Headliners 2019

nban2010

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

What position is that? They're far from the only band whose record-selling ability has long since faded to dust yet somehow still manage to sell out gigs like nobody's business.

Yeah but a lot of those bands are big heritage bands who were huge at one point. DM are huge in Europe, nowhere near as big in the UK, their records have rarely sold spectacularly here and yet they're selling out a stadium here far into their career. 

Just now, arcade fireman said:

Yeah but a lot of those bands are big heritage bands who were huge at one point. DM are huge in Europe, nowhere near as big in the UK, their records have rarely sold spectacularly here and yet they're selling out a stadium here far into their career. 

oh right I see what you mean now. Yeah I don't understand that either. Maybe it's a load of Europeans buying tickets and making a weekend in London out of it. Reverse Werchter type thing.

26 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I do hope at least one headliner is somebody nobody has ever heard of yet. If the Festival continues to book classics, it will die.

Hurm. I don't disagree with your essentially progressive perspective here, but a headliner roster of, say, Swizzle, Beyonce and Daft Punk would be forward thinking enough and still full of household names.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Hey now.

Arctic Monkeys have phoned in two forgettable headline performances that disappointed almost everyone........but they've got a new album coming out so it's their turn again.

I mean... 2013 was far from forgettable.

maybe in a demographic different to mine. I've met many people who've said "I wish I could have been there when Arctic Monkeys headlined".

14 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

The honourable gentlemen makes a reasonable intervention but one song which will be six years old by then is hardly catering to that crowd like the bookings of Ed Sheeran, Coldplay, Adele etc have done over the last few years.

Perhaps but that's just a marker of what sorta pandemic the robot boys can create. And as soon as they come back with new tunes (I imagine they will if they are to tour) then it'll be Get Lucky all over again. It'd practically be number one choice of act across all ages in the few months following that.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

I seem to be in a minority, but I was at AM's 2013 set and really enjoyed it.

I was at it and can't remember a fucking thing.  Was really looking forward to it, but remember waking up thinking what the fuck happened last night.

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Nothing for your Capital FM-listening 16-24 year olds, one of the fest's biggest demographics these days.

Stormzy or Catfish on the Other. Sorted.

45 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Perhaps but that's just a marker of what sorta pandemic the robot boys can create. And as soon as they come back with new tunes (I imagine they will if they are to tour) then it'll be Get Lucky all over again. It'd practically be number one choice of act across all ages in the few months following that.

Aye if they came back with another stonker it'd obviously help but I still think their appeal would be mostly middle-aged. The fest would look more balanced booking them alongside a slice of pure Capital FM heaven like Taylor Swift or Beyonce than alongside a double-bill of QOTSA and The Mode.

21 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Aye if they came back with another stonker it'd obviously help but I still think their appeal would be mostly middle-aged. The fest would look more balanced booking them alongside a slice of pure Capital FM heaven like Taylor Swift or Beyonce than alongside a double-bill of QOTSA and The Mode.

I disagree on this, Daft Punk's comeback would be huge across every demographic. It's difficult to overestimate the social media buzz their live comeback would generate - the Alive 2007 tour is still the stuff of mythical legend, they've been involved with and sampled by all sorts of artists from Kanye to the Weeknd. And with it being electronic music they're far more likely to be taken to by the younger crowd than if a rock band came back after all this time away. 

Not that there's a hope they'd play Glasto mind...

Edited by arcade fireman

4 minutes ago, battleborn said:

Depeche Mode aren't headlining, Daft Punk headlining is more likely and that's not happening either. this is turning into another round of Kendrick Lamaar here; neither are big enough to headline Glastobury. Anyone under 25 or so is going to go "who the fuck are Depeche Mode?"

The ideal line up is a mixture of a household name band that made there name in the early noughties, a household name singer/ band from this decade and another band from earlier in time; either one of the mega-stars of the 90s or 80s - as we're getting to the point 60s and 70s heritage acts are dying off.

So we're looking at a line-up that looks something like one of these;

Coldplay / Royal Blood / Blur

Oasis** / Iron Maiden* / The XX

The Stone Roses / The 1975 / Arctic Monkeys

Muse / Arctic Monkeys / Lady Gaga (dependent on next album)

Fleetwood Mac / Bon Jovi / Taylor Swift

*or another 80s/90s heritage metal band such Aerosmith, Kiss etc 

**obviously they'd have to get back together

Ah I thought we were gonna discuss who it's gonna be for the next twenty months. Good job you've cracked it early on.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, battleborn said:

That's exactly what I am doing, they could all be wrong, but I doubt. 

Ok fam but abruptly saying that band x headlining won't happen while people are balancing the merits and shoving cheeseboard of names plucked from thin air into the middle is what I'd say is the opposite of discussing. Just let it ride out, we'll have plenty of time to talk about Bon Jovi's appeal to today's young people.

13 minutes ago, battleborn said:

That's exactly what I am doing, they could all be wrong, but I doubt. 

I bet you a crisp tenner that it will not be a single one of these sets of headliners

Ill go for Arctics // Beyoncé // someone new like Tame Impala, The 1975, or a pop star who's only 14 now but will take the world by storm in the next 18 months

Edited by Steve1000

2 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

I bet you a crisp tenner that it will not be a single one of these sets of headliners

Blimey! First a fiver made of animal parts, and now a tenner made out of a crisp! Whatever never? Kendrick Lemar From Fame Academy headlining Glastonbury?

• Upvote 1