Peeing on the land - festival not doing enough

Thunderstruck

The festival constantly preaches about not peeing on the land but seemingly do feck all about it. It's so frustrating, what do they expect people to do? Police themselves. My guess is there's no real threat to the festival over pollution and that's why they don't bother stopping it.

2 hours ago, paulfoel said:

20-30 mins queue for the toilet. What are you going to do? Piss yourself or piss up the hedge?

In the campervan fields the toilets werent emptied on sunday night/monday. In our field there was 1 out of 10 cublicles usable. What do they think is going to happen?

Can't comment on the campervan fields bit but the rest is a big exaggeration isn't it?

I think the only queues I saw were at the main stages after an act had finished.  It wasn't difficult to walk a little further to find toilets without a queue at all.  For instance after Chic I was busting to go but managed to walk to Williams Green where I walked straight in to a cubicle.  I didn't queue all weekend.  It's really not difficult and no excuse to piss anywhere else.

On 27/06/2017 at 2:43 PM, paulfoel said:

20-30 mins queue for the toilet. What are you going to do? Piss yourself or piss up the hedge?

In the campervan fields the toilets werent emptied on sunday night/monday. In our field there was 1 out of 10 cublicles usable. What do they think is going to happen?

how about taking a lenor bottle and using that ? 

On 2017-6-27 at 2:43 PM, paulfoel said:

I was in cvw, the first field you drive in off the lane. Those toilets were spot on as far as field toilets go ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the festivals behaviour on it is weird though - more urinals this year, but still often only up one side of the space and a hundred idiots pissing up against the fence.... 

There's a lot more they could do if they really wanted to cut it down. I miss the low-sided ones around the pyramid area so you didn't end up missing the act at all too

On 09/07/2017 at 1:30 PM, frostypaw said:

Some of the festivals behaviour on it is weird though - more urinals this year, but still often only up one side of the space and a hundred idiots pissing up against the fence.... 

What bugs me the most are the morons who actually queue for the urinals, then when inside they p*ss against the blue sheeting rather than in the urinal itself....as if that's ok!

I mean, why would you do that???

There's no excuse for pissing on the ground. None. If you're a grown adult you either hold it in until one's available, or be smarter with your toilet visits so you don't end up at the point of bursting. 

As an aside, I lost the amour of times I walked up to a longdrop with a huge queue, only to walk round the other side and find almost no one there. Don't think I waiting any longer than a few minutes for one the whole 5 days. 

On 24/06/2017 at 8:54 PM, Thunderstruck said:

The festival constantly preaches about not peeing on the land but seemingly do feck all about it. It's so frustrating, what do they expect people to do? Police themselves. My guess is there's no real threat to the festival over pollution and that's why they don't bother stopping it.

There IS a very real threat to the festival.. The water table around the festival is checked twice a day 

My friend does the pee patrol and like he says you can't stop everyone and as has been said here if there is a super long queue and you want to see something then hey you go. 

Just so you know any person working the pee patrol and were caught peeing themselves were kicked off the job and kicked off site.. 

I can't remember the year maybe 1999 /2001 but I can remember that the water table was fucked that's why Mr E spent thousands on massive sewage tanks and the like. 

Anyway my point is that they really do take peeing on the land seriously... 

BUT the should also bring back the green police.. They were great 

On 27/06/2017 at 2:43 PM, paulfoel said:

I didn't have those delays, but went to most stages and as a middle aged git needed to use  the loo.   I could envisage peak times at pyramid or JP being particularly busy maybe? 

In East 24 the loo was still usable Sunday night and Monday up to about lunchtime when I left. 

12 hours ago, guypjfreak said:

There IS a very real threat to the festival.. The water table around the festival is checked twice a day 

My friend does the pee patrol and like he says you can't stop everyone and as has been said here if there is a super long queue and you want to see something then hey you go. 

Just so you know any person working the pee patrol and were caught peeing themselves were kicked off the job and kicked off site.. 

I can't remember the year maybe 1999 /2001 but I can remember that the water table was fucked that's why Mr E spent thousands on massive sewage tanks and the like. 

Anyway my point is that they really do take peeing on the land seriously... 

BUT the should also bring back the green police.. They were great 

Well if they take it seriously why not put a member of staff on the urinals - a real problem point for this kind of thing. I didn't see a single person on pee patrol for the whole festival. I saw probably 100s pissing on the land and not one person was challenged, except for some aggressive idiot I decided to shame myself.

