Headliners 2019

nban2010

Didn't Kasabian plateaued  about 10 years ago?  They seemed to get the big slot mainly by being just about big enough and available when there were no other better options available.

I'm really quite unhappy with this injection of facts into the discussion of whether they could headline, although I will make one rose tinted observation on the starting sales of album 2 vs 3; the first week sales of an album are generally a lot more about the previous album's reception.  People didn't rush out to buy Coexist because it was a great record, they rushed out to buy it because the debut was so good.  Similarly, the slower sales of I See You were more about the disappointment of Coexist.  It will be very interesting to see if album 4 sells more quickly.

Incidentally, I've just noticed a "deluxe" edition of I See You has appeared on Spotify with a couple of new tracks and a demo on it.  

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Didn't Kasabian plateaued  about 10 years ago?  They seemed to get the big slot mainly by being just about big enough and available when there were no other better options available.

That was a dreadful booking, though - and ideally we want to minimise those rather than using them as justification for more and more along the same lines.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The XX are better than Biffy*, but they still feel too subtle and intricate to be a successful Pyramid Headliner.  It's not just about size and record sales - it's also about charisma and firepower.  What's good for soundtracking a dinner party doesn't necessarily translate to stadiums.

Well, Adele headlined with a ballad-fest and Ed Sheeran headlined with a mostly acoustic show... even Radiohead aren't really about 'charisma and firepower'.

14 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

The XX are going from strength to strength these days.

Disagree there, it's entirely subjective. Their biggest strength by far was their debut album, which is quite long ago. Most famous, best selling, most hits. And they know it - even this year they played more songs from their debut (6) than the new one (5).

Coexist disappeared as quickly as it arrived, it's seen as a massive disappointment and other than 'Angels', it doesn't have a single song that belongs in an headlining performance IMO.

heir new album is better, but it isn't selling as well, doesn't really have any big hits, and isn't shaping up to be in AOTY contention. They're not even present for most of 'AOTY so far' lists - seems outshadowed by Kendrick, Fleet Foxes, Lorde - and that's before Arcade Fire, National, QOTSA, LCD even dropped, all expected this year. By the end of the year, no one will remember their album outside fans. No big hits, not a big seller and nowhere near AOTY.

Unless they come up with another huge album like their debut - can't see them being headliners.

Also, how come no one seems to discuss LCD Soundsystem, Kendrick Lamar and Lorde? all seems likely candidates IMO. First two already did Coachella with great success, Kendrick is shaping up as legend, Lorde's shows is brilliant and she keeps coming up with hits, while being different and maintaining quality in her works.

Edited by yaniv297

Just now, yaniv297 said:

Also, how come no one seems to discuss LCD Soundsystem, Kendrick Lamar and Lorde? all seems likely candidates IMO. First two already did Coachella with great success, Kendrick is shaping up as legend, Lorde's shows is brilliant and she keeps coming up with hits.

Just speaking for LCD, they headlined Other to a pretty small (if excellent) crowd last time they played.  They'll have to make a big splash with this new album to get bigger and not smaller as the reformation buzz wears off.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Just speaking for LCD, they headlined Other to a pretty small (if excellent) crowd last time they played.  They'll have to make a big splash with this new album to get bigger and not smaller as the reformation buzz wears off.

Maybe they're more popular in America than England (I live in neither so I wouldn't know), but they headlined Coachella, Outside Lands, Bonnaroo and other US festivals with great success, and also European ones like Primavera. Which is a lot more than the XX ever did. If the new album's a success, I can see it happening. Also their music is a lot more dancy and upbeat and fits well to a festival show.

Seems like the reformation has really elevated their status somehow, I don't recall them headlining nothing before it. And they jumped to headliners with no new material...

Edited by yaniv297

Just now, yaniv297 said:

Maybe they're more popular in America than England (I live in neither so I wouldn't know), but they headlined Coachella, Outside Lands, Bonnaroo and other US festivals with great success, and also European ones like Primavera. Which is a lot more than the XX ever did. If the new album's a success, I can see it happening. Also their music is a lot more dancy and upbeat and fits well to a festival show.

Obligatory T in The Park photo:

screen-shot-2016-07-13-at-11-25-17-pm.pn

6 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Well, Adele headlined with a ballad-fest and Ed Sheeran headlined with a mostly acoustic show... even Radiohead aren't really about 'charisma and firepower'.

