2017 - How was it for you?

Dave_c

So people, how did 2017 rank for you?

I have been in 14, 15, 16 and 17 and I have to say that 17 was my best Glastonbury so far.

Arrived on Wednesday evening at around 9 and got straight in, no traffic, no queues and very lightly searched. Had camp set up in Darble just as the fireworks were going off. We had a great view of it from Darble. 

Highlights of the weekend for me were Radiohead and the Foos. I'm not a massive Foos fan but they blew me away. Other highlights were the Killers, Craig David (another one I don't like but I thought he was fab) Rag'nBone man, Biffy, the XX, London Grammar, Noisia and Layo and Bushwacka to name a few. Spent most of our time bimbling this year as opposed to trying to see as many bands as possible, which was great as we experienced parts of the festival we have never spent much time in.

Some low lights. People pissing everywhere and some knobheads running around. Sound at other stage was terrible every time I was there, they really need some repeater speakers in that field.  Toots & Maytals not playing on West Holts was a bummer.

And finally the weather. How bloody great was the weather! Bit windy at times but apart from that it was perfect.

Left last night as OT has to work today so am going to spend all day watching back some things I saw and some things I didn't.

Going to be a long long wait until 2019!

Edited by Dave_c

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd say it was a vintage year. The weather, standard of acts and general atmosphere were all second to none. 

Sets of the weekend: Kate Tempest, Lianna La Havas & Justice. 

Discoveries: Lucy Rose, Thrill Collins.

Unexpected delight: Craig David

Acts I wanted to see but didn't: Ani DiFranco, London Grammar.

Lows: Feeling my age a bit!, crowd control issues (on Wednesday entry and throughout), West Holts dodgy sound. 

The crowds at the other stage yesterday were horrendous, although thousands of people having picnics around the stages really doesn't help, nor does the food stalls along the edges.

Edited by Dave_c

Fantastic festival, although ended up getting sunburned yesterday (I always forget sunblock on Sunday!)

Highlights: The Flaming Lips, Rag n Bone Man

Lowlights: sound at Other, it's awful! 

Surprised me: Paul Carack, some great tunes and a cracking voice

Had time to wander through Theatre and Cabaret this year, never done that before. A tiny theatre company did a juke box sing along thing that made me howl laughing.

See you all in 730 days *too soon for the countdown thread?

Edited by Bluebeth

This was my 3rd one. Enjoyed it much more than last year, the weather defo helped with that.

I feel like it may have been my last one. I feel like over the past 3 years it's got progressively more crowded and I think I'm at my peak of what I'm personally able to tolerate. Defo ready for home.

Highlight: Lorde

Lowlight: Big acts in tiny venues. Not talking about TBAs but Busted and Birdy being in Avalon.

Second visit after the mud bath of 2016 and this was much better even though I had a blast last year. 

Generally the mood was much better and even with the huge crowds/bottlenecks the large majority just got on with it. I had to sacrifice a lot of later nights this year as had to be up for a 6am litter picking shift each morning but it's shown me an amazing side to this amazing place. Soaked it all in since last Monday and I'm now physically wrecked and in need of a lot of sleep but this year was very very good indeed. Some very hot temperatures at the start of the week and ending yesterday in the sun at The Killers and then Biffy was lovely. 

Also got my chance to meet Michael and Emily at separate points and thank them both for all they do. Both very friendly and Michael has time for everyone. 

Can't wait to come back. Thanks Glasto 2017 you have been a pleasure. 

By a million miles the best of the 3 so far 

Highlights- Foo Fighters was the best 2 hours of my life. Paul Carrack for the 2nd year in a row was stunning. Killers, liam Gallagher and Royal Blood all fantastic.

Weather was perfect and people as wonderful as ever. 

Low lights - first night some dick moved my tent (dragged), broke a pole and nicked pegs. I had spares and it held up so could be worse

People who pushed to the front for headliners, only to leave mid way through. Especially annoying at ed sheeran, loads of teenage girls singing every single word but couldn't really see because of groups of lads in their 20s and 30s who then shoved them to get out

Extra highlight - just remembered i have leftover doughnuts

My 11th and I think the best.

