The size of the crowds

kalifire

4 minutes ago, formed a band said:

Well I simply concurred with another poster, and while I agree that the admin must be difficult it perhaps appears they have bitten off more than they can chew while it seems numbers across the board remain large and or perhaps increase . 

One of the major reasons they had to install the super fence was for crowd control. Numbers today are far less than pre-fence days, and I don't think the issue is the numbers but rather the demographics of the crowds and making sure the distribution is balanced. Key to that would be them understanding the audiences and making sure that the line-up is arranged to attract the appropriate numbers to the various stages, at the right times.

Sound levels- this actually causes at lot of issues. Although they stagger the finishing times, having to keep the levels lower after a certain time kills the atmosphere at various stages (see the Jackson thread). Silver Hayes for example is often a victim of this - there's nothing worse than watching a bass heavy performance and being able to hear yourself speak. Poor atmosphere means people wont come/stay.

Secret sets causing crushes could be avoided by having them inside venues with entrance queues, like Thom Yorks dj set in Heaven a couple years back. Also keeping them truly secret? I must admit I don't really get the point of the "secret sets" in their current form, maybe they should just announce the acts and plan accordingly.

Things like the fireworks which have narrow entry points and two way traffic definitely need fixing.

• Upvote 2

I read somewhere Emily Eavis explaining they've done a bit of work on the timings of acts to avoid clash issues. Looking at the main stages on the clashfinder it does look like there is less over-lap between acts on the stages so it may lead to larger shifts and change overs putting areas under pressure? Not on site this year sadly so can't say from my perspective but that may be a bit of it.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, johntrfc said:

Crowd at rag n bone man dangerously large, crushes on the walkway 

Mental, they are watching from the path looking over the stage that goes towards Avalon. Fortunately made it to oumou Sangare on west holts where I seem to be one of the only people here. Makes a nice change.

13 minutes ago, johntrfc said:

Crowd at rag n bone man dangerously large, crushes on the walkway 

From the TV it looks like the people down the front have tons of room around them, as in actual large gaps between people. Seems to be a common problem that people see a large crowd and stay put at the back rather than moving forward where there's tons of space

2 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

yep, bigger crowd than last night's subs got, but the Pyramid still looks less than full for Gibbo. ELO seem to have permanently killed off the era of the 'mega legend' being the number one draw of the weekend.

Don't think it's ELO's fault. More the lack of touring artists about who could fill that spot. 

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Don't think it's ELO's fault. More the lack of touring artists about who could fill that spot. 

to a certain extent but it's also a psychological thing innit. in the same way Lionel's crowd was boosted by the 2014 legends slot making the front pages of the national newspapers and people wanting to recreate that atmosphere the next year, the interest in Barry playing is going to have been damaged by 2016's legends slot being a total non-event. probably didn't help that they didn't make anything of announcing it though, either.

Edited by Zac Quinn

6 minutes ago, addicted2noise said:

Whats that three times in five years (I think Kenny Rogers did it twice as well), I wonder if the smaller crowd is due to the TBA at John Peel?

quite probably. the previous humungous Legends Slot crowds have meant the other stages being completely empty, and it's not like there were many at Kodaline just now.

Edited by Zac Quinn

5 hours ago, whoozyschmoozy said:

From the TV it looks like the people down the front have tons of room around them, as in actual large gaps between people. Seems to be a common problem that people see a large crowd and stay put at the back rather than moving forward where there's tons of space

This is massively the problem I've seen. Got closeish (sound stage distance) to other and had loads of space but getting in and out is a nightmare. Same on JP and WG.

People seem to be clogging the outside of fields more and making things difficult.