Radiohead at least occasionally operate on a widescreen, epic sort of scale.....but then, case in point - by starting off with a fair bit of their more minimalist, abstract, tricksy material they lost a good chunk of the crowd.

Adele has as much charisma as *anyone* that's ever played on that stage and tends to paints in broad brushstrokes.  They may be ballads, but they're rarely subtle and that's what plays well to a vast audience.  Don't underestimate the power of a Skyfall or a Set Fire To the Rain.

Edster?  Well....he didn't exactly tank, but he seems not to have laid waste to the place like Adele did.  His songs are popular enough, but maybe the gig was just too unassuming.

I hate "Deluxe" editions.  

Did you like the new xx album, with it's climactic closing song?  Then you'll love this new Deluxe edition with 2 b-sides and an acoustic demo randomly tacked onto the end!

Makes even less sense when they appear on streaming services, where they could have just been listed as singles.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Obligatory T in The Park photo:

screen-shot-2016-07-13-at-11-25-17-pm.pn

Oh well, wasn't aware of that. But isn't T in the Park mostly mainstream? Doesn't seem they'll fit there. Plus clash with RHCP + Awful weather...

It's just weird that a band headlines every American festival with great success but doesn't seem to make it in England.

Just now, yaniv297 said:

Oh well, wasn't aware of that. But isn't T in the Park mostly mainstream? Doesn't seem they'll fit there. Plus clash with RHCP + Awful weather...

It's just weird that a band headlines every American festival with great success but doesn't seem to make it in England.

That was a lot worse than the Glasto crowd to be fair, but that's a terrible crowd.  Headlining that stage too.  Even at Glastonbury, the crowd stopped just behind the mixing towers.  A wonderful crowd from there onwards, but not a big one.

1 minute ago, yaniv297 said:

I'm not really sure that's true about American festivals - I don't know whether hindsight has changed this, but from what I remember at the time their Coachella crowd was considered extremely small.

40 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah LCD Soundsystem and Lorde aren't headlining unless something dramatic happens, and I'm a massive fan of both. Kendrick doesn't look likely either, although unlike the other two he'd at least be suitable for it.

I still think both are more valid options than the XX, who peaked with their first album and never really took off.

If Kendrick was a rock act, he'd be headlining for sure. He's got everything. However Glasto are notoriously difficult about hip hop acts headlining, even Kanye West and Jay-Z had their trouble, so it might be difficult for him.

Lorde isn't ready now to headline, but she will be in the future. She OWNED the other stage, she's got a fair share of hits, she puts on a great show, and she's got the 'quality' stamp (not just mainstream trash). Unless her third album is flop - seems unlikely - she'll get there sooner than later IMO.

31 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Lorde isn't ready now to headline, but she will be in the future. She OWNED the other stage, she's got a fair share of hits, she puts on a great show, and she's got the 'quality' stamp (not just mainstream trash). Unless her third album is flop - seems unlikely - she'll get there sooner than later IMO.

What if her second album was already a flop?

Edited by dentalplan

1 hour ago, yaniv297 said:

Also, how come no one seems to discuss LCD Soundsystem, Kendrick Lamar and Lorde? all seems likely candidates IMO. First two already did Coachella with great success, Kendrick is shaping up as legend, Lorde's shows is brilliant and she keeps coming up with hits, while being different and maintaining quality in her works.

Lorde was brilliant this year, but think album 3 would still be to soon for her.

As for Kendrick, I'm as big a fan of K.Dot as your likely to find on these boards but I think the fallow year will be the festivals undoing if Kendrick is on their radar as I think R&L will have him headline next year and the tour cycle for DAMN! will finish late 2018. Unless he drops another album early 2019 I don't think Glasto would book him off the back of an album which would be over 2 years old.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

She's not even sold out 1 night Manchester Apollo yet, been on sale 3 weeks. The National sold out 2 nights within a couple of days, and the Pyramid crowd were all sorts of not bothered by them.

So honestly, how come she owned the other stage - while clashing with Radiohead, no less - and the National got a lukewarm reception while not crashing with anyone too major (Stormzy maybe)?

Maybe their decision to play 4 new songs in a row influenced this though...

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

She's not even sold out 1 night Manchester Apollo yet, been on sale 3 weeks. The National sold out 2 nights within a couple of days, and the Pyramid crowd were all sorts of not bothered by them.

Perhaps if the Lordstress were to don a prosthetic beard and start banging on about swarms of bees then the good people of Manchester would clasp her to their collective bosom.