2017 - How was it for you?

Dave_c

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A brilliant festival, the only thing that stopped it being the best was that I couldn't share it with my friends who were stuck at home.

Highlights: Foos the perfect Saturday night festival set, just brilliant. Ride, sublime. I'm going to say it, Busted were incredible. Chic were just fabulous and getting to see Napalm Death at Glastonbury was just amazing.

Lows: the queue to get in the earache express for Ho99o9. 45 minutes and didn't get in. 

Surprise: Ed Sheeran was great. Really impressed.

I had some good days, and some bad days. 

I went too hard on the Saturday, and it really ruined my Sunday which was my own fault, still feeling the effects now.

Positives: Excellent weather, royal blood, Anderson .paak, major lazer, Foo fighters, deaf Havana, slaves, Biffy & comfortable temperature at nights. Had some great moments of pure joy and escaping to the stone circle when I wanted to get away.

Negatives: went too hard on the Saturday night, got slaughtered and was sick. I didn't go with my girlfriend this year, and we've never spent more than a couple of days apart over the past 5 years, so when Saturday / Sunday came around, I was missing her.

Lastly, I found people were a lot more friendlier last year. Some utter ignorance from people who are only caring about no.1. Barging people out the way, stopping in groups in the middle of walk ways, I could go on.

Overall, I would give this year a 6/10.

Conflicted feelings to be honest. I do wonder if tiredness is playing into perceptions though. 

Was my second year after a 2016 debut and firmly in agreement that conditions on the whole couldn’t have been better. Dry, solid ground, strong cloud cover and near perfect temps. 

Camped in Park Home, after being in Darble last year - made my commute to the music an pleasingly easy one. 

Camped with a sound group of folk, only two of whom I knew - but got along mostly well with all.

Experienced Shangri-la and Arcadia for the first time, and made my first pilgrimage to the Glastonbury sign. 

So effectively all an improvement on the sludge mudbath of last year. 

But.

But but but.

This year, considerably less of the music clicked for me.

Friday was a brilliant run - Pretenders, The XX and Radiohead were all stonking.

But I just found myself finding it harder to get into others across the weekend. 

Run the Jewels and Chic were both excellent, such is the consensus - and I'd highly looked forward to both. But I just couldn't seem to get into either. 

Against reasoning in my head too, I plumped for Foo Fighters and Ed Sheeran on my evenings too. I had fully intended to do Phoenix on the Saturday - but laziness and a good Pyramid spot kept me away. And I plumped for the ginger troubadour over Justice in the hope he'd play my favourite song of his that he'd skipped at a rather good Manchester Arena gig in April (he ultimately didn't).

So in the cold light of day, sat in the train station of Burton-upon-Trent, I feel that I made two grievous errors there. Nothing wrong with either FF or Ed's sets - but nothing truly right either. They were both serviceable sets - but they didn't seem particularly special, in the way great headliners often change up for Worthy Farm (a la OK Computer material pushing out AMSP tracks on Friday).

I think when I've got home and got more than four hours of sleep under my belt, I'll be more magnanimous on the music. But on the whole, I don't feel I was as well engaged as in 2016 on a musical level. 

Still a weekend to savour and remember though - I feel that there was only my poor decision making to blame that stopped this exceeding 2016.

Smooth sailing.  From arriving at bath and West we got on a bus with no queue, got off to a gate with no queue or searches, short walk to camp and that was it, coming out got straight on a bus with no queue and am on the train home now.

Everything in between went equally smooth.

2 minutes ago, daconor91 said:

I thought it was magnificent. Please tell me someone else saw the Lemon Twigs on Friday at John Peel?? Absolutely blown away by them, and the singers are only 17 and 19!

Yep we did! It was fantastic wasn't it!! Keyboard player looked pissed off though. Those two lads, pure talent! Don't think they'll be playing the John peel again!

This was a really good year - don't think it has topped last year though, that really was a special year for me (despite the weather).

SE corner was great fun this year, and really got to enjoy the beat hotel and wow stage more than before! 

This really is a magical festival and I'm gonna miss it so much. 2019 feels like such a long way away, no idea what my life is gonna be like then since I'l have graduated and fuck knows what i'l be doing with my life.

this morning I sat and said goodbye to one of the most important places in my life... for now 

EDIT; on an upbeat note, Radiohead, Foo Fighters, London Grammar, Call Super, Hessle Audio, The XX, Royal Blood, Lorde, Katy Perry, Peggy Gou, Metronomy, Steffi & Virginia, Cab Drivers, Heidi. All fantastic!

