The size of the crowds

kalifire

3 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

That from the back of the Pyramid field, facing down the hill? I'd been wondering about Biffy's crowd size.

Yes, top right facing the stage. If a bands started and I'm that side I'll aill always try to come in top right and assess my options from there.

If that corner is swarmed with people when your close, like ED was last night, that's my sign that the field is stupidly busy and to find an alternative spot 

Was watching Jamie xx DJ set at the beat hotel Sunday and it was fairly quiet. The leavers from Ed Sheeran made it completely impossible to enjoy though as it quickly became way too packed so attempted to leave. Horrible crush as people swarmed towards the John Peel direction to leave. Was getting quite heated between a few too. Definitely the worst I've seen it there

3 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Yeah Barry Gibb looked absolutely heaving from the view I had from the sign but reports have said it wasn't that big a crowd?

Loads of space but just spread out, we easily moved out, along the top track and from one side of the field to the other st one point.

It was a perfect crowd tbh, so much fun, big but not dangerous, space to dance and move. Inflatable balls being batted around near the back, such a good afternoon 

I was really surprised by how crushed West Holts was during Thundercat. For a stage that's pretty much doubling as a crossroads it was unpleasantly packed tight. Never seen it like that before. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if John Peel becomes open air in the next few festivals.  The new field is great, but really doesn't maximise the crowd it could hold. Especially with that bloody bar playing loud music DURING the sets.  Move that bar and the whole area could be used for a pretty big crowd.  Keeping London Grammar on that stage was a big mistake IMO - how could they go from headlining to subbing the same stage?!

Speaking of London Grammar, this was the first time Ive had to walk around the peanuts stage crowd to get from the West to the East - what a nightmare!!!! Can anything be done to improve the flow? People standing on the path waiting for Sheeran were pretty frustrating in their inflexibility.

Edited by fowls

I was caught in the crush between John Peel and the Pyramid when The Killers had finished. The queue was completely solid with people pressed against each other. Then some idiots started pushing their way through causing people to start to topple onto the people in front. It got to the stage where kids and some adults were crying and it was becoming difficult to take in a full breath. I had to take a child who was in difficulty and sit them on my shoulders and then stayed with her mother until we got to the Wood. Seriously scary. I genuinely think we weren't too far from a serious incident.

14 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I was caught in the crush between John Peel and the Pyramid when The Killers had finished. The queue was completely solid with people pressed against each other. Then some idiots started pushing their way through causing people to start to topple onto the people in front. It got to the stage where kids and some adults were crying and it was becoming difficult to take in a full breath. I had to take a child who was in difficulty and sit them on my shoulders and then stayed with her mother until we got to the Wood. Seriously scary. I genuinely think we weren't too far from a serious incident.

The problem was that the whole of efests knew it was them a week ago....everyone on glastochat who follow efests knew it pretty much was, take into consideration how big the actual stage is as well. Added to that anyone with secret glasto got the tweet referencd on saturday somebody told me, I heard people saying it was then at caramageddon saturday lunchtime.

36 minutes ago, fowls said:

I was really surprised by how crushed West Holts was during Thundercat. For a stage that's pretty much doubling as a crossroads it was unpleasantly packed tight. Never seen it like that before. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if John Peel becomes open air in the next few festivals.  The new field is great, but really doesn't maximise the crowd it could hold. Especially with that bloody bar playing loud music DURING the sets.  Move that bar and the whole area could be used for a pretty big crowd.  Keeping London Grammar on that stage was a big mistake IMO - how could they go from headlining to subbing the same stage?!

Speaking of London Grammar, this was the first time Ive had to walk around the peanuts stage crowd to get from the West to the East - what a nightmare!!!! Can anything be done to improve the flow? People standing on the path waiting for Sheeran were pretty frustrating in their inflexibility.

