Headliners 2019

nban2010

59 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

I would be very surprised if the demographics at that Olympic Stadium gig even came close to that at Glasto. I'm 31 and I know no one who likes Depeche Mode, that's not to say they don't have loads of fans but they haven't been relevant for decades and neither are they enough of a heritage act such as The Who, Springsteen etc to override that. 

I agree. I'm old enough to remember their first appearance on TOTP. They had loads of hits through the 80's and still retain enough fans to tour arenas and the odd stadium show here. That said, I don't know many (one comes to mind) people who are fans. I really don't think enough of their songs are well known enough now for them to be genuine pyramid headliners. That last sentence also relates to an act like Pearl Jam. A big act, yes, but not well known enough for crossover appeal.

53 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Therein lies the problem, these bands being boosted up to headliners just aren't good enough or original enough to sustain it for a long period. Only really Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon have become bonafide headliners over the last decade and yet they play festivals to death so it gets tiresome seeing them headline everywhere.

Where is the next big British band coming from? Too many bands out there who think Oasis are the pinnacle of music and are devoid of any originality or charisma. Where are the next Clash? The next Joy Division? The next Blur? 

I accept that Oasis have influenced a shitload of awful indie bands that have came through since then, but Oasis were bloody good man. Liam and Noel went to see The Stone Roses and that made them want to start a band. They didn't try and be a 4th rate Roses though. The Courteeners, Catfish etc seem to have done exactly that, with Oasis.

1 hour ago, Alan_C said:

I accept that Oasis have influenced a shitload of awful indie bands that have came through since then, but Oasis were bloody good man. Liam and Noel went to see The Stone Roses and that made them want to start a band. They didn't try and be a 4th rate Roses though. The Courteeners, Catfish etc seem to have done exactly that, with Oasis.

I'm not really into Oasis, but I can appreciate the impact they had on British culture in the 90s and the last 20 years or so and they had a swagger and charm about them that made them stand out. The likes of Catfish are just rip offs with nothing to them except for hoping to attract their fan base, although I can't see anyone still singing their songs in 20 years time. 

19 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

The Who were shit. I, and many others, walked off after about 4 songs. 

If there'd been any exciting alternatives elsewhere beyond that weird FFS project, we'd have joined you. Atmosphere and band as forgettable as you'll get for a headline set at Glastonbury - and they had the cheek to end it dissing Kanye as though they'd been anywhere approaching better than him ! The first Brexit Britain headline set.

Edited by Zac Quinn

4 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

If there'd been any exciting alternatives elsewhere beyond that weird FFS project, we'd have joined you. Atmosphere and band as forgettable as you'll get for a headline set at Glastonbury - and they had the cheek to end it dissing Kanye as though they'd been anywhere approaching better than him ! The first Brexit Britain headline set.

8 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

I went to Chemical Brothers on Other which was class and then Milky Chance at the Gully which was even better. 

Oh and I had a halloumi cone

Edited by rpfranks

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Read a review once which called one of his albums "the halfway house between consciousness and death". Too wacky for Zaccy.

Bit of a nonsense review that, may as well call it half way between a casserole and a saag aloo if they're just making arbitrary comparisons.

On 26/06/2017 at 0:18 PM, Zac Quinn said:

The third has to be less 'Radio X' if the first two are the Royal Bloods and The Killers, surely

It's nice that 2019 is a bit unpredictable after this year's trio were basically nailed on so damn early

I remember the crazy days when we thought we were getting Radiohead, Daft Punk, Stone Roses!