Highlights - Flaming Lips....unicorns, confetti canons, flames, Wayne Coyne zorbing over us singing Space Oddity, trippy visuals, peace & love, crowd awesome. NOTHING will top this gig in my life. Ever.

So many other highlights...Chic, Foos, The Orb, Stormzy (I was down the front), Yorkston Thorne & Khan, Biffy, the rave up at Greenpeace etc etc

Lowlights - having to sack off Justice to head home. Caught their set on 6 Music. Banging.

And the weather helped!

Edited by phillyfaddle
Typo

15 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Cracking. This compost toilet is even clean enough to sit on!

Indeed it was and quite pleasant if you visited them at the right time of the day. The ones in pylon yesterday afternoon were absolutely vile though, filled up until almost overflowing.

Have a feeling there's going to be universal praise for this year, from what I've watched of the coverage it seems like it was a belting festival and it's fantastic to see the site still looking so dry on the Monday morning. Undoubtedly the weather has helped everyone's enjoyment. Of all the years to miss!:(

Hope you all had a wonderful time.

7 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Have a feeling there's going to be universal praise for this year, from what I've watched of the coverage it seems like it was a belting festival and it's fantastic to see the site still looking so dry on the Monday morning. Undoubtedly the weather has helped everyone's enjoyment. Of all the years to miss!:(

Nah, think this was my worst one.

Shame really

23 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Missed this year - but 100% agree with the above. I REALLY felt it this year, every band on the box was great and was devastated to miss Radiohead. Of all the years to miss!!!!! Nevermind. Hope everyone had a blast. 

3 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Really why!

Coach issues (6 fucking hours late) on wednesday forced us to camp in dairy ground right by gate D.

Thursday i went too hard and was in bed by 8.30pm

Friday I shat myself and 'lost my phone'

Was dead all day saturday cause of the friday hijinks

Sunday was aight other than the night out being shite

Monday having more coach issues, not entirely sure whats going on or whether theyre gonna turn up but theyre at least 2 hours late.

Currently lying on an airbed in dairy ground right by the path to D being jealous of all these bastards who have a reliable source of transport

I think how good you found it is down to personal circumstances.  It can depend on who you were with, what choices you made, even how well you slept.

But the festival itself was amazing - the weather was fine and there was so much to do everywhere you went.

It was my 15th festival and definitely in the top 5 of my favourite ones.  Having to leave on the Sunday being one of the reasons it wasn't personally the best one ever, but that's no fault of the festival itself.  

I think they've done a great job in adding more and more things every year. And finally they've had a dry festival to show off how beautiful all everyone's hard work really is.

5 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Coach issues (6 fucking hours late) on wednesday forced us to camp in dairy ground right by gate D.

Thursday i went too hard and was in bed by 8.30pm

Friday I shat myself and 'lost my phone'

Was dead all day saturday cause of the friday hijinks

Sunday was aight other than the night out being shite

Monday having more coach issues, not entirely sure whats going on or whether theyre gonna turn up but theyre at least 2 hours late.

Currently lying on an airbed in dairy ground right by the path to D being jealous of all these bastards who have a reliable source of transport

Well of all the reasons for having a bad day I guess shitting yourself is up there with the best. Lessons learned for next time buddy. I'd still take your festival over mine!

Phenomenal. This was my third after 2015 and 2016. What can you say, we were blessed with absolutely perfect weather, even though the Wednesday was bloody boiling I think even that added to the experience and it only hung around for one day. After that it was like somebody wrote a script for perfect Glastonbury weather. I'm not really sure where to start with highlights, we didn't see tons of bands, we just picked a couple of things each day and wondered from place to place. I'm getting on a bit now (mid thirties) but we never went to bed before 3am and last night it was gone 5am and fully light before I made us pack it in due to the long drive home today. The Food we ate was fantastic, it was just amazing and magical, what a place.