Been going from one side to the other of the pyramid most of the weekend for the first time aand it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Quickest way seemed to be going past the mandela bar to the top of whatever campsite that was and just cutting around the back, going down the left hand path facing the pyramid and out by the cider bus or vice versa. Dodged pretty much all thick choke points of crowd density that way. Managed it easily for foos, biffy and chics crowds

48 minutes ago, fowls said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if John Peel becomes open air in the next few festivals.  The new field is great, but really doesn't maximise the crowd it could hold. 

Not really sure what they'd do with John Peel if it wasn't in a tent though. They've worked very hard to make all five of the main stages visually distinguishable from each other, but take the tent away from JP and unless you made it open-topped or something equally silly it'd either be identical to the new Other Stage or identical to West Holts.

11 minutes ago, jonodillieono said:

Been going from one side to the other of the pyramid most of the weekend for the first time aand it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

Quickest way seemed to be going past the mandela bar to the top of whatever campsite that was and just cutting around the back, going down the left hand path facing the pyramid and out by the cider bus or vice versa. Dodged pretty much all thick choke points of crowd density that way. Managed it easily for foos, biffy and chics crowds

I always do this. Having been caught in jams in the past, I realised that it's easier to get where I want to by going up and over rather than staying on the roadways. After any headliner I always wait 10/15 minutes for the crowd to thin out too. I still get caught in some people jams but less now than I used to by going alternative routes.

1 hour ago, fowls said:

Thundercat was so heaving I couldn't have a brothers cider with my Goan fish curry! Impossible to cross the field and nowhere to sit 

6 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Thundercat was so heaving I couldn't have a brothers cider with my Goan fish curry! Impossible to cross the field and nowhere to sit 

THIS IS A TRAVESTY!!! SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!

You poor thing.

Never seen congestion like I did yesterday pm. Headed for Killers, but was clear I wasn't getting in the tent so left an hour before they started.

headed out to west holts for  shaggy. Also packed, so went over to Chic and had a great time there. Then headed back to JP for goldfrapp and got stuck in the total gridlock. Little bit scary at points.

Aye we tried to get from Chic to goldfrapp before the end of their set and couldn't get through the crowd. Second time I've missed Goldfrapp now and would have been no point leaving earlier as JP was closed. Sacked it off and went up to Stone circle and chilled for a bit. 

Also never seen queues like that before for the loos. Normally easy enough to walk to the next ones but you definitely had to walk that bit further if you needed a widdle. 

Hmm interesting. I kept commenting to my friend how the crowds were a lot emptier than previous years and it was a lot easier to get around.

I must have just got lucky as I managed to get out of The Park on Friday night with no fuss, compared to the crush after Richard Hawley at the same time last year.

Masses of room for Gibb and Foos too and I was preparing myself for uncomfortable crowds.

Guessing I just got the timings perfect and missed everything.

2 minutes ago, Titters said:

Did anyone see how much of a crowd BBK pulled last night?? I've nearly heard them mentioned, but interested to hear how the pretty bold placement went for them, hope they got a good turnout. 

Seen a few reports saying it was a pretty small crowd. Not embarrassingly so, but stick anybody up against an act like Sheeran and they'll struggle, and BBK were a smaller than usual Other headliner to begin with.

Not sure what it was like further back (could've been a case of everybody just stopping half way like I noticed all weekend) but there was noticably quite a bit of room up front for Justice as well.

3 minutes ago, Alcatraz said:

Did anyone actually see The National?

Because the Avalanches was rammed so wandered down to Other, past a rammed Lovdbullets, past a rammed Glade and in to a very busy Other

I was there in the front circle and it was pretty noticeable that even most of the people that were there were just getting a place for Foos. Didn't see further back but they were always gonna have a smaller than usual sub crowd what with still being quite a cult act and being up against some stiff competition (namely Stormzy).

Edited by FloorFiller

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Seen a few reports saying it was a pretty small crowd. Not embarrassingly so, but stick anybody up against an act like Sheeran and they'll struggle, and BBK were a smaller than usual Other headliner to begin with.

Not sure what it was like further back (could've been a case of everybody just stopping half way like I noticed all weekend) but there was noticably quite a bit of room up front for Justice as well.

Thought Justice was reasonably busy  as far back as the flags