd say Killers are in with a shout as Green Day did a secret set in a tent at Reading and then headlined the following year. 

Depeche Mode could possibly to do it after all this talk?

Foals/XX/Tame Impala might be ready with another album by then... 

1 hour ago, Yokel Again said:

2002 - Worst headline performance ever? Certainly that I've seen.

Wasn't around then but I think you'd have been pretty gutted to pick the Coldplay/Stereophonics/Rod Stewart year yeah. I actually like Coldplay but that's a shocker, especially compared to the year that followed 

2 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Can you imagine? And then not getting a ticket! ARRGGHHH! My heart broke the day they split up. 

Ha yes. Especially if they only played nothing after Automatic and brought back the likes of Radio Free Europe etc. 

I'd like to see my beloved Red Hot Chili Peppers headline Glastonbury, ideally in the Frusciante era but that's long over now. I'd still welcome it. They follow the trend of the likes of Muse, Coldplay and Foo Fighters and Radiohead, the kinds of bands that headlined Reading, Leeds and V Festival in the naughties quite regularly.

8 minutes ago, battleborn said:

How about:

Main Stage

Friday Swedish House Mafia subbed by Chemical Brothers

Saturday Arctic Monkeys subbed by The Killers

Sunday R.E.M subbed by The Verve with ABBA in legends spot.

Other Stage

Friday The 1975 subbed by Bastille

Saturday Boy Better Know subbed by Lethal Bizzle

Sunday Chase and Status subbed by Major Lazer

one of the strangest predictions I've ever seen

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Why? It might be a bit expensive, but it's be one hell of a party.

Don't wanna sound like I'm having a go at you but....

Swedish House Mafia would not headline the pyramid, not in a million years.

ABBA in the legends slot is never going to happen

Arctic Monkeys are very likely I’d say, but The Killers would be a surprising sub

BBK will not headline Other two Glastonburys in a row. Lethal Bizzle wouldnt sub Other.

I expect Bastille will have dropped off a lot by 2019, cant see them getting any bigger than they are now

Chase and Status subbed by Major Lazer are too similar, you rarely get a two big dance acts following each other on the Other stage (e.g in 2015, Deadmau5 was subbed by Bed Howard I think). Don't think Major Lazer would sub Other the year after headlining it

I appreciate the optimism and I think you're probably bang on with Arctic Monkeys but overall I just don't think that line up is very likely. A couple of others you've mentioned may pop up (chemical brothers, The 1975) but probably not in the slots you've mentioned. I think maybe you've gone for very similar acts playing below the respective headliners, which isn't always the case.

Edited by rhg_99

Royal Blood or Arctic Monkeys

Florence

Beyoncé or Gaga

Would LOVE to see Florence and the Machine have another successful album come out over the fallow year. Get the main headline announcement she deserves after that amazing 2015 bumped up headline set.

Couple "Dreaming" headliners -
Daft Punk
Fleetwood Mac
Kendrick Lamar

Edited by Walker2295

43 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Why? It might be a bit expensive, but it's be one hell of a party. Most of them have played the festival before as well, which'd help.

It's way too unlikely and there's plenty you've listed that just won't happen full stop imo. Swedish House Mafia aren't headlining Glasto, and The Killers won't be subbing the Artic Monkeys.  That's before we get onto the likes of REM and ABBA, but if it's more of a list that you would want to see (rather than think it'll be) it maybe makes more sense ;)

16 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Why not? They sold an arena tour out when they split up, attracting 58,000 people to Milton Keynes for crying out loud. They have some of the biggest tunes of the past decade in "Don't You Worry Child" and "Miama 2 Ibiza". and "One" They'd need to reform and release an album on the same level as Until Now in late 2018/early 2019, but I genuinely think they could do it. Might piss off some of the traditionalists. That's before you fill the set out with Axwell, Ingrosso and Angello's sole careers and guest performances from guest singers on some of their tracks. It'd be a curveball admittedly.

Despite their size, they're just not a Glastonbury headliner in my eyes. On top of that most people won't know who they are. There is a certain degree to which Glastonbury headliners have to be a household name. Over on the Kendrick Lamar thread a while ago people were saying that that is a reason why Kendrick might not headline yet, bcos he is not as much of a household name as previous hip hop headliners (Jay Z and Kanye). I also just don't think they're big enough, not for Glastonbury.

I agree with you that The Killers probably aren't headline size anymore.

16 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Yeah I suppose Eavis wouldn't pick them again, what's your argument against Lethal Bizzle subbing the other?

Lethal Bizzle isnt as big as Lorde, Stormzy or Emeli Sande, and I dont think he will be by 2019.

I'd argue that Bastille are already starting to drop off. The new album didnt do aswell as their first I dont think? Also those young fans you mention will have grown up by then and most likely their music tastes will have developed. I may be totally wrong though.

Edited by rhg_99

7 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Why is there such hostility against the idea of Swedish House Mafia headlining on this thread? Other bands have headlined after less than 3 albums, and other electronic/dance acts have headlined? I'm mean if Chase and Status can sub download (and get a decent reaction, even more), anything's possible!

Yeah, you're right. With their string of number one singles, platinum albums, plethora of stadium gigs and constant touring over the last 5 years, they're a sure thing!

3 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Most people would know who they are. Anyone who had a radio in 2012/13 has heard Don't You Worry Child more times than they care to remember similarly for One in 2010. As I've stated already they would have to release another album prior to doing it, but if it came anywhere closer to Until Now then I think they would be big enough.

Fair enough mate, I disagree but just a difference of opinion I guess :) two/three big radio hits ain't enough to headline the Pyramid 

2 minutes ago, battleborn said:

One of Glastonbury's strengths has always been an ability to move with the times and adapt it's line-up to this. I genuinely think there's a headliner spot waiting for a band like Swedish House Mafia in the next few years. I don't think they should be restricted to places like Coachella when they are good enough, and a album away from being big enough, to headline Glastonbury. If they get there act together that album can come out in time for 2019's festival. There's been a lot of surprise Headliners ever since Beyonce, Swedish House Mafia are capable of being the next. As are many other bands,

Steve Angello alone commands high fees for shows - I honestly can't see a) Glastonbury asking them and B)b ) Them being interested

Why play Glastonbury when you can play vegas, get a million in a night