Edited by Matt42

Just now, mikegday said:

Yep we did! It was fantastic wasn't it!! Keyboard player looked pissed off though. Those two lads, pure talent! Don't think they'll be playing the John peel again!

Yeah I think they will go far. That kid is a born entertainer. Even when he was behind the drums he was constantly showboating. I'm buying their album as soon as I get home

My first year (having done most other major UK festivals) and can 100% see why everyone holds Glasto up above all others.

Highlights: Foos, Royal Blood and Chic.

Lowlights: Delayed coach on the way in, my coach not leaving till 4 this afternoon and the crowds trying to get between stages.

Still can't get over the size of this place, saw some amazing stuff and very aware of so much I missed. 100% will come back!

2 hours ago, MilkyJoe said:

Have a feeling there's going to be universal praise for this year, from what I've watched of the coverage it seems like it was a belting festival and it's fantastic to see the site still looking so dry on the Monday morning. Undoubtedly the weather has helped everyone's enjoyment. Of all the years to miss!:(

Hope you all had a wonderful time.

I echo MJ. First year I've missed but from the TV, line-up, weather, surprises etc, when ME says it was the best one yet I'm going to have to whole-heartedly agree even though I wasn't there.

Roll on 2019!

Definitely my best year. Radiohead were amazing, seeing my favourite band for the first time on that stage with that setlist is unforgettable. Tears all over the shop at Daydreaming. Father John Misty, The Killers, Phoenix and Hamilton Leithauser but definitely my best year for music and weather yet. 

Despite having such a great time I don't think I'll miss it next year, done four years in a row so a year away from it feels like a welcome rest and for someone who gets as travel sick as I do I certainly won't be complaining about missing that part.

Without doubt the best I've been to yet - fifth time this year.

Music, weather, the spirit of the left, even the queue trough Tuesday night was entertaining!

Highlights: Rews, First Aid Kit, Bootlegs, Will Varley, Birdy, Corbyn on Left Field, Foos, Killers, Biffy, Kate Tempest

New Discoveries: Frank Carter (admittedly only to get a good spot for the Killers but bloody mins blowing!), She Drew The Gun and Noble Jacks

Disappointments: only very minor gripe the tired walk back to Worthy View late every evening but that's being hugely picky. 

What. A. Year

Absolutely amazing festival, this is my 13th and certainly in the top 3 of those. 

The Highs: 1. The weather, first time I've ever worn sandals at Glastonbury, for 2 days.

2. Seeing more bands than ever before, I saw 38 bands in all (Of course, quite a few of these were part sets)

3. Absolutely loved First Aid Kit, Radiohead, Carter Sampson, New York Brass Band, Callum Beattie, King Gizzard, Alsarah & The Nubatones.

4. Doing some special stuff, the Underground Piano Bar, and 4 1/2 hours at the front of the John Peel to see the fantastic King Gizzard, surviving the mosh circle of Frank Carter, and The Killers set

5. getting in & out: Tuesday morning took 20 mins to CV East, getting out this morning at the crazy hour of 2:45am just 10 mins. 

6. Meeting a good number of efest people

The Lows: 1. The sound on some sets (Jacksons), Kris Kristofferson poor

2.  missing out on Cinemargeddon even though I had a ticket

3. Finding the wonderful SE Corner too much to handle at peak times, hardly spent any time there, must be the age!

Where to start? 

Only my second year and the other was 2010 (so I've obviously done something right in another life to please the weather gods! ) 

Highlights - Front row for Flaming Lips, 2 back for Foos and 2 back for Killers. These are, undoubtedly, the three best musical performances of my life and they happened in the space of 48hrs!!

Other Highlights - Craig Charles, Tankus, Cabaret Field, Frank Carter (watch this on iPlayer if you weren't there!!!) 

Lowlights - wasting 15 quid on some wellies on Saturday morning, but at least I got a free hat :) . Other than that, literally nothing. 

Seriously, off the charts, I can't imagine how it could have been any more perfect. 

Edited by dannyj

A vintage year through and through. Beautiful weather, great line up

Highlights: Foos, Radiohead, Killers, Beans on Toast, Hobo Jones and the Junkyard Dogs

Lowlights: Nothing Major actually, went to see Kaisers and was not surprised that I found it rather stale. 

Surprised me: Craig David.

Issues: Gate D! Other stage being packed, bloody camping chairs getting closer to the front of the Pyramid Stage each year like a form of parasitic virus. Some notable food vendors were missing such as the Growler and the Tapas place to the left of West Holts.