If the festival want to get people on board, the people need to see a more visible effort by the festival.

Heading down from the railway just past The Glade to your left there is a row of fencing with a stream behind it and an access ladder down to the stream to a water testing point. Big sign saying water testing point. Guy stood right in front of the sign - eye level - pissing into the stream. At the water testing point.

+1 for the return of the Green Police.

23 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

Well if they take it seriously why not put a member of staff on the urinals - a real problem point for this kind of thing. I didn't see a single person on pee patrol for the whole festival. I saw probably 100s pissing on the land and not one person was challenged, except for some aggressive idiot I decided to shame myself.

If the festival want to get people on board, the people need to see a more visible effort by the festival.

There are tons of  things that happen, whether you see them personally or not. 

From what I saw this year was better than most I've been to for peeing on the land (or lack there of).

The loos at the back of WH where always crazy busy (mind you I've never noticed WH having such a busy year) but it was far quicker popping over to the ones the other side of WG. 

I know it's horrible but a significant amount of pee getting onto the land must be from broken/leaking urinals. I'm not really sure how they can maintain them whilst the festival without it getting a bit grim though.

On that note who are these idiots putting litter in the urinals? 

Just now, clarkete said:

There are tons of  things that happen, whether you see them personally or not. 

How many people were challenged and stopped for pissing on the land? Was anybody removed from the festival? What are the numbers? 

There's posts buried in threads now but a fair few were commenting on the lack of any visible efforts to challenge the pissers. 

4 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

How many people were challenged and stopped for pissing on the land? Was anybody removed from the festival? What are the numbers? 

There's posts buried in threads now but a fair few were commenting on the lack of any visible efforts to challenge the pissers. 

They obviously took no notice of the thngs being done then.
Every camp site had stewards etc policing it and people were removed if they repeated after being warned.

I saw two people being taken away by security having been caught. One next to long drops near West Holts and the other on the railway line.

The festival does not have to provide figures - and if you really think it is all made up maybe you would like to lead the legal challenge over the fine they got.

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The festival does not have to provide figures - and if you really think it is all made up maybe you would like to lead the legal challenge over the fine they got.

Indeed, the festival have been working on this for years, but it's a huge place with hundreds of thousands of people and several thousand toilets.  

If you walk through most big towns or cities at night you will see people doing the same at some point. 

I was there with someone in 2010 who was exasperated about where blokes pee. 

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/Information/advice/toilets/

It probably didn't help this year with everyone being grown up and keeping hydrated lol then being dicks and pissing.. I agree that even though there are loos within a few minutes walk there is a need for more men's urinals... But I really think it is at tat unfair to say that the festival doesn't take it seriously old son... 

Compared to the older years the whole place is a Palace... 

33 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Indeed, the festival have been working on this for years, but it's a huge place with hundreds of thousands of people and several thousand toilets.  

If you walk through most big towns or cities at night you will see people doing the same at some point. 

I was there with someone in 2010 who was exasperated about where blokes pee. 

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/Information/advice/toilets/

Not just blokes - I saw several ladies squatting here there and anywhere for a piss.

43 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Not just blokes - I saw several ladies squatting here there and anywhere for a piss.

In 1984 I was at Monsters of Rock in Donington and a lass in the crowd commenced squatting over the foot of my pal, before he realised what was about to happen. 

Mind you, one of the daily routines there was throwing plastic bottles full of piss arcing into the air through the crowd. 

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They obviously took no notice of the thngs being done then.
Every camp site had stewards etc policing it and people were removed if they repeated after being warned.

I saw two people being taken away by security having been caught. One next to long drops near West Holts and the other on the railway line.

All I'm saying is from my personal experience at a number of busy urinals over the festival period. I'm glad something is being done, but clearly there's room for improvement. If the festival did get fined this year I don't think they could stand there and say they did all they could.

9 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

All I'm saying is from my personal experience at a number of busy urinals over the festival period. I'm glad something is being done, but clearly there's room for improvement. If the festival did get fined this year I don't think they could stand there and say they did all they could.

They can't police thousands of toilets.  

Nobody can deny that it's one of the strongest messages they convey to attendees every single year and they have tried a number of different initiatives about having urinals in areas of high popularity over the years.